J.J. Abrams talks Star Wars plans

“Honouring but not revering what came before”

J.J. Abrams has been determinedly coy about for Star Wars: Episode VII so far, but has given some impression of his plans for taking the sci-fi franchise forwards in a new interview.

“That thing is so massive and so important to so many people," says Abrams. "I know from seeing the first film when I was 11 what that felt like. I think the key in moving forward with something like this is in honouring but not revering what came before."

“There's that deep feeling of infinite possibilities that I think was the ultimate thing I thought when I first saw Star Wars which I would - and probably will - give my left arm to try and come close to again.”

And with much of the shoot set to take place in England, Abrams will have to cope with a change in routine as well as the pressure of expectation.

“There was already a pre-arranged thing for them to be shooting in England which, really does make me insane,” confesses the director. “I've never shot a movie outside the US or out of L.A.”

Star Wars: Episode VII
is scheduled to arrive in cinemas in May 2015

What do you think of Abrams' plans? Tell us, below!

Comments

• BobTheSkull

Jun 10th 2013, 11:23

As much as I like Abrams stuff in general, and I think he's a fantastic director... this thing with modern day directors on refusing/hating working somewhere other than 'home' really p**ses me off. If you don't like the idea of working on one of the biggest franchises in history because, god forbid, you will shoot in the UK, DON'T TAKE THE GIG!!! A director should go to, and act on, the elements that they feel will make the better picture, tell the better story... not sit in one friggin studio because that's where they feel comfortable. If a particular studio half way around the world has the best of a certain system or experience in making something, and you have access to it... use it, not sit and b***h about it cause you don't like working outside LA. Sheesh..... /end rant

• crystakura

Jun 10th 2013, 12:58

If he ruins it, I'll ruin him...

• chibik

Jun 10th 2013, 13:24

Easy, Bob, remember that directors have lives too. It ain't fun to pack up and move.

• Wolfy82

Jun 10th 2013, 14:07

But at the same time it is his job and is gettin compensated more than enough for being away from home for a short time. With the posssible chance of making even more money on top of that, if u ask me it should be all about the film and whats right for it and not to do with silly preferences.

• ilikescifi

Jun 10th 2013, 14:32

poor JJ

• nacho316

Jun 10th 2013, 16:25

Cant be any worse than the prequel poop we got from that jelly jowled turkey w***e Lucas i welcome new direction and the less Lucas has to do with it the better.

Jun 10th 2013, 16:44

I dont mind JJ doing it, as long as Damon Lindeof isn't involved, he is like the franchise poison. "Oh I can't be arssd to explain things, so I will just leave it ambiguous, yes the internet speculation will fill in the holes. That will do. I'm a genius, lazy work, freeking easy money!"

• chrishuggett

Jun 10th 2013, 19:42

Ooh oh no a foreign country where they speak a better version of my own language, have better production facilities and trained staff and won't lick my a*s to get a leg up in their career Woah is me

Jun 10th 2013, 19:47

Episode 7 will be special.

• StevePotter

Jun 10th 2013, 22:43

It's pretty hilarious that he talks about giving up his arm, considering the franchise.

• HughFran

Jun 11th 2013, 0:37

lol listen to all the English on here, don't be so easily offended people at the perceived slight of England. It's not easy to up sticks and move to another country to work, even if the money is good. He DOES have a life too you know.

• FBMHobbs

Jun 11th 2013, 9:32

Sounds to me like he's already making excuses.... “I've never shot a movie outside the US or out of L.A.” “We are, most likely, if all goes ahead, going to be moving to London at the end of the year... There's a whole lot of stuff happening at home. It's not an easy thing.”

• BobTheSkull

Jun 11th 2013, 17:13

@HughFran... I'm not English. I'm not offended he's not keen on 'filming' in the UK. He doesn't have to 'up sticks'. Hundreds of actors and crew do it every year. It's their job. It's one of the reasons they get paid an obscene amount of money. Does that mean that soldiers are allowed to turn round and say 'you know what, going abroad for 6 months? I'm not really keen on leaving the country so if it's alright with you, is there any way you can move the trouble here?'.... gimmie a break. Yes, he has a life... but unlike the other 99% of the world, he also has the money to make that life and any short term changes a lot more comfortable...