Guillermo del Toro talks Justice League Dark

Confirms Constantine is the leading man

Guillermo del Toro has given a brief update on the status of his super-team project, affectionately known as Justice League Dark, featuring some of DC’s most weird and wonderful characters.

“The route we’re going is Constantine is our lead,” says del Toro. “Constantine is the guy who leads us in and out of the plot. We have Swamp Thing, Etrigan, we have Zatanna, we have the Floronic Man. We have stuff that those who love the darker side of the DC Universe are going to appreciate, and we’re trying to be true to the origins of the characters.”

“I’m literally playing with two of my oldest and most favorite characters in my life - Swamp Thing and Etrigan,” gushes del Toro. “These were the guys I was drawing with crayons when I was a kid.”

“I cannot tell you how happy I am, but I am finishing my bible, and then I deliver that bible, which is about 45 pages, to Warner, and we have a screenwriter that we like and that we talk to, but he is writing his own movie right now and is thinking about it. But I am going to try to wait for him.”

However, when asked who said screenwriter might be, del Toro finally clams up…

“I won’t say who it is,” he says coyly. “I’m not allowed. But we’re waiting, and when the right time comes, hopefully that writer will take over, and then we’ll see if it’s directed by me or someone else and I’ll just produce. I don’t know.”

Who would you like to see penning this one? Tell us, below!

Comments

• marvelboy

Apr 2nd 2013, 8:49

I sorted of hope Keanu Reeves returns - as much stick as he sometimes get I enjoyed Constantine movie and it a shame to see this 'forgotten'

• davemordey

Apr 2nd 2013, 8:56

What a strange thing to say. I bet you pronounce it Constan-teen aswell.

• dangoodfellow

Apr 2nd 2013, 9:13

why haven't they offered Del Toro the Justice League movie?, Haven't they seen Hellboy 2?

• Nashnash

Apr 2nd 2013, 9:44

I also didn't hate "Constantine", but I don't know anything about the comics etc. And maybe I need to watch Hellboy 2 again, but when I saw it I turned it off half way through because it was s**t and it seemed a complete waste of time to even bother seeing the end.

• davemordey

Apr 2nd 2013, 10:37

Constantine wasn't a bad film per se. But it's a film in its own right. It's not true Constantine/Hellblazer. John Constantine should look more like Sting, (the musician, not the wrestler), and he's English, not Californian. In my humble opinion, if they're going to do it, they need to reboot it properly and respect the source material. I don't know why, but film studios seem to have an irrational fear of losing their entire U.S. demographic if the hero is anything other than an American born on the 4th of July!

• ilikescifi

Apr 2nd 2013, 12:12

i kinda liked constantine too, and I didn't get into Hellboy 2 either. Maybe i'm missing something, I couldn't understand why so many people think the Hellboy films are so great. I can dig Keanu too, Constan-teen is a pretty grim, negative, sour faced, unapologetic character; that sort of character is very hard to put to screen - needs a star to keep him watchable

• SiMan

Apr 2nd 2013, 13:18

I also enjoyed Contantine (and Hellboy 2). I haven't read the books, so i can't really comment with any authority, but i hope they stick with Reeves in the role. It would even give the studio a little bit of a head-start if there is an existing property they can refer to and thus save a bit of exposition with regards to that character's background, although it was a long time ago now it came out so audiences may need a refresher. Gonna keep an eye on the developments for this film. Could be interesting.

Apr 2nd 2013, 14:33

Why isn't this on the front page, instead of the boring red band trailer?

Apr 2nd 2013, 17:49

Guillermo already has his Constantine in Pacific Rim...Charlie Hunnam.