Get a first look at Mickey Rourke in Iron Man 2

Meet Whiplash

We’ve been waiting for a while to see what Mickey Rourke looks like in Iron Man 2, and now we have our first taste.

USA Today has the pic, which you can see below. There’s also some confirmation on the character – he’s a Russian take on the Marvel villain, named Ivan Vanko.

And, from the evidence of this, it’s a raw, Mark I-style version of his suit. “The technologies are definitely related," director Jon Favreau tells the paper. "That's part of the core theme of the film."

But while the team over at Screen Rant are speculating that he’ll soon switch things up for a more complication version funded by Sam Rockwell’s nasty business type Justin Hammer, Favreau warns us not to expect the usual.

"We like to play into and against the expectations that people might have, so we mixed it up a bit.”

This is Whiplash’s first outing – disrupting the Monaco Grand Prix and no doubt attempting to lay the smack down on Tony Stark with his core-powered whips.

"It was very important that the villain be as compelling as can be,” says Favreau.

“Once I thought of Mickey in that role, it made me understand how to shape the story."

It’s a little Mad Max-meets-Gladiator if you ask us, but we can’t wait to see it in action…

[Source: USA Today]

Excited by this pic? Still looking forward to more Iron Man action?

Comments

• mcc6918

Jun 10th 2009, 11:22

Well I was looking forward to this and am a little dissapointed by the crudeness of the outfit worn by Rourke, but I am sure that the final draft will become enhanced somewhat. Loving the prison issue trousers.

• sirius23

Jun 10th 2009, 11:39

so he's got two electric whips against ironmans blasters???? if i were ironman i'd just hover out of range of the whips and blast the old man away. But still looks kinda cool. I think he'll get his a*s kicked then he'll be back with a better suit, its bound to be a good film anyhow.

• mattburgess

Jun 10th 2009, 17:03

What the hell?? Does Iron Man refuse to fight anyone who isn't dressed in a variation of his own suit?

• bigtom302

Jun 10th 2009, 17:39

Finally a pic of Mickey Rourke! when i first heard that he was going to be in the film i was really excited! Downey Jr and Rourke will make a great movie even better! The suit looks cool and the role really suits Rourke. Cant wait....

• joker16

Jun 10th 2009, 18:11

f**k everyone. Iron Man sucked! To bad Mickey sold out. He was good in the Wrestler.

• fuzzcaminski

Jun 10th 2009, 20:23

Joker16 seems to have a lot of aggression pent up inside him. What's the chance he thought Dark Knight was the 'best film eva!!! OMG LOLZ 8-P' ha ha

• VigilantEagle

Jun 10th 2009, 20:44

Electric whips? Well at least he'll be able to whip iron man into shape. Naught boy! 'Whatsshhhhhhhhh!'

• VigilantEagle

Jun 10th 2009, 20:45

*Naughty

• ashley.russell

Jun 10th 2009, 22:50

Mickey Rourke sold out? haha I guess that means Heath Ledger sold out as well seeing as he was also the bad guy in an action movie.

• NickyC

Jun 12th 2009, 22:16

Personally, I hope he DOESN'T upgrade. What if he's just so smart that Stark can't handle him as he is in THIS picture? That's a compelling character right there. I don't like sequels, but this movie is the one I'm waiting for after Public Enemies, only because of the cast. Sam Rockwell is one of my favourite actors and RDJ and Rourke in the same movie is pushing my buttons. If they can just get Meryl Streep, Sally Field, Halle Berry and Daniel Day Lewis in the 3rd one I'll be made up.