Henry Cavill talks Justice League

Speculates on the future of the DC universe

With Man Of Steel set to swoop into cinemas later this month, speculation is already beginning to build as to the future of the character, and how he might fit in to a potential Justice League movie.

Henry Cavill has been speaking about the possibility of a DC super-team-up, and speculates as to how such a movie might eventually come about.

“Well, if any of these things were to happen,” says Cavill, “which I don’t know if they are, I don’t know if they’ve even been spoken about – I think, ultimately, a Justice League movie could be fun, but to get to that stage, you have to do other movies in between.

“You can’t just suddenly have a world full of gods when one god has just arrived. So, how do you get to that stage? I think a ‘Batman / Superman’ movie would be great because it brings that world together.”

“Whether they’re going to let that happen, I don’t know. But a sequel to continue [Man of Steel] would certainly be amazing… and maybe start introducing some other things. Which of those comes next? I don’t know.”

Man Of Steel
opens in the UK on June 14th.

Are you hoping to see a Justice League movie come to fruition? Tell us, below!

Comments

• spid2411

Jun 5th 2013, 10:22

Really wish you would stop going on about a Justice League movie - its...a..s**tE...idea!. The Marvel stuff is basically mind numbing c**p not to be taken at all seriously. I saw Iron Man 3 and its the kind of film really designed for people with no imagination as it goes by your eyes and never needs to be seen again. The Warner bros approach these days is a totally different thing for a different audience - I own the Nolan Batman trilogy and will watch them many times (like the Lord of the Rings movies) because those films were primarily concerned with character and quality , not just mind numbing eye candy and box office revenue. Hopefully Man of Steel will be the same and then they could make a trilogy of Superman films. And incidentally, these guys have shown if you take a more serious approach you still make a lot of money at the box office which means there are plenty of people who want to see these films done this way.

• FBAPedersen

Jun 5th 2013, 11:38

I don't think a JL movie will happen, basically because the characters ain't interesting enough. Apart from Batman, the DC heroes are pretty lame. Too powerful with too convoluted and dare I say improbable background stories. You can't change the fact that half of the JL are aliens from outer space, with powers way out of proportion.

• ilikescifi

Jun 5th 2013, 12:35

thanks spid2411, i agree that the justice league movie rumours are purely knee-jerk reactions to the Avengers and if a JL film comes out it will be constantly compared to Avengers. Nolan Batman met so much critical and financial success why don't they just stick with that formula - offer an antidote to the mind numbingness of the Avengers cannon. Also, if DC floods the market with tie-ins it will be bad for both of them because completely saturating the market with episodic superhero films will make everyone get bored very quickly. If they wanna make money why don't they just sell the rights to Disney like everyone else?

• spid2411

Jun 5th 2013, 13:18

You are spot on ilikescifi - the Batman movies were the perfect antidote to the mind numbing Avengers/Iron Man/Thor/Captain America stuff that Marvel churn out purely to make lots of money. There seems to be some wild hysteria surrounding the Avengers - it was simply...ok. I saw it and then almost immediately forgot about it as (like all their films) it was just bubble gum for your brain. The more sophisticated approach will not only still bring in the cash but will have something none of the Marvel stuff has and that's longevity. I heard some studio clown going on about how he sees no reason why there wont be an Iron Man 4, 5, 6 etc - its that type of banal corporate boy patter that makes the Marvel stuff so c**p - they don't hire a director with a creative vision (like Chris Nolan) and just let him get on with it. Instead they are all over the filmmaker they hire and they decide how it will be done and unfortunately their view is the best way to do it is the way that sells more tickets and toys. And that is why their stuff is so forgettable.

• SiMan

Jun 5th 2013, 13:22

Well i for one hope they can give us a justice league movie - or at least a batman/superman team up - and still keep the same tonal structure that the Nolan films did. At the end of the day the source material of these characters are ones that occupy a shared universe. I think it would be interesting to apply a character like Superman to Nolan's bat verse - how would that alter the landscape of those characters?

• chibik

Jun 5th 2013, 15:09

Also, sockpuppets...

Jun 5th 2013, 15:27

I agree with everyone and hand out biscuits.

• ilikescifi

Jun 5th 2013, 15:28

yes SiMan I would still totally go see a JL film despite being skeptical. but I have always secretly hoped for a Batman vs Superman movie - I Am Legend gave us some hope of that. I figure if Superman were in a Nolanesque world his ethics would be in question, like, does he swoop around catching robbers all day or does he fight for world peace or does he feed the poor or does he fire all the greedy CEOs of banks - oh wait that movie sounds really boring

• sonnycrockett

Jun 5th 2013, 16:14

"I don't think a JL movie will happen, basically because the characters ain't interesting enough. Apart from Batman, the DC heroes are pretty lame." I love these "Marvel-ites" who complain about DC heroes. I, for one am gettin' bored with whiny, self-centered, self-obsessed kids who have powers....and constantly complain about them. And Iron Man 3 was ok for the most part, but a panic attack?! Seriously?! Imagine Batman having a panic attack or Superman? Now, as a DC person, I really dig most Marvel movies. I loved the Avengers, Thor and Wolverine,. When Marvel does things right (which is the majority of the time), they do it right. Hopefully DC will follow their success and do it that much better (Flash, Martian Manhunter and a talented group oof writers can even make Aquaman and Shazam relevent I mean, Thor is a god and has a "magic" hammer. It'sd the writing and vision which make the character interesting). It's good for the genre' on the whole. But lame is as lame does and lame is in eyes of the beholder, whom I'm bettin' is about 15....

Jun 5th 2013, 17:06

Basically Henry says what everyone else has been saying build up to the movie like they way Marvel did with The Avengers.

• LauraLasher10

Jun 5th 2013, 20:36

Ava. I can see what your saying... Denise`s remark is inconceivable, on monday I got a great new Chrysler after I been earnin $5412 this past five weeks and-more than, 10/k last munth. without a question it is my favourite-job Ive ever had. I began this 4 months ago and pretty much straight away began to bring in over $72 per-hr. I follow this website, Bow6.com

• batt101

Jun 6th 2013, 4:08

Personally I think if you take Heath Ledger out of the Batman trilogy then the films were mediocre at best. Im looking forward to Man of Steel but simply don't think a JL film (or the ridiculous idea of a Batman/Superman film) can work. The characters are simply too diverse and not actually that interesting. However you cant blame DC for trying to cash in, they just need to take a Marvel approach and try to build the franchise over a period of time.

Jun 6th 2013, 19:24