James Cameron confirms releases for Avatar 2, 3 and 4

And announces a whole host of new co-writers

We recently learned that James Cameron had hired Josh Friedman to help work on the script for Avatar 2, an announcement that turned out to only be a fraction of the story, with Cameron now announcing new plans for Avatar 3 and 4!

It turns out that Cameron has enlisted a whole new batch of screenwriters to assist him with the screenplays for the sequels, which will stretch to include a fourth film.

Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver have now been brought on board alongside Shane Salerno to work on Avatar 3 and 4, the latter of which had previously been suggested to be a prequel.

“Building upon the world we created with Avatar has been a rare and incredibly rewarding experience," said Cameron.

"In writing the new films, I’ve come to realise that Avatar’s world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated. It became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen."

"And to help me continue to expand this universe, I’m pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh - all writers I’ve long admired -­ to join me in completing the films' screenplays."

Avatar 2 is now expected to arrive in December 2016, with Avatar 3 coming a year later, and a fourth film the year after that.

Are you interested in three more Avatar films? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Aug 2nd 2013, 7:24

I usually go against the grain and defend Avatar, but as excited as I am to see this "rich" world that Cameron has created, I'd prefer to see something other than Avatar sequels from him in the next decade! Hopefully part of the reason he's involved these other writers is so that he has more time to work on other stuff as well. Hopefully...

• Gindalf0492

Aug 2nd 2013, 7:42

Its a bit risky, I know the first 1 got over $1bill back but it was mainly down to the build up from all news or technologies programs about the 3D but I didnt think the film was worth 5* Id give it 3*. I found it a little boring and long, until the battle scenes at the end. I wont go and see a sequel to this

• georgeWW

Aug 2nd 2013, 10:46

I guess we won't be making Battle Angel anymore then ...or not for another 5+ years anyway. I loved Avatar but 4 films is excessive I would rather he just did two back to back and then moved on to Battle Angel or something else

Aug 2nd 2013, 12:03

I love Avatar but Cameron is taking the p**s now.

• revan1138

Aug 2nd 2013, 12:25

first one looked good but was very dull.but 3 more films when cameron could jump in on the terminator franchise and save it.

• smellyhands

Aug 2nd 2013, 13:47

Money money money money moneeeeey.

• chibik

Aug 2nd 2013, 14:39

@smellyhands: Yet it's not as though JC needs Avatar to make those big dollars.

• FilmBuff94

Aug 2nd 2013, 17:13

Avatar was all about the 3D, the plot was the same old from Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas (which I'm sure everyone has pointed out already) and everyone is getting sick of 3D now so I don't think the sequels will make as much as the first.

Aug 2nd 2013, 18:56

I actually don't think James is doing it for money, he probably believes Pandora has a rich world to explore.

• Denzil

Aug 3rd 2013, 5:53

Avatar without the 3D was not very good, a cheesy children's show that would never have made anywhere near to a billion without the effects and Cameron's name attached. It was the sort of thing I would expect to see amusing small kids on Saturday morning tv.

• ilikescifi

Aug 3rd 2013, 13:33

Cameron makes contemporary versions of fables using popular archetypes. Just accept the fact and try to enjoy. I think his type of pro feminist / eco blockbuster is the perfect antidote to the films that Michael Bay's doodle makes. I'm glad the screenplays are getting some helping hands tho, Avatar was pretty formulaic

• ilikescifi

Aug 3rd 2013, 13:41

hey awesome point @revan1138 i could handle more Cameron terminators too

• spid2411

Aug 3rd 2013, 14:33

Avatar was bollocks - the 3D was cool but after you got used to that the film itself was dire. It was a Mills & Boon set in space so that sci-fi people would go see it but it would make most of its money from the reality TV crowd who would never go see proper sci-fi (which this wasn't). And Cameron knows this too - he is a fan of proper sci-fi but knows to make lots of money he needs to pander to lots of dullards. Also, the script is about the evils of technology and how it crushes the indigenous race and destroys nature...yet the whole point of the movie itself was to marvel at the new technology used to make it i.e. the state of the art 3D. So which is it? Technology good or bad James? Or does it not matter a f**k as long as it makes you loads of cash?

Aug 3rd 2013, 16:50

People are also forgetting the last two times Cameron made sequels he gave us masterpieces in T2 and Aliens.

• chibik

Aug 5th 2013, 6:06

@Ali1748: This is true. Let's hope he hasn't lost his golden touch, then!

• Viewster4ever

Sep 23rd 2013, 8:22

Avatar was based on a great idea of contrasting ruining the nature and preserving it, but most people agree it was a very long one, which makes the point of producing sequels questionable. To make a long story even more lengthy? Boring. I think it would be nice to bring the action back to Earth, if anyone wishes the story to be continued. Besides, instead of getting so many human beings depressed over the beauty of Pandora and our world looking gray and miserable, it would be great to show us that the Earth is just as beautiful as Pandora. We have so many natural wonders, but few people are willing to search for documentary films that prove it, getting frustrated over the non-existing Pandora nature's beauty that's purely graphic. I wouldn't have that idea, of course, if I didn't come across some great documentaries, but what are the chances others will take the time and effort to do something like this? If Cameron featured the beauty of Earth in his sequels, millions would understand it.

• sarahbetts

Jan 24th 2014, 16:36

I absolutely loved the first Avatar, I've watched it about 6 times and could watch it all over again. I am excited about the sequels but I'm worried that they will end up being less entertaining as a lot of sequels of movies do... But maybe they will be movies that will fit under that category of sequels which are actually good (like the Alien sequels, The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.) Its a beautiful story and will help to influence peoples opinions on deforestation and how we look at the world that we are modernizing and so far so good, I've got my hopes up.

• kaylabennett

Jan 27th 2014, 11:07

i cant wait until the next avatars come out the first one it was amazing grate job on it all cant wait to see the next 3 very will done