Hugh Jackman wants to see Wolverine, Spider-Man and Avengers team up

Says studios should split the cost

There has been plenty of speculation ahead of The Avengers 2 as to which new members of the Marvel universe will be added to the super sequel, but according to Hugh Jackman, Marvel should aim high and draft in Wolverine and Spider-Man.

"I literally asked [that] question the other day to Tom from Marvel who works with all the other studios," Jackman told Collider in a recent interview. "He works with Sony and Fox, that’s his job to liaise."

"I said, ‘Man, can this happen?’ and he goes ‘Look, it’s not gonna be easy because you’re working with different studios and they’re their properties.’"

"But I believe," continues Jackman. "Maybe I’m optimistic, I understand at Marvel they’ve got The Avengers, they’ve got a lot of big things going on."

"But at some point I just find it almost impossible that there’s not a way to bring Iron Man, all the Avengers characters, Wolverine, the X-Men characters, Spider-Man, and somehow get them in together."

An idea most Marvel fans would love to see, but for the thorny issue of the various character rights. However, Jackman doesn't see why the studios can't work together to overcome that problem.

"I don’t see the impediment," says Jackman. "You’ve got three studios, just split it three ways in terms of the cost, and happy days it’s all coming together! I would love to. I’m in for it, I’m totally up for it because I think that would be really exciting for fans across the board.”

Amen to that. The Wolverine opens in the UK on 25 July 2013.

Would you watch Jackman's super team-up? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Jul 12th 2013, 6:25

"Iron Man, all the Avengers characters, Wolverine, the X-Men characters, Spider-Man"? All of them? Any movie like that would be a string of cameos. You can't possibly balance that many characters! Heck, X-Men couldn't even balance their own characters – please keep that dreck away from Avengers.

• Gindalf0492

Jul 12th 2013, 7:33

Dont care for new spiderman in it, but Wolverine yes.

• batt101

Jul 12th 2013, 8:05

One step at a time, lets have a decent Wolverine film first!!

• mattburgess

Jul 12th 2013, 8:26

I like Hugh Jackman. He wants to give the fans what they want. I think it would work, so long they don't try to give ALL the characters their own story arcs. The action would be epic.

• SiMan

Jul 12th 2013, 13:02

I'd welcome it even as some kind of cameo during the latter stages of an Avengers movie - i can see Nick Fury standing before some 'big bad' and calling in some backup and the Black-bird, Quintjet, the fantis-car, Spidey, the Hulk and whoever else swing on in and have an almighty smackdown. I do prefer to think of all of the properties existing in one universe, as the comics do, and i wish the studios could come to some kind of understanding and allow more corss-overs.

• SiMan

Jul 12th 2013, 13:04

Oh, and for Wolverine himself, if the new film is a success (god i hope it is after misstep that was origins), i wich they'd do a film of the 'Enemy of The State' storyline, where Wolverine is kidnapped, brainwashed and let loose on the marvel universe, trying to kill everyone. That would give Jackman an excuse to put Wolvie in the other properties and give us an excellent story for his as well.

• ilikescifi

Jul 12th 2013, 13:27

@batt101 absolutely correct. I think Hugh wants Baz Luhrman to direct a mega musical hero franchise that has Iron Man, Spiderman, Thor, Wolverine, Donald Duck, Chewbacca....

Jul 12th 2013, 18:17

I admire Hugh's enthusiasm but this is a pipe dream. Perhaps someone should enlighten Hugh that Fox do have the rights to the Fantastic Four series, I would pay good coin to see Wolverine and Thing together in a movie.

• trist808

Jul 12th 2013, 21:35

@SiMan, I'm with you on the same universe part. I consider them all to be part of the Marvel Universe, just like the comics. Each series stands alone and characters have adventures without the need to crossover other heroes. In fact for decades Marvel (in the comics) have had characters sharing New York and very rarely crossing paths. The sticking point is, as already mentioned, the rights to certain characters are owned by different companies (Disney, Sony, FOX etc, etc) and bringing them together would take hours of negotiation and bucketfuls of lawyers ... that's not to say it couldn't happen, but it is remote. And the only reason to do it (to make it worth while) would be a storyline such as Civil War, AVX, Infinity Gauntlet (although this may happen in Avengers 2 or 3 anyway), perhaps even Secret Wars ... but good on Hugh for speaking out and saying what many fans would like to see.

• chrismckeown

May 21st 2014, 10:19

we already know the back-stories for all the characters , so there'd be no need to provide a long drawn-out buildup. With the avengers and the new avengers , members were always coming and going , joining and leaving all the time , so there's no reason why spiderman or wolverine shouldn't be in it as they have been in the comics , but I would say this. They shouldn't be afraid to make a movie 3 hours long. Some of us grew up with these characters and read the comics , so we hate to see the movies done in such a way where they're clumsily done , just because they have to fit into 2 hours 20 minutes or people will start getting impatient and shuffling around in their seats.