Guillermo del Toro planning Hellboy 3

Inspired by Ron Perlman's Make A Wish visit

Guillermo Del Toro has revealed that he's interested in making a third film in the Hellboy franchise, after being inspired by Ron Perlman's recent in-character visit to the Make A Wish Foundation.

Perlman recently attended a function held by the charity for two young Hellboy fans, donning the full costume in order to make their dreams of meeting the comic-book character come true. Guillermo del Toro was reportedly moved by the love for the character that still exists among the younger fanbase, and is now keen to get a third film up and running.

"I can say publicly that now we are together in trying [to do Hellboy 3]" said Del Toro to Entertainment Weekly. "We’re going to make an effort to do it. I hope it happens."

Unsurprisingly, Perlman is already keen to reprise his role as Big Red. "The [first] two movies were really set up to have this unbelievable resolve,” Perlman told EW. “Everything that was done in both movies was leading up to this destiny, written in stone, of what Hellboy has been summoned to Earth to do."

"To not do it, particularly in light of the scope that Guillermo is thinking of for the resolve, would be in my mind a little bit of a shame." Whether the studio will see it in quite such emotive terms is doubtful, but it does at least sound like the enthusiasm is there from the creative team. Watch this space...

Would you go and see a third Hellboy film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Sandrine

Jul 16th 2012, 7:23

Hmm, what's that phrase again... Oh yeah - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Jul 16th 2012, 9:28

Schwarzenneger as Hellboys dad? Just throwing things out there. In the bin. Probably.

• bencobra

Jul 16th 2012, 9:41

What an absolute legend Ron Perlman is.

• matthewflohr

Jul 16th 2012, 9:55

SWEET. Loved the first 2 films. Can't wait to see the finale!!!

• chawk1993

Jul 16th 2012, 11:18

Is this even a trick question? OF COURSE I would love a third film! They left the second one open ended. I wanna see what kind of dad Big Red is to the twins and i wanna hear them screaming 'Uncle Abe' and just for good measure 'Uncle Johann' and to annoy Manning 'Granpa Manning'. I am in love with the first two. The second one is my fave! I hope del Toro fulfils and keeps his promise. I would love to see Andy Serkis cast in the movie as a creature or something!

• 2Dglasses

Jul 16th 2012, 11:35

Why not? i'd rather see this than ghostbusters 3

Jul 16th 2012, 16:24

Love The Hellboy series and I am annoyed GDT has taken this long to come to his senses for the final outing.

• moviemichael

Jul 17th 2012, 1:35

Yes! I've been wondering when they were going to touch more detail about his destiny! It's mentioned in both movies. Great movies!

• georgeWW

Jul 17th 2012, 23:04

this needs to happen they are both such legends

• katiemarie

Jul 18th 2012, 17:27

"To not do it, particularly in light of the scope that Guillermo is thinking of for the resolve, would be in my mind a little bit of a shame." Not finishing it off with the third movie would be a shame! I've always been a HellBoy fan since I saw the first one.. it wasn't until I picked the second movie up at Walmart a few days ago that I realized how amazing the movies actually are.. I think the thing I love most about the movies are the amazing puppetry.. I'm happy to see they don't use a ton of CGI, because it usually ruins the movie unless you know how to use it. I would be rejoicing for a third film!