James Cameron gives update on Avatar sequels

“I’m living in Pandora right now”

James Cameron is currently hard at work on bringing the Avatar sequels to life, but has taken time out to give a brief update on how things are progressing in Pandora.

“I'm working on Avatar 2 and Avatar 3,” says Cameron to Play Goes Strong. “I was talking the other day with Peter Jackson and said, 'You had it easy dude. You had the books when you did the second and third Lord Of The Rings. I have to create my own books in my head and extract a script from it.

“I'm deep into it and I'm living in Pandora right now. There is that start up torque where you feel it's coming to you. Then you build up momentum. That's when it gets fun. The characters talk and it's writing itself. I'm almost there right now. It's building fast.”

As for whether he feels any pressure over following up such a staggering success as Avatar, the director is predictably confident. “Pressure? No,” he replies. “It's a little daunting because sequels are always tricky. You have to be surprising and stay ahead of audience anticipation.

“At the same time, you have to massage their feet with things that they know and love about the first film. I've walked that line in the past, so I'm not too worried about it. At the same time, I definitely have to deliver the goods.”

Avatar 2 doesn't currently have a release date, but it's tentatively expected to open in 2015.

What are you hoping to see from the sequels? Tell us, below!

Comments

• SiMan

Mar 18th 2013, 13:36

Since Avatar's initial release (and probably the months leading up to it) any story on TF relating to Avatar has carried the above image of Cameron and Worthington - are you guys not allowed to show any other image from that movie?

• michaelroberts

Mar 18th 2013, 16:07

“I was talking the other day with Peter Jackson and said, 'You had it easy dude. You had the books when you did the second and third Lord Of The Rings." I agree Mr. Cameron... But you also had the movie Ferngully to go by...

Mar 18th 2013, 16:45

2015 is going to be such a stacked year for blockbusters.

• FBJRider

Mar 18th 2013, 17:58

Peter Jackson may have had a few books to go off but Cameron had Pocohantas, Ferngully, Dances with Wolves etc. not to mention over a century's worth of Sci-Fi clichés from things such as John Carter of Mars and Star Wars to rip off of. If there was even an ounce of creativity, originality or imagination in Avatar I'd say it was hard work for him but he didn't even try to hide the fact he was making something we've seen a hundred times before but this time in 3D.

• FBALeal

Mar 18th 2013, 18:19

The 2015 will be a busy indeed. I'm still waiting to hear news about Jaws 19 though. That's the one I want to see!

Mar 18th 2013, 21:21

Will it take Terminator Muppet Babies, for him to get his butt back Skynet?

• FBPVarga

Mar 18th 2013, 22:55

Looking forward to it. Hopefully he wont forcefully shove that environmentalism s**t down our throats so much this time.

• ilikescifi

Mar 19th 2013, 13:02

awesome. HFR please.

• hannahfontana

Mar 21st 2013, 0:35

How about a Doctor Who/Terminator crossover movie? Hugh Laurie as The Doctor.

• conjugalburns

Mar 21st 2013, 1:37

Why would Hugh Laurie be The Doctor? Instead of the Matt Smith, the person currently portraying The Doctor? I've never understood why some people are so keen on changing the actor. If Matt Smith is up for the movie, he really should be the first and foremost choice. Changing The Doctor's face (right now) for no reason would just feel wrong.

• candiehayes

May 27th 2013, 3:59

How about Jake Sulley and Neytiri have kids in one of the next 2 movies? It would be so awesome and the fans including myself would love it!!!! :) Thank YOU for reading and considering my thoughts, Candie Avatar Fan

• petertoth

Jun 14th 2013, 17:13

Hoping from the next part the same freshness, anticorporatism and tight script. Showing more of the filozofical depth of the navi's. Teach us mr Cameron, be progressive, so we can feel a stronger desire to wake up for a higher reality.!