Is Disney planning a Rocketeer reboot?

Mouse House ponders second crack at comic-book adaptation

Joe Johnston's adaptation of The Rocketeer celebrated its 20th anniversary last year, and Disney was clearly paying attention, with the studio reportedly planning to remake the comic-book adventure for a new audience.

Vulture reports that Alan Horn, the new studio head of the Mouse House, is keen to revive the venerable property, and is currently listening to pitches from writers in order to decide how best to approach the project.

The original film told the story of stunt pilot Cliff Secord, who discovers a secret prototype for a rocket-powered backpack. Naturally, being an upstanding citizen, he uses the prototype to fight the Nazis, as any right-thinking person would.

Starring Billy Campbell, Jennifer Connelly and Alan Arkin, the original is beloved by fans of the comic book for its faithfulness to the source material, and cheerfully un-cynical take on super-powered heroism.

What with Disney's existing tie-up with Marvel, it would be interesting to see how it would approach the property today. Perhaps Secord could team up with Captain America in the ongoing battle against fascism? Just a thought…

Would you welcome a Rocketeer remake? Tell us, below!

Comments

• TwoBobRuss

Aug 22nd 2012, 12:37

I know this will upset fans of the comic and film but with the success of Iron Man, would this just look like a cheap rip-off to the uneducated??

• SiMan

Aug 22nd 2012, 12:59

Man, haven't seen the Rocketeer in ages. Think i might have to track it down on DVD and see how well it holds up to how i remember it. Think this could work as a new film, but they should keep the 30's setting i reckon. As pointed out above, it could be too similar to Iron Man if done in present day.

• MxMagpie

Aug 22nd 2012, 13:45

I reckon they'd totally play off the Steampunk aesthetic for this one. Whether they do it well or just make a gimmick out of it however; that's the decider.

• FBPMurray37

Aug 22nd 2012, 14:02

One of my favourite movies, and it has a phenomenal score. It also has a very nice streak of Indiana Jones-style TV serial heroism to it. The Rocketeer is a brilliant concept and a modern take has potential, but it'd have to go to extraordinary lengths to replace the original in my affections. I still think it's criminal that it didn't do the box office required to green light a sequel, because it's a cracking film.

• ChrisWootton

Aug 22nd 2012, 14:29

Agreed, cracking movie... holds up really well. I even love the line "I might not make an honest buck, but I'm %100 American and I don't work for no two-bit nazi"

Aug 22nd 2012, 16:56

I saw it in the cinema, the only thing i remember was Jennifer COnnelly...well... she had her knockers...