Iron Man 3 starts next round of sequels leading to Avengers 2

Marvel studio head Kevin Feige makes announcement...

After the first official Avengers trailer teased us last week, Marvel stopped off at the New York Comic-Con where studio head Kevin Feige spoke about what’s next for the Marvel franchise.

Feige said that Iron Man 3 would be the first film “In the second phase of The Avengers initiative,”  which basically means the next wave of Marvel sequels that will start to the build to Avengers 2.

Feige also confirmed to fans that Marvel is already working on Iron Man 3 with director Shane Black.

Feige said that Iron Man 3 will be “the first of what we sort of refer to as phase two of this saga that will culminate, God willing, in Avengers 2.”

So, it sounds like Marvel will be pumping out Iron Man 3, Captain America 2 and Thor 2 before we get our The Avengers sequel.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Avengers 2 will be hitting the big screen until 2014 at the earliest, as Iron Man 3 is scheduled for a May 2013 release, Thor 2 for November 2013 and Captain America 2 doesn’t even have a release date as of yet!

Regardless of all the release date nonsense, it is still exciting for Marvel fans to hear about what the future of the franchise has to offer.

Speaking of which, fans will be delighted to know that Fiege has confirmed an Iron Man 3 teaser trailer at the end of The Avengers, so make sure you stay seated or you'll be more upset than Tony Stark at last orders.

What do you think of the Marvel franchise? Let us know below!

Comments

• LukeSween

Oct 17th 2011, 13:00

this is good news, but I am hoping that with all these films being planned they aren't diluted down just to keep the franchises ticking over as that would start to cause them to lose their charm. Lets hope that the thurd installment is refreshing and makes up for the barely average sequel

• revan1138

Oct 17th 2011, 13:03

iron man needs to up his game as i was sorely let down by part 2.and i hope all the actors return to there roles.there is nothing more annoying when they change an actor for the same role it disjoints any movie for me.but that aside i am looking forward to the avengers and the movies that will follow.

• FBMBurgess

Oct 17th 2011, 13:14

Hopefuly crossing characters over will become a little more casual. Like, 'oh hey, there's cap america in 10 minutes of iron man 3', sorta thing. And will Spiderman make a cameo in anything? That'd be awesome! God I hope Avengers doesn't suck!

• badger86

Oct 17th 2011, 13:21

Pretty excited about having shane black calling the shots on im3 , expecting good things. Whatever you may think of the movies you have to admire Marvels balls. They took a big risk by putting all that time and money into constructing this movieverse so much could have gone wrong, the individual films (imo) are for the most part solid three star movies which work pretty well as a whole. Had any of them been absolute stinkers it could have upset the whole plan. Iron man 2 was choppy but it did just about enough. and i didn't really like Hulk but many did. I'd like to see the sequels do well, but the market is becoming over saturated with this stuff so perhaps this time there's even more of a risk that the bubble may pop before avengers 2 gets here.

• Frankie88

Oct 17th 2011, 14:17

Don't forget the Ant-Man and possible Black Widow, Hawkeye and S.H.I.E.L.D movies, which I'm sure are also part of phase two. I think there was no word on Captain America sequel, but the Avengers could rightfully claim that title, even though they could easily put something between Cap waking up and Loki's arrival in the timeline. Also, there's a jerm of a hope at the back of my mind that if things go the way for Marvel, they could adapt Civil War into the third Avengers and start off a new arc. And Stan Lee going to have more movie credits than your average respected actor(ess).

• KerrAvon

Oct 17th 2011, 14:32

It's good news that Marvel are putting so much effort into their movies and have some great forward planning. But in all honesty the Avengers is ages away yet let alone Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and the rest of them. So I find it difficult to get excited about something that is so far ahead. In the meantime just show us the Skrulls already.

• Siban1982

Oct 17th 2011, 15:02

I'm soon becoming less and less interested. I don't hold out high hopes for the Avengers movie and the last Hulk and Iron Man films weren't exactly top. It's about time they let loose with some hard edge violence and realism and create a more mature approach like Nolan's Batman films to the characters. It feels like there's no struggle for any of the characters and they're not afraid of anything. To me that's pretty uninteresting and boring. Seems to me like they're going to take the formula of Iron Man or Thor and just regurgitate it over and over again with the new films (like the Pirates films), changing very little with regards to maturity and entertainment levels and making it feel like you've seen it all before. It would be nice to see a Planet Hulk and World War Hulk movie but at this rate, can't see it happening.

• FBMBurgess

Oct 17th 2011, 15:51

There are some excellent ideas in this thread - Civil War could easilly be a thread covering Avengers AND Iron Man, Thor, Cap America, etc. And World War Hulk would finally give us a Hulk story worth making into a movie.

• alexr

Oct 17th 2011, 16:14

@Siban1982 I would like to think that Marvel would be up for the more violent content in their movies, but with the lack of patronage to Punisher: War Zone, I can't see them pushing that particular envelope too much. The Marvel Knights brand is a bleak, violent world which suits Punisher to the ground, but is this the direction that Marvel would want to go - being synonymous with the 'family entertainment' style movies of the last decade (and a bit)? Don't get me wrong, I would love them to break out the grit and grime of the violent comic frames (and I would dearly love a Punisher series that doesn't need to be rebooted every time) but I can't see Marvel taking the violence to wide mainstream cinema releases.

• alexr

Oct 17th 2011, 16:23

@FBMBurgess At the current time, Spiderman will make no appearances in the Marvel 'Cinematic Universe' as the character's film rights are currently held by Sony Pictures Entertainment - hence the unnecessarily early reboot of the Spiderman franchise (Apparently, Sony had to make another movie within 5 years or the screen rights reverted back to Marvel - but don't quote me on that...!)

• nkutzler

Oct 17th 2011, 16:38

I'm staying pretty optimistic for all of these movies, and now I'm realizing that it's because of Robert Downey Jr. He MADE the Avengers happen, and now I'm seeing that the movie may just be worth it.

• murphy

Oct 17th 2011, 18:17

Que dullndrabs list of favourite marvel comics.......

Oct 17th 2011, 18:39

Just wish Marvel had the rights to X-Men, FF and Daredevil.

• DravenCage

Oct 18th 2011, 8:15

@KerrAvon - How do you know they haven't shown us a Skrull already? ;)

• alexr

Oct 18th 2011, 15:26

@DravenCage I'll be pretty p****d if ScarJo is a Skrull...although, if Pepper Potts turned out to be one, that might not be so bad...