Guillermo Del Toro exits The Hobbit

Director takes back seat on movie adaps…

Director Guillermo Del Toro has been forced to depart movie production of The Hobbit.

In surely the saddest news to come out of the MGM financial fiasco, the director will no longer be directing the big screen adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel.

As MGM still flounders with its money woes, production on The Hobbit has been stalled indefinitely until the studio can fix its situation. As a consequence, Del Toro has officially stepped away from the films in order to concentrate on his own projects.

The director announced his departure through Lord Of The Rings site The One Ring, citing “mounting pressures of conflicting schedules” as the problem. And who can blame him? By all accounts the Hobbit script(s) are written, the design work is complete and everything is ready to go.

But with MGM in crisis, Del Toro’s hands are tied. Here’s what he had to say:

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming The Hobbit, I am faced with the hardest decision of my life.

“After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand.”

So that’s the end of that. Or is it? If The Hobbit’s production is delayed for a further couple of years, could Del Toro direct another movie and have that completed in time to return to Middle Earth? It’s a stretch, but we’re ever hopeful…

Source: [The One Ring]

Think this news just royally sucks?

Total Film on Facebook

Comments

• HamsterOfWar

May 31st 2010, 10:10

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Woe is me. This is terrible news. Hopefully then if he can't do it in the future then Peter Jackson will step up and direct instead.

• Lingdada

May 31st 2010, 10:45

I feel we've now chronically overdosed on movie faeries,goblins,hobbits,superpowers,fake magicians,battle scenes,nurds,dorks,rom-coms,vampires and serial killers! New scripts please!!

• thejonner

May 31st 2010, 10:59

a**e.

• thejonner

May 31st 2010, 10:59

a**e.

• Rusco87

May 31st 2010, 11:46

This is great news! If this film had been made he would have had hobbits with eyes in the palms of their hands and surley dragon-like creatures with eyes on their wings. ONE TRICK PONY! Just let peter jackson do it when hes ready to do it, dont rush anything.

• BiDDY

May 31st 2010, 12:23

Rusco87, I love how you say don't rush it, when it clearly state in the article above that it's ready to go! These films have been delayed, and delayed, and delayed again. I wish MGM would pull their thumbs from up their butts and realise that making film or selling them on to their rival companies is the only way to get them out of debt. I agree Peter Jackson would be goof to direct them, but I'm sure he was over the moon whe Del Toro was put in the directors chair.

• KerrAvon

May 31st 2010, 17:36

Maybe now he can get started on HP Lovecraft's at the Mountains of Madness

• ciren1

Jun 1st 2010, 14:11

surely pete has gotta step up, i reckon its still his baby

Jun 1st 2010, 14:19