Iron Man 3 writer updates on Marvel’s Runaways

Hopes it will still be made

Drew Pearce might have enjoyed huge success with his work on the Iron Man 3 script, but the writer still harbours hopes that his very first project for Marvel will still be made some day.

Pearce was responsible for writing the script for a Runaways adaptation, with Marvel set to bring the teenage superhero series to the big screen, only for other projects to divert the studio’s attention.

“We were really close to being made, and then this movie started to happen called The Avengers,” explains Pearce. “Oddly, it pulled focus from the unheard-of brand Runaways, and it really did kind of consume the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“It’s there, so maybe it’ll be a Phase Three movie,” continues the writer. “I really hope so. I’m really proud of it and I think it’ll be a brilliant film, but I think it all depends what Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel, what his master plan is.”

With Marvel’s slate looking increasingly busy, we’d assume that Phase Three might be optimistic, but hopefully a Runaways project will get made at some point down the track…

Would you like to see a Runaways adaptation? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Sep 25th 2013, 11:26

I loved Iron Man 3 and look foward to hopefully seeing more of Pearce's work in the MCU.

• spid2411

Sep 25th 2013, 14:21

I thought Iron Man 3 was terrible - huge disappointment.

• darthnixa

Sep 25th 2013, 16:27

Iron Man 3 was the worst movie of all time.

• DarthTwitch

Sep 25th 2013, 17:53

Oh, come on. Iron Man 3 sucked. He turned a badass like The Mandarin into a f*****g joke. I have no doubt whatosever that he will completely screw The Runaways up. w****r.

• GarthMarenghi

Sep 25th 2013, 22:47

I'm astonished that anyone disliked Iron Man 3. Great action and performances and laugh-out-loud funny. The twist with the Mandarin was brilliant, and possibly the only way you could handle such a racist, dated comic book character these days - effectively turning the process of his creation into a commentary on news media's insatiable need for scaremongering. Brilliantly performed by Ben Kingsley. Some of you hard-line fanboys need to grow & lighten-up.

• spid2411

Sep 26th 2013, 11:11

I'm not a fanboy myself (never read any of the comics) - just thought the film was poor. The Mandarin bit was quite funny and I can see how that would annoy the hardcore fans (that reveal was actually quite an intelligent comment on what is going on in our society and how we are bombarded with images of fake villains to mask those truly to blame - an unusually clever message for a blockbuster), but the overall film was just like the majority of the Marvel stuff i.e. not very good.

• GarthMarenghi

Sep 26th 2013, 13:28

Well, I'll say it - as sequels go I thought Iron Man 3 was vastly superior to The Dark Knight Rises, and I've enjoyed all the Marvel movies to varying degrees but this was probably my favourite of them. Shane Black knows how to put together a coherent and exciting action sequence like few other current directors, and his dialogue is streets ahead of most comic book movies. Genuinely quotable, with likeable, warm characters (even the disposable henchmen!), as opposed to a bunch of chilly cyphers standing around on rooftops giving speeches to the audience about the movie's supposedly deep-and-meaningful subtext. Brian Tyler's lively closing titles cue was certainly the most memorable superhero theme we've had in the modern era too, which is a nice bonus. But to each their own.

• spid2411

Sep 27th 2013, 9:08

Each to their own indeed - more a Dark Knight person than a Marvel fan. Have to say though that I actually really liked Iron Man 2 (it always gets pasted) up to the point of the grand prix with whiplash destroying the cars. I thought that sequence was stunning and by far the best of that trilogy. The scene had a real sense of threat and menace and Iron Man suddenly looked vulnerable. Just a shame it lost its way after that - apparently Mickey Rourke was angry that a lot of his scenes were just cut out and he was reduced to a nothing villain. No idea why they did that but whatever the reason, it was a bad move.

Sep 27th 2013, 11:54

Iron Man 3 was atrocious.

• BatMaN

Sep 30th 2013, 11:44

The only thing good about ironman 3 was Robert downey jr.