Harrison Ford talks Star Wars: Episode VII

“I think it’s happening”

Ever since J.J. Abrams was appointed director of Star Wars: Episode VII, much of the talk surrounding the project has been concerning the return of the original trilogy’s trio of stars.

Harrison Ford was the first reported to have re-signed, and the ageing action star has now come out and confirmed that his presence is almost a done deal.

“I think it’s almost true,” said Ford of his involvement. “I’m looking forward to it. It’s not in the bag yet, but I think it’s happening.” (From WGN, via Collider)

Meanwhile, both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have also talked about a possible return, with George Lucas recently suggesting that all three deals have been done.

We won’t know for sure until there’s an official statement from Disney, but for the time being, it looks like Han, Luke and Leia will be returning to a galaxy far, far away very soon.

Star Wars: Episode VII opens in the UK in 2015.

What do you think of Ford's return? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Dragons8mycat

Mar 20th 2013, 9:23

Remembering the press from the original Return of the Jedi days, there was always an understanding that the following film(s) would involve the progression of Luke and Leia as Luke set up a Jedi school and Leia produced the new generation of Jedi with Han. It would be great if this happened as the reason the original films worked so well, was due to the dynamic and great acting which Harrison, Carrie and Hamill provided.

• garyu2

Mar 20th 2013, 9:52

To quote from the movies.... I've got a bad feeling about this. Han Solo was an incredible character from the originals but he is not required anymore. I mean, really, do people actually want to see a 75 year old Han Solo shooting blaster guns? It was bad enough with the recent Indiana Jones movie (thanks to his obvious age and the strange necessity to make constant cruel jokes about his age - die Shia die!!). Instead of trudging out the same old warhorses, they should actually remake Episodes 1, 2 & 3 but do it RIGHT this time!

• SiMan

Mar 20th 2013, 14:11

Didn't Ford always say he didn't like what they did with the character and wanted them to kill him off in Jedi? I wonder how big a part the original cast will have to play in the new films. I'd personally keep R2 and 3PO as central characters - then its almost like the entiore saga is from their point of view (also agree with garyu2 above that they should remake episodes 1,2 & 3 properly first)

• moviemind91

Mar 20th 2013, 15:29

It's great to see that the original cast are returning but I do hope that their characters won't be the centre of the story as they had their turn in the original trilogy, just like Obi-Wan had his turn in the prequels. I'm a big fan of Abrams' so I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

Mar 20th 2013, 15:41

It's horrible to see that the original cast are returning.

• loveroflostgirl

Mar 20th 2013, 18:02

I love the original Star Wars movies and the main three actors will always have a special place in my heart but to be brutally honest Carrie Fisher hasn't made a good film in 10 years (Wonderland), Harrison Ford hasn't made a good film in 13 years (What lies beneath) and Mark Hamill hasn't made a good film in 30 years (ROTJ)! It's time for Mr Abrams to make a bold choice, either recast these three roles with younger actors (Nathan Fillion & Maggie Gyllenhaal as Han & Leia please!) or move on from them completely! I know a lot of people want that link back to the originals but trust me, any nostalgic good will gained by bringing back Ford, Fisher & Hamill will go out the window when fail to live upto hopes and dreams of a million fan boys (myself included)! Don't bring them back J.J, the odds are just too high that it'll bite you in the a*s!

• parochial1

Mar 20th 2013, 22:01

Harrison Ford offers promise, but not convinced by the other two. Has a bit of a feeling of The Expendables as a vehicle for past-it heroes. Though, in the hands of JJ, you have to hope the Force is strong with this one!