J.J. Abrams to direct Star Wars: Episode VII

According to multiple industry reports

J.J. Abrams is set to direct Star Wars: Episode VII, according to The Wrap and other industry sources.

While the initial report was met with some dubiousness, it has been followed up by a Deadline article and a tweet from The Hollywood Reporter’s Borys Kitt.

The latter suggest negotiations are ongoing, but Deadline calls it a done deal. It seems as if Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams for some time. Ben Affleck was also said to be in the running.

If the news is true, it’s one of the most internet-shattering revelations since… well, the announcement that there’s going to be a Star Wars: Episode VII.

It’s no surprise that Abrams is a sought after candidate: he made Star Trek movies cool, proving he could satisfy fans while welcoming noobs, and Super 8 proved he could homage classic ‘70s/’80s era sci-fi blockbusters in a thoroughly modern way.

As soon as there’s an official announcement from Disney, we’ll let you know, but there’s one question that’s on our mind for now: can one person really direct Trek and Wars?

And in the past, Abrams has been vocally against taking the SW directing job, saying, “It comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series... I am looking forward more than anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer."

At least we can be pretty sure that interviewers are going to have something to bug J.J. about other than Khan now…

Star Wars: Episode VII is set to open in 2015. Right, we’re off for a lie-down.

Has this news blown your mind? Or are you waiting for official confirmation from Disney? Tell us below…

Comments

• andrewhanley

Jan 24th 2013, 23:13

I doubt this is true. I mean, Abrams is a sci-fi master and it would be great to see him take on Star Wars but he likes dipping his feet into different projects. The man was hesitant enough to return to Star Trek and the fact that he's already tackled one of the big two sci-fi series makes me wonder whether he'd risk pigeon-holing himself by taking on the other. Not to mention the civil war among fanboys that would erupt if someone directed Trek and Wars!

• FBJRider

Jan 24th 2013, 23:13

If true this is pretty good news. He's one of the few people I trust with the franchise, he's more than capable of making up for the atrocities of the prequel trilogy.

• marc96

Jan 24th 2013, 23:13

great choice, love the direction he has taken star trek.. (dont kill me for saying it)

Jan 24th 2013, 23:22

Wow this is such a bold and odd decision from both Disney and J.J. I admire the man for having the ambition to tackle Star wars and I respect Disney for going for a young director with Sci Fi expeirence. I worry about the future of Star Trek though, the inevitable third movie probably won't have J.J directing :-(

Jan 24th 2013, 23:23

I think it's true as the news is all over the movie sites from Variety, Coming Soon and Empire.

• BobTheSkull

Jan 24th 2013, 23:42

I'm expecting a deluge of 'OMG JJ DONT RAPE SW LIEK U DID TREK' rage soon. I enjoyed his Trek reboot. I enjoy most of his tv outings. When he took on Trek he admitted he was more a fan of Star Wars so Trek was kind of new to him. Generally being a fan of the material is a good thing. That being said, I'm not sure his 'clean and quick' style suits Star Wars. I will reserve final judgement til I see something.

• Toph80

Jan 24th 2013, 23:56

Well I will admit as a die hard Star Wars, I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of new Star Wars films when they announced it. But after seein what I have of his work, so far I think it may actually be good for the series, add a new way of looking at it all (expect some of the self professed know it alls to slaughter me for saying that). I think we should just leave the guy to it before we all start slating him. I mean he has shown his sci-fi credentials, esp with his reboot of Trek and I for one (and i am a die hard trek fan) very much enjoyed it. Just because he has worked on one who's to say he can't work on the other??? Think of this guys it could have been worse....they could have Michael "lets destroy every childhood memory" Bay as director.

• garymakin69etc

Jan 25th 2013, 0:13

This is exciting news, but I kind of feel sorry for all the Abrams haters, and the Star Wars fans who don't like Star Trek - their brains are going to explode with nerd rage. I hope JJ still directs Star Trek 3 though.

• dangoodfellow

Jan 25th 2013, 0:37

i really hope this is true. one of the things i enjoyed about his trek movie was how it hit all the beats that made me love star wars that lucas missed with the prequels. super 8 showed he can work in an already established style, and he's been consitantly clever and high quality wth his direction, marrying emotive charaterisation with real edge of the seat tension and jaw dropping spectacle. not my favourite director, but a good choice for the next generation of star wars(no pun intended)

• ilikescifi

Jan 25th 2013, 1:10

he is good but is the pool of qualified directors really that small that they need the director of Star Trek to do Star Wars? It's like Stephanie Meyer writing a Harry Potter book

• conradlloyd

Jan 25th 2013, 2:08

This is 100% accurate. I have a friend who works at Paramount & they say the film is already well into pre-production.

• TheCantilope

Jan 25th 2013, 2:17

Honestly, I loved the 2009 Star Trek film and after seeing the 9 minute preview for Star Trek Into Darkness, I must say I loved that too. I think it's great that J.J. has finally stepped up to the plate to take this tremendous task where no man has gone before...however, don't you think it's a little too much? The fates of the two biggest science fiction TV Shows/Films in the hands of one man/nerd. At least he's proven that he knows what he's doing. I'm definitely looking forward to the laser flares and whatnot, but all I can say for sure is that 2015 cannot come any faster!

• AlfredsDream098

Jan 25th 2013, 7:26

Abrams definetly gives my so much hop and I'm very excited that he's doing this. But in the meantime it feels so wrong as well. Whilst I'm very excited and glad the franchise is in good hands again you can[t help but feel strange that the man who directed Trek will direct Wars. But then that's the reason he got the gig. Anyway very excited, sure this will turn out excellent, could be *touch wood* the best star wars ever.

• Hotspur1882

Jan 25th 2013, 9:07

After my first seeing of Star Trek (2009), my immediate thought was, "This is how the Star Wars prequels should have been". The job JJ Abrams done was amazing and Into Darkness is going to be huge. I great piece of story telling that created a new generation of Trekkies (or Trekkers or whatever they go by) while satisfying the expectations and desires of the previous generation. And no doubt, if this story is true, Disney are looking him to replicate the same for the Star Wars Franchise, specifically to win back the faith of the older generation of SW fans, those raised on the original trilogy, the George Lucas disregarded with a weak prequel trilogy and even weaker re-imagining's of some of the original trilogies more classic moments. I am genuinely excited, but will be interesting to see if this is true. I am certain Abrams has a contractual obligation to Paramount in directing projects for them over a number of movies or years, can't remember which ....

• mattburgess

Jan 25th 2013, 10:16

Star Trek has nothing to do with it. So he directed Trek, and now he'll direct Wars, who cares? Who on Earth should that be a hot topic? You know, he also directed Mission Impossible 3..... Hmm, nobody seems to care. God, people love to get worked up over absolutely nothing.

• mattburgess

Jan 25th 2013, 10:16

*why, not who.

• pdacoakley

Jan 25th 2013, 10:21

I would love it if he took the new film back to the original trilogies 'used future/retro' look instead of the 'brand new shiny look how futuristic everything is' look of the prequels oh yeah and try and keep the lens flares to a minimum JJ ;)

• alexr

Jan 25th 2013, 11:18

But will he keep the scene transitions the same? I for one hated the wipes and bleeds that Lucas depended on way too much in the prequels (too many scene changes in too quick succession). I wonder if he will stay on as a producer for the future Star Trek movies, and then continue with Star Wars for the next trilogy (either as director or as producer or creative consultant). I would like to see Joss Whedon tackle a SW movie once his Marvel responsibilities are completed. Maybe give him a run at Episode VIII and/or IX...

• willmccabe

Jan 25th 2013, 12:25

well it's on IMDB, so it must be true! crazy. there's hope for star wars yet...

• spid2411

Jan 25th 2013, 12:25

This is probably the right call if true - he makes films in a very similar style to the blockbusters of the 70's and 80's (Star Trek and Mission Impossible 3 perfect examples). Still haven't forgiven him for Super 8 though - best teaser trailer for years with a tone that implied mini Cloverfield attacking small town America. The reality? The Goonies meets ET and one of the most forgettable and bland looking creatures ever put on screen.

• FBMHobbs

Jan 25th 2013, 15:30

does anyone give a s**t about star wars anymore? sorry, but Lucas created a defining moment of my youth...then preceeded to rape this cash cow until it became a parody of itself.......damaged goods.....and dont even get me started on the prequels.....three massive sacks of s**t

• acrestare

Jan 25th 2013, 15:37

Come on Totalfilm. Please don't refer to it as "Disney's new trilogy." You make it sounds like a f*****g princess movie is coming out for Christ's sake.

• loveroflostgirl

Jan 25th 2013, 17:30

Speaking as a massive fan of both Trek and Wars (never understood the idea you have to be either one or the other), this is a great piece of news (if it turns out to be true), Roll on 2015 :)

• duckprints

Jan 25th 2013, 18:01

@ FBMHobbs... Um, I'm not sure if you noticed... But when the news broke that there'd be a new Star Wars, EVERYONE was talking about it... My 9 year old son, would gut me like a tauntaun if it meant he could get a new Star Wars! I'm sorry you've become disillusioned!... but most of the rest of the world... well... we LOVE us some Star wars!... The Force will be with us.......Always!.... ok that was cheesy.. but you get the point :P

Jan 26th 2013, 2:57

I am now hearing J.J will only produce the Star Trek after Into Darkness ;-(

• alexr

Jan 29th 2013, 15:13

@Ali1748 Star Trek After Eight?

• socialcareer

Jan 31st 2013, 11:52

Some people says its unbelievable , some who earned says its a wonderful opportunity to earn about $5500 in 1 month ...on website/internet, did you read the site http://2.gp/qmQm