Have Thor 2's villains been revealed?

Stuntman reveals identity of new foes

Thor: The Dark World has had a few issues with its villains of late. First there was the disappointing news that Mads Mikkelsen has dropped out of the role of secondary antagonist, and now a stuntman appears to have let the cat out of the bag regarding Thor's newest foes.

A stuntman is quoted on movie site IReviewToo concerning his experiences on the Thor sequel, revealing that, "the director came in and he said, 'Look, we want you all to be elves… I want you to walk around like these supernatural animals.'"

So elves are going to be involved, are they? That would suggest Thor will be heading off to the realm of Svartalfheim, where Malekith the Accursed presides over a race of Dark Elves. Perhaps that was who Mikkelsen had been in line to play?

We know that Tom Hiddleston will likely return as Loki, but it's sounding as though the Dark Elves may represent a similar threat to the one posed by the Frost Giants in the first film. Either that, or the stunt guy is full of it. One or the other.

Directed by Alan Taylor, Thor: The Dark World opens in the UK on 8 November 2013. Sounds as though Orlando Bloom's career might soon be on the up again...

Which villains would you like to see in the sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• mattburgess

Jul 20th 2012, 6:45

I REALLY think they should keep these films grounded in reality, and on earth, or they will lose a massive proportion of their audience. The directors have done AMAZING jobs in making all their films just about within the realms of believability (keeping in mind that they ARE superhero films). But if it all starts to become Space n' Aliens, I think an incredible number of people will just switch off. Just my humble opinion, but I think phase two should introduce Civil War, and keep the action on Earth.

• alexr

Jul 20th 2012, 8:26

@mattburgess I completely agree with you, sir. A build up to Civil War would be awesome. Now if only Marvel and Sony could strike a deal regarding Andrew Garfield's Spider-man...

• Heisenberg

Jul 20th 2012, 8:33

@matt i think they will be fine with this. With Thor and the others marvel movies based on Earth it will be nice to see the Thor mythology, and Thor is essentially a Space Alien remember, use that to their advantage. No-one complained to much when they were walking about Asgard in the first, no-one will switch off now that they are already invested in the character(s). But yes, 100% agree that the Civil War arc has to come on earth without a doubt, but i feel maybe they will save that for Avengers 3, as Thanos and whatever croonies he rounds up will be the main baddies for 2.

• mattburgess

Jul 20th 2012, 9:14

Civil War in Avengers 3 would be nice, but being the epic story that it is, my preference would be to see it span some of the singular movies as well, and maybe culminate, grandiosly, in Avengers 3. On a seperate note (I could wax lyrical about how *I* want Marvel films to be all day), I didn't particularly rate The Amazing Spiderman. I thought the script was very heavy handed and completely lacking in subtlety, the villain didn't have any genuine motivation to be doing what he did, and my overall impression was that it was very much aimed at an 8 - 18 audience. Although, to be fair, I don't think I felt this way about it for the first half of the film. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Did anybody else think that the mysterious character in the final scene was Mysterio? Or do we know who it was?

• Heisenberg

Jul 20th 2012, 9:46

@matt, yeah even laying some seeds for the Civil War arc during Avengers 2, and then the other movies all interconnected and leading up to A3 would be epic. I quite enjoyed Amazing Spiderman, mostly down to the portrayal of Parker. Toby Maguires was just way to whiny and emo-y and almost to much of a pariah for my liking and not the spiderman I knew, whereas Garfield added the cocky amazingly-smart-but-can-still-somewhat-socialise-with-the-popular-kids I wanted. I think the main guess is at Mysterio, many also thought Osborn but Rhys Ifans shot that down, but says the person "is in the employ of Osborn without question" and with Mysterio being a master of illusion n whatnot, the fact he could get into and out of the cell without notice 'could' be a good factor for this.

• CaptainCrazy

Jul 20th 2012, 9:58

Avengers has proven that (mass) audiences like the fantastical, but my personal taste differs. I don't think Marvel must jump the shark and go over the top. It could become really embarrasing if done wrong and all it takes is one wrong move for them to tumble.

• Monkeynuts30

Jul 20th 2012, 10:41

I agree with @Heisenberg. Iron Man and Captain America, plus any potential Hulk or SHIELD movies are plenty to anchor the series to earth. To properly explore Thor as a character you need him fighting his villains. Would be nice to see the Enchantress though...

• SiMan

Jul 20th 2012, 12:37

@CaptainCrazy - good point about the fact that as they are all intertwined, if just one of them is an absolute disaster then the whole Marvel film universe could take a tumble too. Okay, Iron Man 2 was poor, but it wasn't exactly a flop of epic proportions. If one of them does fail it surely will have an affect on the rest. That's why i'm a little concerned with Guardians of the Galaxy being mentioned as a precursor to the Avengers 2. Big bad alien baddies are fine in the first movie, but I hope that doesn't become the standard for all the Avengers films (I hope they don't use the Skrulls). Give us a decent Dr Doom, or Ultron please. With regards to Thor though, isn't Natalie Portman supposed to be returning too, so the likelihood is that there will be elements based on Earth. As @Heisenberg stated above, Thor is an Alien anyway, so I personally think the conflict this time should be something that threatens the safety of Asgard, not Earth. And I hope the Civil War storyline is used at some point for the Avengers - best 'event' storyline i've read over last few years, although i think it would work better as a full season of a tv show to be honest, rather than a single movie. One slight issue is that in the comics, the Civil War story arc isn't fully resolved until the Siege story, so they'd have to shorten a lot of it to fit into a film (unless they lead onto the Dark Reign and then Siege story arcs in a 4th Avengers film........I'm getting too geeked out discussing this. I'll stop now!)

• FBJRider

Jul 20th 2012, 12:55

Wasn't the inclusion of Dark Elves obvious from the moment they stuck Dark World on the end? @Matt, I'm pretty sure there's two types of people who watch these films. Fans of comic books who don't care about it being reality and people who want to watch the big explosions and fight scenes. As long as there's big fights then no one will mind where it is. I mean Guardians of the Galaxy, how are they meant to ground that in reality?

Jul 20th 2012, 16:04

I disagree with the first post, Thor's best scenes all featured in Asgard and the Frost land.

• nigellockett

Jul 20th 2012, 17:45

the dark world could refer to the Dark Gods which was an incredible series of comics which was turned into a graphic novel. This would be an epic tale of Asgard being attacked etc no spoilers but you can look up the Dark Gods.

• Indianabones

Jul 20th 2012, 21:56

Unfortunately Batman has a lot to blame for this! not everything needs to be grounded in reality! it works with Batman as he has no superpowers in the comics! you can put a lot of his Villians in this world! (some you can't) a lot of hero movies are very unreal and should not be compared to Batman! Spiderman couldn't be grounded into the real world! he makes webbing that is stronger than steel but bio-degrades! over half the villians have some mystical power! Thor cannot be grounded in reality! it would be ridiculous! it just has to be well written and fun! We need to let our imaginations run a little wild!

• hendrixisgod777

Jul 21st 2012, 17:21

Personally, I've always thought Thor had the potential to be the best adventure film ever made or the worst - a mix of Superman, Lord of the Rings and Clash of the Titans. I don't won't want to see him on earth doing crossword puzzles, he should be out there using mjolnir to hop between realms whilst kicking a*s and taking names. If they can also throw in a drinking scene with him and Hercules comparing war stories that would great. On perhaps a slightly more serious note, my partner is Danish and our son's name is Thorben, which you may have guessed is an old fashioned Danish name derived from Thor. Even though I'm an agnostic, despite what Captain America says, I do consider Thor to be a pagan god as opposed to a space alien - perhaps not the god, but aren't most modern day religions derived from old pagan rituals from the past?