George Lucas to retire from blockbuster filmmaking

You've all been very mean to him

In news that is certain to go down well with a certain section of our regular users, George Lucas has revealed that he is “retiring” from the business of making blockbusters, and will instead focus on more personal filmmaking.

The quote comes from an interview with the New York Times in which Lucas describes the difficulties he encountered in getting WW2 drama Red Tails made, and how he couldn’t find anyone to distribute a more epic, straight-laced version of the script.

“I can’t make that [kind of] movie,” he complained. “I’m going to have make this kind of… entertainment movie. [So] I’m retiring. I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”

And as for the fans who have consistently berated him for his near-constant tinkering with the Star Wars series, Lucas had a few choice words for them too.

“On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’”

So he won’t be making any more, then? “Why would I make any more,” sniffs Lucas, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?” So long as that rule also applies to the Indiana Jones series, we completely agree… Red Tails opens in the US on 20 January 2012, with a UK release date yet to be confirmed.

Are you pleased to hear Lucas is folding up his director's chair? Tell us, below.

Comments

• Indianabones

Jan 18th 2012, 8:27

awwwwwwwwwwwww diddums

• minorityreport

Jan 18th 2012, 8:30

Three star wars prequels, endless tinkering with the original trilogy, kingdom of the crystal skull - George Lucas has been very mean to US!

• Azazeal4eva

Jan 18th 2012, 8:50

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• writerdave87

Jan 18th 2012, 9:20

I'm so happy right now. After Crystal Skull I'm not surprised he couldn't find funding, the useless tubby little a*s.

• JamieTSB

Jan 18th 2012, 10:13

It is easy to prod at people at the top when one is below them. He might be unable to write convincing dialogue, and should realise he is a better producer than director, but Mr Lucas has had a huge impact on every cinema goers life. Cinema would be a lot different without George.

• chaosdefined

Jan 18th 2012, 10:14

"But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it" If it wasn't for the sheer amount of producers, actors etc stopping him from making the original Star Wars movie how he wanted it to be, then he wouldn't have had a career!

• LiamRed

Jan 18th 2012, 13:15

All you g*****n angry nerds on here make me f****n sick. Why are you complaining?! If it wasn't for him you wouldn't have any Indiana Jones or Star Wars films to enjoy or complain about whatsoever, since it obviously seems to give you so much f****n joy! And he can do what he f*****g wants they're his movies and at least he had the ability to come up with them in the first place. So stop acting like he injected you with aids you deluded f*****g rejects!

• ChrisWootton

Jan 18th 2012, 14:51

Spot the Jar Jar and Crystal Skulls fan.

• DanRose

Jan 18th 2012, 15:06

LiamRed..... Calm down dear. No one is denying his impact on cinema.... but that was a long time ago... and we can't excuse the last twenty years of absolute drivel the man has given us.

• StevePotter

Jan 18th 2012, 15:10

Ok, he's retiring, can we PLEASE stop giving him s**t for literally everything he does?!

• MikeyRix

Jan 18th 2012, 15:19

^ It'll probably be "Say, remember that guy who [insert negativity]?" "Nope." "Neither do I."

• Trickycustomer

Jan 18th 2012, 17:08

if it was paul ws anderson retiring instead then i would be happy. i'm amazed lucas has buckled under pressure from fans. if i was him i'd keep making films and not give a s**t what people thought. ah well

Jan 18th 2012, 17:49

Its not like he's got a 3D re-release of a film no-one liked in the first place or anything is it?

Jan 18th 2012, 18:32

-Comment censored by congress- and the horse he rode in on!!!

• writerdave87

Jan 19th 2012, 0:09

Ha. Paul WS anderson would recast Milla Jojovitch to play Indiana Jones, add some alien spaceships then add lots of CGI slow motion b******t...

Jan 19th 2012, 20:30

We can't allow George to rape Indy again.

• jobson685

Jan 20th 2012, 15:57

If someone with the clout of Lucas is frustrated with the system and is walking away then should we not be worried that we are in for a period of play it safe and sure from those who make the big decisions. Hopefully Red Tails is so good that he has a change of heart. Don't like everything the guy has done but I'd hate it if he had a great idea and just didn't bother.

• leeroy

Jan 20th 2012, 18:43

Well Mr Lucas,I salute you (and am eternally grateful to you) for kick-starting my lifelong love of film with the original 'Star Wars' trilogy.And for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and Industrial Light and Magic.In other words,I salute the OLD you,the near-mythical visionary writer,director,producer of some of cinema's most magical movies and the man solely responsible for completely revolutionising the special effects industry.Unfortunately,ALL you've managed to do since 'The Last Crusade' is tarnish your own legacy and lose the faith and trust an entire generation of fans placed in you.Shame.

• Jawsphobia

Jan 21st 2012, 3:00

Give it a rest, George Wales, author of this article. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark; fine, but it was no Phantom Menace. It was a compromised effort, but not a disaster. Red Tails is actually an excellent movie, and one expects more entertaining than the "epic" version Lucas apparently wanted to do (cramming in every story the airmen told him, which would have been a mess). Lucas did not direct this, or Crystal Skull; very skilled people in the craft of directing handled the job. So in effect he seems to have retired from directing with Revenge of the Sith (which includes scenes directed or at least storyboarded by guest director Spielberg). I don't look at this as retirement if Lucas is true to his word and makes his personal films, which I will watch eagerly but with lowered expectations. The guy is human and likely is hurt by the honesty that (too late) comes his way by non-employees. He says he thinks Empire is "the worst" SW movie, but likely knows deep down it is the best. He wants to take a jab at prequel haters like myself. I don't hate the person though, despite his failure to be the God I envisioned him to be as a child.