Is the Halo movie back on?

Book promotion suggests movie, Microsoft doesn't

Has the Halo movie finally fought its way out of development hell?

Information included in a French press release for a book based on the videogame suggests a movie is planned for release in 2012 and is being made in cooperation with some major names.

"A film adaptation is set in 2012. It will be conducted jointly by two heavyweights of American cinema: Steven Spielberg and Dreamworks," says the press release for Halo: Cryptum, after a little translation.

ET go home (before we frag your ass)?

Sadly, Microsoft has already shot down rumours of a rebirth for the Halo movie.

"The information in the press release in question is inaccurate. We have no plans for a Halo feature film right now. Our focus is on developing Halo: Anniversary and Halo 4," the tech giant told IGN.

Master Chief, where are you?

Will we ever see a Halo movie? Who should play Master Chief? And would it matter given that we wouldn't want to see him out of his helmet? Fire away in the comments section below?

Comments

• BobbyTwoTimes

Oct 7th 2011, 15:06

Dalidab = bellend!

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Oct 7th 2011, 15:41

Can I just ask... what's with all the Dalidab bashing on this site?

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 15:43

@ Dalidab1982 The main difference between Halo and some of these other FPS games that you have mentioned (Resistance aside - would be an awesome film - rather like Battle:LA in fact) is that the story narrative for Halo is extremely rich and deeply detailed. The concepts were strikingly original for its time and each installment adds more and more scope to the Halo universe. IMO Duke Nukem would not make a successful movie as the concept is now severely dated - and surpassed by Bulletstorm - which is pretty much why the Duke Nukem Forever game bombed. The biggest problem making a game like Halo work on the big screen is the leading character. While Halo fans will say Master Chief is a great leading man, the fact that (like Judge Dredd) you never see his face is a problem. People find it hard to connect with characters they cannot read emotionally. This is why I believe Halo: Reach would have made a better transition to the screen and paved the way for the main Halo story...

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 15:44

Still, James Cameron may have a point when he says that his Avatar concept ideas for the Vertibird aircraft are similar to, and may predate, the aircraft in the original Halo game...

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 15:57

@Dalidab1982 Also, I have to defend war films. You made a very brave generalisation there: "(it will just be like every single other war film out)". I dare you to try and claim that Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, and The Hurt Locker are just like each other. Also, go back and watch The Sands of Iwo Jima (Not to be confused with Letters From Iwo Jima - also awesome), The Battle of Britain, Flags of Our Fathers, and Born on the Fourth of July just to be sure before you repeat that claim again! I might have to turn on the Superhero and Romantic Comedy genres otherwise...

• mcghater

Oct 7th 2011, 16:44

@ravey do you really need to ask? he said he hopes a halo movie never comes when quite clearly a halo ovie would generate a massive amount of cash, dont get me wrong id much rather see gears of war made into a film but halo would be my second choice

• writerdave87

Oct 7th 2011, 17:14

Wait... Dalidab, the guy who thinks every straight guy is a mysogenistic rapist, likes DUKE NUKEM???

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 17:26

@Dalidab I am sorry to disagree with you, but They Live predated the original Duke Nukem by 3 years and had nothing what-so-ever in common with the franchise. In contrast, and to further back up my point, Duke Nukem didn't become the macho, sexist, tough guy d******d until Duke Nukem 3D in 1996. There are similarities between Nada (Roddy Piper - They Live) and Duke, but this was only after the change in Duke's design. You might argue tha Duke Nukem is now the game version of They Live though...

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 17:32

@Dalidab Saving Private Ryan has been recognised by many as the most accurate WW2 movie ever made. Certainly, veterans from D-Day say the opening assault on the beach was almost as harrowing to watch as it was to remember, as it contained so much more detail than other films had ever tried to convey. I understand why you don't like it, but it is not exactly Navy Seals is it? Can't you give it another try? For me?

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 17:38

@Dalidab - I apologise, I just re-read your response at 16:01 and I see you mention that They Live was out before Duke Nukem. I still disagree in principle, but I take back my arguement and step back into my pram...

• writerdave87

Oct 7th 2011, 18:35

I don't particularly like SPR as after the fantastic opening, the story itself is quite cliched and fairly shmaltzy.

• writerdave87

Oct 7th 2011, 19:29

Don't worry I continue to judge you. I'm not surprised you're a hypocrite about Duke Nukem, you're a hypocrite about pretty much everything else so why should videogames be any different?

Oct 7th 2011, 19:51

Weta's live action commercials for Halo 3 showed it's possible to make a Halo movie.

Oct 7th 2011, 20:05

Medal of Honour is rubbish compared to Battlefield, (plus Bad company spin off), Rainbox 6 and Call of Duty, I would rather play Wolfenstein than MOH.

• Trickycustomer

Oct 7th 2011, 20:24

peter jackson's weta also built a full sized working warthog for the movie, check out the vid on youtube ;->

• Trickycustomer

Oct 7th 2011, 20:24

PS Make this film

• alexr

Oct 7th 2011, 21:31

@Hadouken76. Rainbow 6 Vegas would make an awesome movie!!! I'd pay good money to see that - if I didn't have a Cineworld pass...

Oct 8th 2011, 0:13

Your should read the novel alexr, its a fun ride!

• LordRaymond

Oct 9th 2011, 1:03

I'm not a fan of Halo or Xbox360 but I would defnately watch this movie if they were to make one.

• DuffyUK

Oct 10th 2011, 18:30

Dalidab anyone? http://www.likeaphobia.us/picture/5552/anatomy-of-a-forum-troll/