Green Lantern 2 could still be a possibility

Despite lacklustre reviews and box office

green lantern

Green Lantern may have suffered from less-than-positive reviews, but Warner Bros is still confident that it can turn the film into a franchise.

The studio hired Michael Goldenberg to write a sequel script way back in August 2010, and it seems it is keen to continue on with its plans for a Lantern 2.

That comes as a surprise considering Lantern failed to set the box office alight. It opened with a fairly miserable $53m, and has so far only made $89m domestically (something the studio admits is "slightly disappointing").

Still, worldwide ticket sales have now hit $118m, so WB has almost made back the film’s mammoth $200m budget.

If the film proves to have box office staying power (so far it just about has), more money could mean the studio officially gives Lantern 2 the green light pretty soon.

Considering both of the studio’s biggest attractions – Harry Potter and Batman – are both coming to an end, it’s understandable that they’re looking for the next big thing.

Sadly, it’s not clear yet if Lantern’s up to such pressure.

Want more Lantern action? Or think the first was bad enough? Talk to us below...

Comments

• patches89

Jun 27th 2011, 12:10

the film was awesome so i hope there is a sequel

• FBSMiah

Jun 27th 2011, 12:23

Excellent movie. I gather most people who have gone to see it have no idea of the universe Lantern sits in. I'm not a comic fan but before I saw the movie I did my research.

• FBEKirk

Jun 27th 2011, 12:55

I thought this was the best comic book film in ages.....It didn't waste too much time to get to the action, and it wasn't blue and orange like every other film that's came out in the last 10 years....Stayed pretty close to the source, and the special effects and 3D were used to good effect! Liked it better than the latest X-men, anyhoo....although that was okay and definitely better than the 3rd one! There...rant over... :)

• Arnprior

Jun 27th 2011, 13:43

$118M worldwide box-office take (domestic included) means 82 million short of the production budget. Then there's the additional marketing costs which are rumored to be among the highest ever for Warner (over $100M). So no, Warner is not close to break even on this, let alone make a profit. Best guess is they'll wait to see how the Superman reboot will do before deciding where to go with Lantern, i.e. sequel vs reboot.

Jun 27th 2011, 18:03

2 of the last 4 posters have suspiciously similar names.. Anyway, it will either go the way of The HUlk and get rebooted or Daredevil and swept under the carpet. For the record, its pants. I feel sorry for Martin Campbell, the guys an ace director, rebooted Bond TWICE and Zorro, guess every director has a clanger in thier C.V (BTW I liked Edge of Darkness, he did the original series so at least knew what he was doing).

Jun 27th 2011, 21:44

Well Fantastic Four got a sequel.....

• MeanMachine

Oct 24th 2011, 2:02

Green Lantern was absolutely awesome! Ryan Reynolds not only delivered but made this movie great. I loved it and hope to see the sequel very soon. 10/10 from me. Best Super Hero movie of 2011 in my opinion.