Henry Selick to work with Neil Gaiman again

“There are several titles under discussion.”

Neil Gaiman fans rejoice: Coraline director Henry Selick has told totalfilm.com to expect more Gaiman adaptations from him in the future.

“We’re actually talking about it definitely,” he told us when we asked him what he'd like to do next. “We want to work together again, but I’d rather not say right now because there are so many - several - titles under discussion.”

American Gods? Neverwhere? Sandman? Our mouth waters...

Despite not being familiar with Gaiman’s novels before working on Coraline, the man behind Nightmare Before Christmas also said he’d found a kindred spirit in the author.

“It was a nice surprise and I felt like he was a brother you know, like my original friendship with Tim Burton.

“He felt like someone from the same planet as me, maybe different neighbourhood - he wears more black than me - but it was a nice script”.

Selick was close-lipped when we pressed for more details, but he did speak a little about what Gaiman is currently working on.

“I’m always interested in the next thing he’s going to write. At the moment, he’s on a particular project which takes him to China.

“So I can’t give out any titles but it was a great collaboration, really an artistically enhancing experience.”

It certainly sounds promising, especially as Coraline turned out so well (see review here).

So what Neil Gaiman project would you like to see Selick pick up next?

Comments

• SuperDoOoD

May 7th 2009, 15:17

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let it be Good Omens

• Benmorse

May 7th 2009, 17:51

It can't be Sandman, as I've been slated to direct that for the last ten years. In my head. I have storyboards and everything.

• MestUniverse

May 8th 2009, 0:15

Neil Gaiman is an idiot Scientologist and funds Scientology. The Gaiman family are founding US "Patrons" of Scientology for 2004 & 2006. According to ex scientologist Jon Attack, Patrons (are) the highest ranking membership - of the International Association of Scientologists. Founding Patrons (those who became Patrons by the IAS 20th Anniversary (October/November 2004) have donated US $40,000. Patrons with Honor have donated US $100,000. Go to http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/ and search for Gaiman to find The Gaiman Family USA listed as Patrons. Gaiman donates BIG money to Scientology.

• blade32

May 8th 2009, 13:11

Neil Gaiman is an awesome author, one of the UKs best, and i could see all of his movies working well with Selick. The most obvious to be in keeping with Coraline would be The Graveyard Book. Anway, Coraline was ACE! Cant wait for the next collaboration

• rorschach

May 8th 2009, 13:11

And???..i dont give a f**k if he worships a giant golden d***o and bathes in rabbit s**t, hes a damn good writer!

• rorschach

May 8th 2009, 13:12

last comment in response to mestuniverse... I really hope its either Death or Sandman..but its probably not:(

• Larose

May 18th 2009, 18:56

Neil Gaiman is a hack who has spun a minor talent into a long and tedious marketing blitz. His stories are badly plotted and the characters are about as deep as a thimble full of water. The worst aspect of Coraline and Gaiman's other efforts, such as Mirrormask and Beowulf, are their soulless, morally bankrupt quality. Gaiman's stories are best suited to disaffected youths, who lack the depth or wisdom to realize their emperor has no clothes. Gaiman's stories are tossed together with little thought. Despite all of the amazing visuals, Gaiman manages to bore the audience. His half-assed stories weight down any project, Beowulf, Mirrormask, Coraline, all awful and depressing. A film made from a Gaiman story is like a brightly wrapped package with a lump of coal inside, disappointing. Until I heard about Gaiman's Scientology involvement, I had no idea why he was so arrogant and unwilling to do what it takes to be a good writer. Now I know. Get over Gaiman, Hollywood. He is much ado about nothing.

• simlmx

Feb 11th 2010, 11:04

coraline was a great stopmotion film. i don't see any scientology in the movie, if you do let's hear it.