Ghostbusters 3 for 2011

Harold Ramis gives us something concrete...

Even if it is just a date and a brief plot sketch, Harold Ramis has finally confirmed that Ghostbusters 3 will be firing up next year in time for a 2011 release.

Talking with Heeb Magazine, the big fella had this to say:

“Dan [Aykroyd] did write a spec GB3 screenplay a few years ago, but no one was motivated to pursue it. Now, 25 years after the original, there seems to be some willingness to proceed and apparently a substantial public appetite for a sequel.

We'll introduce some new young Ghostbusters, and all the old guys will be in it, too. Think Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future...GB3 is progressing with plans to shoot next summer and release in 2011."

So will those "old guys" include the famously wary Billy Murray? Ramis seems confident. And we know Sigourney Weaver’s getting a script in the next few weeks, so we can count her in.

But who will play these new young ‘Busters?

Geekboy of the moment Michael Cera has already admitted it would be his “dream job” to suit up and kick slimy butt, but he has yet to be approached with anything solid. What about Justin Long? He's a pretty dependable geekboy, too.

Or would you prefer a young cast of unkowns? Give us your ‘Busters suggestions below.

And here’s a clip for nostalgia’s sake.

Happy 2010!

Comments

• minorityreport

Dec 31st 2009, 10:20

Ghostbusters was the first film I ever saw in the cinema, or the first one I remember. I was six. It scared the hell out of me.

• agentblackacid

Dec 31st 2009, 11:32

Ghostbusters, in my opinion, is still one of the greatest films of all time for the originality of the concept, the humour, the script, the casting of even minor parts, the effects... everything was perfect. There are not many films I watch repeatedly but this still holds up 25 years later. The sequel however (in my view) was just a poor rehash of the original, which lacked the same spark, freshness and creativity. I hope that after such a long gap this long rumoured new Ghostbuster's movie has at least some of the same zest as the original. I have never been a fan of the idea of a 3rd movie but I'll cross my fingers anyway.

• pesh120

Dec 31st 2009, 16:51

I scared it would turn into a Blue Bros. 2000 nightmare.

Jan 1st 2010, 0:37

I wish the guys would drop the idea of introducing new Ghostbusters, because I would honestly just be happy to see the old gang back except older and grumpier.

• rossoblu

Jan 2nd 2010, 20:01

I'm not sure about this,did they not learn from the 4th outing for Indy.

• blackrainpr

Jan 2nd 2010, 20:06

it would be cool if they do the 3 installment it would revive the franchise and i will love to see justin long or michael cera, but i just hope they don't ruin the essential of the film :D

• iLovemovies

Jan 2nd 2010, 21:52

i can see Jonah Hill and Justin Long in the third movie , but michael cera XD he could the be one for it !

• kondomuser

Jan 2nd 2010, 22:52

You know that gay from Zombiland aint bad Jonah Hill Justin Long Michael Cera and the old guys can make chemistry i dont care if the script sucks

• crocka73

Jan 2nd 2010, 23:01

• annunziato

Jan 3rd 2010, 19:31

I'd only be interested in a 3rd film if it was the original cast and not about a bunch of new ones. the sequel was quite poor so i also hope that they really make up for that one.

• agentblackacid

Jan 4th 2010, 15:08

"one thing i would like to know is will one of the new guys be oscar from gb2 and maybe a female g-buster to kick but" What do you want to see? The Ghostbusters, Power Rangers or S Club Juniors?