Harrison Ford open to Star Wars return

Had previously pushed for Han to be killed off

Harrison Ford is apparently keen on a return for Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode VII, according to sources close to the newly announced Disney sequel.

“Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he’s upbeat about it,” said the source. “All three of them are!” That would be Ford, Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher, in case you were wondering.

It’s a surprising piece of news (even if it is only rumour at this stage), particularly given Ford’s comments concerning his time on the original trilogy.

“I don’t know that I understood it very well,” he said. “I’m not sure I understand it yet… I was very happy to be involved. I was pleased to be a part of an ensemble.”

He had even pushed for Han Solo to be killed off, only for Lucas to dissuade him, thanks in no small part to the popularity of his action figure. “I thought he should have died in the last one to give it some bottom,” says Ford. “George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”

Still, with Disney likely to throw pots and pots of money at this one, we may yet see Han Solo draw his blaster at least once more. Star Wars: Episode VII is expected to arrive in 2015.

Would you like to see the original three stars return? Tell us, below!

Comments

• CaptainCrazy

Nov 6th 2012, 9:16

Too early to waste energy on Star Wars rumours unless confirmed by the studio. In any case the only character I want to return is that laughing alien (the one with Lando when they blew up the Death Star). I forget his name so any help here would be cool internet nerds.

• BoneyN

Nov 6th 2012, 9:55

I like your thinking. It is purely coincidental that I know the laughing dude you mean is called Nien Numb. I still have the action figure.... :-)

Nov 6th 2012, 10:00

Chewbacca / Brian : "Why are you wearing Han's clothes? Seriously, watch the actual movie. Lando is wearing Han's clothes in this scene. It's really weird."

• Gindalf0492

Nov 6th 2012, 10:01

For me I think the majority of the orginal cast should be given smaller roles and then a new cast have the leads, thats just me. BTW if Harrison Ford goes back to play Han does that mean Peter Mayhew will be back as well?

• dangoodfellow

Nov 6th 2012, 10:13

Okay, three theories on why landos wearing hans clothes 1. lando left Bespin in a hurry , and in the chaos forgot to pack. That blue nylon tunic he had on was starting to stink and poor chewies nose couldn't take it anymore. Also explains why everyone else says goodbye from another spaceship. 2.Whenhan won the falcon from Lando, he got everything, including the shirt off his back, so Lando was just reclaiming them. 3. when no one's looking, lando has been running around the falcon pretending to be Han. Wouldn't you?

• CaptainCrazy

Nov 6th 2012, 12:21

ABoneyN - thanks, it's been driving me nuts since I wrote that (too lazy to Google). As for Lando, I think its all part of the sick, perverted sex games with Princess Leia. Hey, who can resist Billy Damn Williams? He's as cool as the other side of the pillow!

• TheShamrock

Nov 6th 2012, 13:01

"It's a trap!" surely Ford won't be involved, his return as indy wasn't exactly triumphant and so shouldn't risk diminishing another legendary character's status. Neon Numb is also one of the worst cards in Stars Wars top trumps - fact.

• SiMan

Nov 6th 2012, 14:15

I reckon Disney will try their utmost to get all three of them, even if only in a small cameo capacity, as much as they can. Surely it would make it seem more of an 'official' episode 7 rather and a continuation of the saga.

Nov 6th 2012, 16:39

No no no no no NOOOOOOO ! We do not need to see an old Han Solo. A mature Luke Skywalker Jedi Master makes sense and would work.

• mattburgess

Nov 6th 2012, 20:31

Sounds like an opportunity to finally grant Ford's wish, and kill off Han Solo! That could be epic. But would Disney ever dare kill off a main protagonist? I am concerned that Disney will never let these 'hard hitting' things happen in their films :-(

• FBJRider

Nov 7th 2012, 0:29

Can we have Solo shoot first in this one?

• ilikescifi

Nov 7th 2012, 2:22

I think a lot of rumours are getting started. Remember all the junk we read prior to Episode 1?