Hugh Jackman wants an R-rated Wolverine

Some blood on those adamantium claws?

“If there was ever a superhero movie that was going to be R-rated, it’s Wolverine,” actor Hugh Jackman tells MTV and having seen Wolvie in action in the comics we'd have to agree.

“There’s such great temptation to make an R-rated Wolverine,” he says. “I’ve always felt that. I know a lot of fans would like that. I totally get it.”

Jackman even admits he and director James Mangold have discussed shooting two versions - one that's kid-friendly and one for fans who want more blood, guts and after-hours language.

“However, in the last 10 years, I’ve also met many, many 12, 13 – dare I say 10, 14, 15 year-olds – who, for them, Wolverine is not just cool, you see it in their eyes. He’s everything to them. So my thing is - which James and I talked about - is let’s not put it off the table,” Jackman added.

“There’s even a talk of us doing two versions, as in finding a way for us to do both as you shoot it, which could be really cool. But you need to have a really good reason to exclude those fans.”

Would you buy the kid friendly version to entertain your sprogs and keep the R-rated movie locked away with your other adult goodies? Share your purchasing habits below!

Comments

• fipthetop

Oct 12th 2011, 14:58

Why not do both - with a few extra reshoots, editing and change of dialogue you'd have pretty much the same film but with extra swearing and snikty action for the grown up

• ChrisWootton

Oct 12th 2011, 15:34

It seems like they really don't know what to do with this franchise. In my opinion it hasn't even started yet and that's after the character being the focus of 4 films! I feel sorry for Jackman as he genuinely seems to want a film that will please everyone.. Why not just make it edgier and dark in places like Jaws or Raiders of the Lost Ark? They were family movies that still managed to be both exciting, violent, disturbing and funny in equal measure.

• Mings

Oct 12th 2011, 16:04

A bit pointless filming two versions surely? If the young fans Jackman alludes to are even remotely like I was in my early teens then the adult version will be the only one they want to see. The only real reason for shooting two versions might be to assuage the concerns of studio execs regarding possible profit loss as a result of an R rating, but I suspect that it is the self same execs that are doing a good job of screwing up the franchise in the first place...

• fipthetop

Oct 12th 2011, 17:13

it's all about the money unfortunately - this franchise is gradually getting worse and worse - with x-men first class going some way to halting the rot, but even that was rushed. It seem that all marvel studios care about now is iron man and the avengers et al. x-men has been pushed to the side

• FBALee

Oct 12th 2011, 17:14

Hugh Jackman and everyone involved need to stop focusing on what everyone else wants, and just figure out what THEY want to do. I don't see what's so bad in having an R rating for some extra violence. What, like there is no violence in the comics?! It doesn't have to be gratuitous, but they obviously want an edgier movie.. so they should just stop jabbering and do it already.

• causticjones

Oct 12th 2011, 17:28

Surly 'Origins' should count as the one for the teens and this one should be for those of us who spent our teens reading comics.

• TheEnigma

Oct 13th 2011, 2:45

Mings - u said it all... (clapping)..!

• Siban1982

Oct 14th 2011, 12:12

I think Wolverine needs a completely new direction and this could be it. Jackman as Wolverine puts me off though. He needs to be shorter and stockier with a sense of speed and the film needs a massive body count and blood to boot. I want to see some full blown rage come form the character like in X-Men 2 but it needs to last much longer than a couple of minutes, then I'd be interested.

• therealeverton

Oct 14th 2011, 17:07

Marvel Studios are nothing to d with the X-Men films. They are made by Fox and licensed from Marvel. So far the only films Marvel Studios have made are Iron Man 1 & 2; The Incredible Hulk; Thor; Captain America and The Avengers. Any other film with Marvel characters has been made by a different studio and licensed from Marvel. If anything Marvel would like the other studios to stop making films like X-Men and The Amazing Spider-Man so they could get the rights back s Marvel Studios movies. (As with them getting the rights to use Hulk back from Universal.) They are at best minor partners in co-productions, but even then it aint Marvel Studios. The R rated thing is just something that always comes up. Everyone assumed Origins would be R, but they decided against it. The problem is that it cost as much to make these films and you can't be sure that the extra money you get from having an R rated film will offset the amount you lose from excluding so many younger viewers. Especially with so many countries having genuine barrier ratings systems. Sure 13 year olds can still see R rated films if they have adults with them in America, but in the UK and other countries it would be a 15 or even an 18 (or the equivalent) and that is a big % of your audience gone. Also , to be fair, they are excluded from something they love. I don't really care, as long as it is good and they don't mess it up. X2 & X-Men: First Class and Dark Knight etc are all 12 / PG-13 and they are some of the best super hero movies made. Sure it would be cool to see a Wolverine film with Blade level violence etc, as in the comics, but those films make a lot less money...

• TheEnigma

Oct 16th 2011, 5:10

The more timez I've seen First Class, the more it irkz me... I just don't think it was 'that' good... don't get me wrong, it was a 'good' movie, but the Ending seemz rushed, and Erik/Magneto seemz 2 hav inherited a bit of 'corn' by tha end of the film... "I am Magneto" hahahaha.!