Hugo Weaving doesn’t want to play Red Skull again

Actor rules out returning as Marvel’s villain

Hugo Weaving has ruled out the possibility of reappearing as Red Skull, in Marvel’s Phase Two.

No stranger to big-budget, multi-installment mega-franchises, Weaving has previously starred in the Matrix, Transformers and Lord Of The Rings trilogies, and he’ll be reprising his role as Elrond in The Hobbit three-parter.

But, it seems like his days of blockbusting might be behind him, as he revealed that he was not keen to return to Marvel’s cinematic universe to play the Captain America bad guy.

When Collider asked him about a multi-picture deal with the comics giant, he explained. “I did that [a multi-picture deal] for Captain America. I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back.

“They might for The Avengers, but I didn’t think I’d be in Captain America 2 or 3. I don’t think Red Skull will be there. And it’s not something I would want to do again. I’m glad I did it.

“I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to. I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film.

“It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways.

“But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.”

We’re reading between the lines here, but Weaving gives the impression that he’s not the biggest fan of Captain America, which is a bit of a shame considering his snarling, Herzog-accented bad guy was a real highlight.

We’re also a little disappointed to think that Weaving’s scarlet-bonced baddie probably won’t join forces with Thanos or Loki or Malekith to go head-to-head with The Avengers. Shame.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier opens in 2014, with The Avengers 2 following in 2015.

Gutted that Weaving doesn’t want to play Red Skull again? Tell us below…

Comments

• AlfredsDream098

Oct 15th 2012, 19:06

:( Shame that.

Oct 15th 2012, 19:30

Well that's lame. I was hoping The Red Skull was going to be at Thanos' side in the future.

• mcghater

Oct 15th 2012, 19:38

they wouldnt force you??.........you may want to think again hugo......disney always gets what it wants

• cybirturkoglu

Oct 15th 2012, 19:41

i did like Captain America and i did felt like they didnt use the full potential od mr Hugo couse... he is a great actor and the potential of Red Skull is without frontier and they just didnt grab the chance they had to make it amazing as it should be.

• SiMan

Oct 15th 2012, 19:54

Wasn't there that toyline for the Avengers film that had a Red Skull figure that TF told was a possible sign he would appear in the movie? Wonder if they did want him in but he said no?

• therealeverton

Oct 15th 2012, 20:25

Maybe it is as simple as making sure he has a meatier role. There's a lot of work to go through just to turn up on set. the first film had to be almost all about Steve Rogers, as such Weaving didn't have a great deal to do. If they brought him back his character would, you assume, have a great deal more to do and more depth. f so I'd like to think Weaving would be happier to return?

• Monkeynuts30

Oct 15th 2012, 21:11

Actors fulfilling contract pictures have a tendency to phone it in, so while I'll miss his Red Skull I'd far prefer the studio respected his wishes. There are plenty of WWII era Cappy bad guys other than Schmidt and Zola.

• Monkeynuts30

Oct 15th 2012, 21:12

Better a different character than a lazy performance ruining the film, I say. (hit enter too soon sorry).

Oct 15th 2012, 21:20

He played the villain in Transformers, Matrix and Capt America, so maybe he is just bored with being typecast and wants to do some actual acting.

• apo1978

Oct 16th 2012, 0:14

Just get Spurs' goalie Brad Friedel to play him. He won't even need make-up, just a splash of red paint....

• stuxmusic

Oct 16th 2012, 8:47

Boo. Does he know that it's always going to be better for him to star in these films, rather than Matrix 2+3?

Oct 16th 2012, 11:05

Yeah I'd rather a different character or actor than forcing Hugo to phone in his performance.

• SiMan

Oct 16th 2012, 13:11

Maybe they should force him to do it and make a documentary of their efforts. I bet he still has a few kung-fu moves in his arsenal!