Jack Reacher sequel moving forward with Tom Cruise

Will adapt 2013 novel Never Go Back

Despite some lukewarm reviews and a moderate box-office take, Paramount looks to be moving forward with a sequel to 2012 action thriller Jack Reacher.

An indifferent domestic response had looked to have spelled curtains for the franchise, but with the global take creeping up to $218m, the studio has clearly thought twice before wielding the axe on this one.

Deadline reports that Paramount and leading man Tom Cruise are now looking to fast-track a sequel, drawing on Lee Child’s 2013 novel Never Go Back as the source material for the plot.

The story sees Reacher return to his old military base with a view to taking a former love out to dinner. Sadly for him, she’s just been arrested, and pleasure turns to business as Jack finds himself compelled to investigate...

Cruise is keen for original director Christopher McQuarrie to return for round two, and is currently exploring options that would allow him to work on both this and Mission: Impossible 5, currently slated to arrive in December 2015.

Would you go and see another Reacher film? Tell us, below!

Comments

• 2Dglasses

Dec 10th 2013, 11:15

Good title, plot sounds doable, please dont basically ruin it like last time and show jai courtney shoot up the place and then the rest of the good guys trying to pin it on someone totally different while only Tom Cruise sees the truth. We get it-he's awesome, but in part 1 he was basically playing God, all seeing, all knowing, and invincible to the point where even a crowd of strangers hid him from the police because...why again? it was a 100 minute advert for Tom Cruise (and 2nd/3rd billing for Rosamund Pikes rather too low-cut tops)

• QuietLife

Dec 10th 2013, 11:33

There was nothing wrong at all with Rosamund Pike's clothing! :P

Dec 10th 2013, 12:02

It has gotten to the point where Tom Cruise plays Tom Cruise in everything.

• illkillyoulast

Dec 10th 2013, 12:51

do you think i'm a hero? i am not a hero, and if you're smart, that scares you.

• TheShamrock

Dec 10th 2013, 12:53

I concur EndOfDays, Had no pre-film thoughts as knew nothing about the books so I enjoyed the film and welcome more.

Dec 10th 2013, 13:24

Sounds good to me. I also enjoyed the first outing.

• stinkfoot

Dec 10th 2013, 15:19

Well I'm a massive fan of the books and have been since the beginning and guess what...I loved the film. I do see the film(s) as separate entities to the novels so I really don't have a problem re: Cruise as Reacher. As Child said before the first one came out, it's about attitude not physical bulk. So yes, I would love to see a sequel.

• mattburgess

Dec 10th 2013, 15:51

@2Dglasses - To be fair, that is exactly how Jack Reacher is written in the books: all seeing, all knowing, and invincible. I found it makes them very hard to read, because I can't sympathise with the character at all. I'm currently reading The Enemy, in which one line says "Reacher set his mental alarm clock for 7.00am", and the next paragraph reads "Reacher woke up at exactly 7.00." Gimme a break. But I really enjoyed the film, and would welcome another (or, dare I say, a series of made-for-tv films, like Wallander!)

• 2Dglasses

Dec 10th 2013, 21:37

@mattburgess- fair enough, '' i aint got time to read''.... but it just rather destroys any sense of danger. At least bond gets captured every so often. I mean in the first film he finds the traitor literally by realising that someone spotted something he didnt. Its like watching a boxing film where a klitschko has to dramatically win a boxing tournament full of blind 8-year olds.

• chibik

Dec 11th 2013, 5:40

As long as we get a good MI5, I don't mind this.

• TheEnigma

Dec 11th 2013, 13:54

Didn't care to watch the first one for ages because of the sub-standard marketing and accompanying trailers.. Seemed like the studio had conceded it wasn't goin' to be a success so they just put it out without much fanfare.. After finally getting around to it I was pleasantly surprised, and what a cool character..! In hindsight I felt they dropped the ball with the preceding trailers, they didn't spark the correct interest or give the subtle hints about Reacher's character/persona that made it a joy to watch..!

• ashlaglk698

Dec 12th 2013, 20:02

as Chris said I am startled that any body can get paid $5220 in a few weeks on the internet. find out here Bank70.COℳ

• firthfred

Jan 10th 2014, 1:34

If you have not taken the time or made the effort to read Lee Childs' series of books, or even maybe just one book simply don't comment on how good the film was. Tom Cruise is an exceptional actor and deserves kudos for his works...just not as Jack Reacher. Lee Childs is a wonderful writer and Tom doesn't do him justice if for no other reason than his stature.