Hugh Jackman wants to be James Bond

Applying for a licence to kill when Craig exits

Has speculation already started about who will play James Bond when Daniel Craig decides not to return to the tuxedo? Or is Hugh Jackman just throwing his hat into the ring early for a shot at portraying the secret agent?

Jackman claims he had the chance to play 007 when Casino Royale was looking for its lead actor but turned the role down.

“I got a call from my agent saying, 'There is some possible interest in you for Bond, are you interested?' At the time I wasn't. I was about to shoot X-Men 2 and Wolverine had become this thing in my life and I didn't want to be doing two such iconic characters at once,” he told the Press Association.

Would he have the same response if he was offered the role again?

“I think every male at some point thinks about playing James Bond so it was not right then, but it may be right if it comes back,” he added.

What would Hugh Jackman's Bond be like? And does whoever takes over from Daniel Craig have a tough act to follow? Get shaken and stirred in the comments section below!

Comments

• Rytrospyk

Oct 17th 2011, 19:18

I don't see Jackman doing Bond any justice. If they went back and camped Bond back up, Roger Moore esque, then sure, but he's too good doing Wolverine, he should probably keep that as his iconic role.

• McSerious

Oct 17th 2011, 19:41

As much as I'd love to see a Brit keeping the role (perhaps Richard Armitage coming in) I think Huge Action could definitely do Bond justice.

• LSJShez

Oct 17th 2011, 20:05

Does he now? Well I'm sorry, but everyone knows it's going to be Fass!

• lukeworm100

Oct 17th 2011, 20:22

I think Hugh would bring the sophistication that he had in The Prestige into this and I hope he would but for the whole Bond style he may not have it, he can certainly do action with claws coming out his hands but give him a gun and mortality then maybe he may not be so good.

• marlowe9

Oct 17th 2011, 21:57

Craig has to keep playing Bond, he's great in the role! Hopefully by the time Craig hangs it up, both he and Jackman will be too old for it. Seriously though, I think Jackman's too nice to be a convincing seducer of women or 'blunt instrument' - sure, he's got the looks and suavity to believably have women falling all over him, and he can do bad-a*s as Wolverine, but he's yet to display the callousness with which Bond can treat people. Even Craig, who's Bond is the most emotionally damaged of all the versions so far, has that detached, uncaring quality. Previously Brosnan was the only actor to show both a vulnerable side to 007 as well as his usual heartless persona. Whenever they recast Craig and whoever they pick to succeed him, a certain amount of reinvention of the franchise will be required and for the most part welcomed - Bond 23 is shaping up to be another dark, gritty film, an approach which I love for now but probably won't sustain the series as it changes actors and as the global political atmosphere changes. I would say that, if Jackman were to be cast in the role, Bond would have to be reinvented as an older, more ironic, less callous character - he'd have to revert to something closer resembling the Moore persona. Which frankly I think the world's had enough off.

• TheEnigma

Oct 18th 2011, 8:54

marlowe9 iz right, Jackman ain't a player or mild-womanizer enough 2 b Bond... But i disagree with commentz that he playz a good Wolverine... Wolverine ain't a pretty-boy, intellectually sound mutant... He iz an agressive, unrelenting, potty-mouthed, troubled soul... He deservez a hell of a lot better treatment than tha PG-Rated fare we've been dished up already...

• gonzoBen

Oct 18th 2011, 9:05

Alfie Moon has knitting needles coming out of his mits. Everybody knows it should be The Fass.

• gonzoBen

Oct 18th 2011, 9:07

@TheEnigma 's' is next to 'z'.

• Siban1982

Oct 18th 2011, 9:47

If not Hugh, then who? But I do think Jackman hasn't got the edge that Craig has. There seems to be some hidden sinister aspect to Craig's character and I think that comes from his look. Jackman is a bit too pretty. Would Colin Firth pull it off? Michael Fassbender? Christian Bale (lol)? Probably just be an American dude putting on a British accent like Downey Jnr and Sherlock Holmes.

• SiMan

Oct 18th 2011, 11:22

It is interesting to hear talk of possible successors throughout the history of the bond franchise - no one ever seems to question whether there will even be a new bond movie, let alone a new actor. Is this the only film franchise that is likely to go on forever? I wonder how many actors do genuinely aspire to get the part at some stage in their careers - it must be quite an acheivement to have. Wonder if they'll ever let an American play the part as well?

• QuietLife

Oct 18th 2011, 12:56

Another vote for Fass from me. Or Hardy perhaps.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Oct 18th 2011, 13:08

Give Hardy 10 years, then he'd be perfect

• LSJShez

Oct 18th 2011, 14:13

You've only to look at the darker moments of First Class, to see that Fass has got what it takes. He looked suave as hell too. I like Jackman in the films I've seen him in, but he just hasn't got the edge for what we want nowadays. No disrespect to the guy, but I'm sure I read somewhere, a quote from the Bond camp, that the reason they counted him out last time was because he was too fey. He rocks as Wolverine, but that is an OTT part. If we saw him playing a hard edged Bond, it would come across as him over trying; if that makes sense. Ewan Mcgregor was another that got talked up. Good at what he does, but not got the edge.

• ChrisWootton

Oct 18th 2011, 14:59

Go for an unknown. Jason Isaacs would've been great but sadly a little old now. Henry Cavill got down to the last two so money would be on him at some point in the future.

Oct 18th 2011, 20:50

I think it's pretty much a lock that Fassenbender will be the next bond.

• GarthMarenghi

Oct 18th 2011, 23:08

Really, Fassbender as Bond? I don't see it. He's a great actor, but he's not suave enough and he gives the impression of having clammy hands, for some reason. It's the pasty skin, I guess. I can see him playing a child molester or a substitute maths teacher, but not Bond. Jackman would be perfect.

• QuietLife

Oct 18th 2011, 23:38

Haha! Didn't you know that Fleming always portrayed Bond as having hands as clammy as a wet kebab? Do some research Dag/Garth. :P

Oct 19th 2011, 17:13

LOL Garth " It's the pasty skin, I guess. I can see him playing a child molester or a substitute maths teacher "

• GarthMarenghi

Oct 19th 2011, 23:32

Thanks, Ali. Always nice to be appreciated! ;)