Gerard Butler stars in first trailer for Olympus Has Fallen: watch now

President in peril

The first trailer has arrived for Antoine fuqua's Olympus Has Fallen, in which the White House is the setting for a balls-out action thriller.

Aaron Eckhart plays the president of the US, while Gerard Butler is his closest bodyguard. Together, the two of them will have to go full badass when the White House is overrun by terrorists.

Fortunately, Morgan Freeman is also on hand to pull the strings from outside the combat zone. And Gerard Butler also hasn't forgotten how to get Spartan in the face of danger...

Take a look, below:

Gleefully OTT action flicks are few and far between these days, and this one has a high-concept set-up to genuinely catch the imagination. Put simply, we're sold.

A new poster has also been released, and you can see it below:

Co-starring Dylan McDermott, Ashley Judd and Angela Bassett, Olympus Has Fallen will open in the UK on 19 April 2013. It beats its White-House-in-peril rival - White House Down, starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx - out of the gate by several months, with WHD arriving on 2 September 2013.

What do you think of the new trailer? Tell us, below!

Comments

• BobTheSkull

Jan 23rd 2013, 12:07

I miss these kinds of films. Audiences these days are too wrapped up in 'oscar potential' and plot details, or are completely the other way and obsess over visuals and specific named A-listers. I think this looks like top fun! It actually reminds me of what Die Hard used to be like.

• QuietLife

Jan 23rd 2013, 12:47

Gerard looks like he's soiled himself in that picture.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jan 23rd 2013, 12:59

does this mean a return to good, exciting action flix without apology? This looks fun, just what action films used to be. Bring it on.

• irishbrian

Jan 23rd 2013, 13:11

Such Fun, Can`t Wait.

• SiMan

Jan 23rd 2013, 13:39

Wasn't there rumours of this storyline being used as a sequel to Air Force One and would have had Harrison Ford back kicking terrorist a**e. Even if it wasn't supposed to be a sequel, I'm sure i read it in TF ages ago about their being a script floating around about the White House under siege and there supposedly being loads of hidden, secret passages all over the building that would be worked into the story.

• mango1902

Jan 23rd 2013, 14:07

BobTheSkull, RaveyDaveyGravy, did you both not manage to catch Dredd and The Raid last year?

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jan 23rd 2013, 14:15

mango1902, saw The Raid, loved it!! I will see Dread, when I can. Just saying I want my action flix to be exciting, comedies to be funny, horror to scare me. Too many films don't, this one looks like a return to fun exciting overblown action.

Jan 23rd 2013, 14:50

Yeah a thick-neck 80s action throwback is where its at!, Had enough of these glum Bourne-like touchy-feely heroes (although Bourne is ace). Don't know about the title though, Commander-in-Grief would have been better if it didnt sound like a Adam Sandler movie.

• SiMan

Jan 23rd 2013, 15:49

Hahaha, Commander-in-Grief

• liseleveillee

Jan 23rd 2013, 15:53

This one I want to see. I'm not too sure about White House Down as to me Channing Tatum is only hunk material and not leading man material and I can't imagine him carrying a movie alone where Gerry Butler has done it in the past, being the lead.

• Trickycustomer

Jan 23rd 2013, 16:09

I like the look of it even if it has a certain cheesy action vibe. could of been a die hard film if it starred john maclane lol

• weetiger3

Jan 23rd 2013, 16:45

"Put simply, we're sold." Ditto. This looks like all kinds of sit-in-the-dark-munching-popcorn-root-for-the-good-guys-hiss-at-the-bad-guys-matinee FUN! And Butler deserves a break. He's better than most of the material he's been getting. (Although I fully believe that what a lot of actors sign on for and what we see in the finished product are often two different things.)

• thedanieljson

Jan 23rd 2013, 17:12

The action looks great, but Butler's hero seems pretty bland, boring, and humourless. For all the Die Hard comparisons, he's not going to be a John McClane.

• smellyhands

Jan 23rd 2013, 17:26

I was hoping for more of a B-Movie vibe.

Jan 23rd 2013, 23:21

lol that looks ridiculous.

• Monkeynuts30

Jan 24th 2013, 7:39

I like the look of it but that title is killing me... when Hollywood starts comparing its seat of government to the home of the Gods, I get nervous.