Iron Man 3 writer tapped by Paramount for Mission: Impossible 5

Drew Pearce will write the next adventure

When your latest film posts the second highest opening weekend in US box office history, you can expect some Hollywood doors to open, as is fast proving the case with British screenwriter Drew Pearce.

Having co-written Iron Man 3's whip-smart script alongside Shane Black (we can only imagine the Croydon reference came from Pearce), Pearce has now been hired by Paramount to take on another mega-franchise in the form of Mission: Impossible 5.

Tom Cruise was recently confirmed to have signed on for the fourth sequel in the long-running series, which recently enjoyed its most successful outing with the near $700m grossing Ghost Protocol.

The film has yet to announce a director, although Christopher McQuarrie has been strongly linked to the position, having worked with Cruise previously on Jack Reacher.

Production is set to begin on the film in the autumn, after Cruise wraps work on Warner's The Man From U.N.C.L.E. adaptation. Better get writing then, Drew...

Is Pearce a good appointment? Tell us, below!

Comments

• mattburgess

May 15th 2013, 11:19

From IM3 to MI5. It'll be interesting to see, by comparrison, how much of Iron Man Three was influenced by Black and how much by Pearce. I still have no idea why MI4 was such a hugely grossing film. Wasn't it the 2nd worst one so far? The odd-numbered Mission Impossible rule means Cruise will have short hair in this one. Which is good, because he looks like a muppet with long hair.

• mbarn1

May 15th 2013, 11:30

y

• mbarn1

May 15th 2013, 11:31

the second worst or third best??

• chibik

May 15th 2013, 11:33

@mattburgess: Ghost Protocol is actually my favourite so far. And I really enjoyed IM3, so I guess I'm in for a treat!

• trist808

May 15th 2013, 11:47

Ghost Protocol is my favourite M:I film so far as well, it felt as though they were a team all working together to stop the threat in that one. In the other 3 films it was the "Ethan Hunt Saves The World On His Own" show, especially the awful 2nd film where no other IM team members were even involved in the finale and as much as I enjoyed the third film, again it felt as though it was all about Ethan. In Ghost Protocol, you got a sense of a team dynamic and that Ethan couldn't (and didn't) do everything himself. The original TV series was all about a group working together with their various skills to pull off the mission, GP was the first film to feel like the TV series in my opinion and I hope that continues in the 5th adventure :)

• SiMan

May 15th 2013, 13:29

Agree that it was much better in terms of the 'team' ethos in the last film, but i still think there's room for improvement. The finale still felt too much like 'cruise-saves-the-day', but i'm looking forward to another film

May 15th 2013, 14:52

Did TF really have to violate my screen with a Dan Brown Ad? Seriously, Dan Brown...

• crystakura

May 15th 2013, 15:11

IM3 was pish so I guess he is going to be ruining another (mediocre) franchise.

• ilikescifi

May 15th 2013, 15:24

Cruise can stay cool via this franchise. let's have more spy tech. no one does that anymore. Bond's gone all gritty and sledgehammer

• hawkass

May 15th 2013, 16:13

I loved the last M:I film. I think, with the exception of the second one, these films have gotten better as they've gone on. Each new one fixes the flaws of the last, imo. That's not to say they're perfect, but they definitely seem to learn from their mistakes and improve as they go on. M:I4 was my favourite for the same reason most people liked it, which was the team dynamic. They all had great chemistry with each other and it really felt like each one played their part in achieving the goal, which was stopping the nuke. I'll probably be seeing the new one either way, but I really hope they keep Renner, Pegg, and Patton as the team with Ethan if possible. They were great together.

• trist808

May 15th 2013, 16:22

I'd like to see Luther (Ving Rhames) back on active duty with the team in the next one, I missed his presence in GP although he did have a fun cameo at the end :)

• jamiebates

May 15th 2013, 16:31

@mattburgess critically MI4 is actually the best of the whole series, a whopping 93% on RT, it has also been the most commercially successful of the lot as well

May 15th 2013, 19:59

You know what this means.........the villain is going to turn out to be an actor.