Green Goblin to appear in next Spider-Man movie?

Has a Sundance director revealed the villain with a slip of the tongue?

Dane DeHaan is currently wowing the crowds at Sundance with his turn in indie drama Kill Your Darlings, but will soon be packing out multiplexes when he appears in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

DeHaan is set to play Harry Osborn, the role played by James Franco in Sam Raimi's Spidey trilogy, who famously becomes the Green Goblin when his father is killed at the hands of the webslinger.

It had been thought that said transformation wouldn't take place in the next movie, particularly since Jamie Foxx has top villain billing as Electro, but DeHaan's Darlings director John Krokidas set tongues wagging when he introduced his star as "the Green Goblin" live on stage.

Now this could of course just be Krokidas getting ahead of himself, or simply winding up his young star, but that hasn't stopped fanboy excitement cranking up a gear at the prospect of the Goblin making an appearance.

Norman Osborn was mentioned on several occasions throughout the first film, and it would seem likely that Marc Webb will be keen to introduce the character at some point, although whether he will appear in all his glory in the next movie remains to be seen. It seems certain that the younger Osborn's arc will at least be set in motion....

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in the UK on 18 April 2014.

Would you like to see the Goblin make an appearance? Tell us, below!

Comments

• FBJRider

Jan 21st 2013, 17:25

I can imagine they'll introduce Norman in the second one and have him become Green Goblin in the third one where he proceeds to kill Gwen. If they introduce Green Goblin in the second film it'll probably ruin Electro.

• SiParmaham

Jan 21st 2013, 17:50

The double villain billing didn't do The Dark Knight any harm with the Joker and Two-Face. Obviously one has considerably more screen presence then the other, but the next one will probably be Electro's main event.

Jan 21st 2013, 21:04

Dehaan was pretty good in Lawless too.

• kassjawaid

Jan 21st 2013, 21:33

Maybe they should wait till Amazing Spider-Man 3... let the film build up to the truth of Peter's parents and/ or the Green Goblin. Save the best villain 'till last. It's interesting to see Electro as the villain... just have to wait and see...

• rachelsmith77

Jan 22nd 2013, 0:58

With a character like the Green Goblin, I think that it’s necessary to get the origin story right. Norman Osborne was mentioned in the Amazing Spider-Man for a reason, and a coworker at DISH and I agree that he will likely appear as the main villain in the third film. I am still interested to see the role that Harry plays in this movie, and I am glad that during the wait I can watch everything Spider-Man using Blockbuster @Home from DISH. With my busy schedule, I love how easy it is to add movies to my cue and get them delivered quickly in the mail. But I also love that when I forget to send back a movie, I have the option to exchange it in a Blockbuster store. Watching the movies again, I am even less convinced that Harry will be the first Green Goblin. The decision to make him so, would alienate too many fans, and I doubt that is something Marc Webb wants.

• Monkeynuts30

Jan 22nd 2013, 7:26

@SiParmaham Dark Knight was one of a few exceptions really; usually a double villain billing either hurts the story or makes a film feel cramped; the director shoehorning too much in. Dark Knight Rises is a perfect example, the inclusion of Talia al'Ghul was completely unnecessary. I understand she was included to bring Nolan's story arc full circle but she brought nothing of importance to the film, instead detracting from Bane's story and making him look like nothing more than a Bond villian's henchman. I enjoy double-billing villains when it works but why is it that so many story-tellers feel the only way to make a sequel "bigger and better" so to speak, is to add another character? How about going deeper into the relationship between the hero and the villain?

• apo1978

Jan 22nd 2013, 13:52

I'm not liking this new franchise. Not. One. Bit.

• adamwhelan

Jan 26th 2013, 17:20

i think the ultimate marvel green goblin should be in it

• TheDigitalZombi

Jan 28th 2013, 12:44

I'm fed up with Goblin. I know he's important to the mythos, but he's been done and will suffer from Lex Luthor syndrome, whereby he's just stagnant. I would much prefer a proper Venom story. Introduce the black suit in number 2 and have it revealed as the symbiote in number 3. Thus capping your trilogy perfectly. Scorpion, Vulture or Mysterio would all make much better villains too.