James Cameron talks Avatar sequels

“I’m in the Avatar business… that’s it”

James Cameron has given an update on the potential sequels to box-office juggernaut Avatar, and not only is he excited to be making them, the director is now claiming that they are the only films he will work on from here on in.

“Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm,” said Cameron. “So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m making Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4.”

Apparently, Cameron believes that the universe he created for the first film will give him adequate scope to scratch any creative itch that should come to him.

“I’m not interested in taking scripts,” he continued. “And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way.”

That said, Cameron did leave himself a little bit of wriggle room by saying he’s still interested in making documentaries. When it comes to dramatic pieces however, it sounds as if it’s Na’vi or not at all…

What do you think of Cameron's career plans? Tell us, below...

Comments

• Mattsimus

May 7th 2012, 8:22

Well I guess this is good news but ive always hoped for the return of his substantial involvment with the Terminator franchise!....................especially since it has one of the best movie mythologies out there XMX

• SiMan

May 7th 2012, 11:15

Agree, i always hoped he'd returned to show us the future war of the Terminator films - wonder what he makes of 3 & 4, seeing as how the terminator universe was his creation.

• ilikescifi

May 7th 2012, 12:34

Im glad. Even tho it wasn't the best film I'd ever seen, it had a consistent and credible universe. All of the fantasy elements were backed up by science. also after seeing dozens of 3D films since, I really appreciate it's depth and sense of space; ie not flat, cold and pointless (pardon the pun) like Tron Legacy. I wonder what Peter jackson 3D will look like!

May 7th 2012, 16:29

They'll stop at a trilogy, by then the audiences will have moved on.

• LongDown

May 8th 2012, 23:08

UPDATE * * * * * * BATTLE ANGEL ALITA * * * * "On May 8th, 2012, Cameron responded to an inquiry by Harry Knowles of Aintitcool.com; after asking if he was done with BAA, Cameron stated "No. I still love that project. But Battle Angel is not going to happen for a few years"

• LongDown

May 8th 2012, 23:27

The thing that Terminator 2 a classic was *because* it ended the story once and for all. It wasn't playing for a sequel. Aliens was a classic because its premise felt so unforced as a sequel to Alien. The plots were perfect, and allowed you to believe a happy ENDING, rather than leave you waiting for the next instalment. * * * * *

• LongDown

May 8th 2012, 23:37

Abyss, T2 and Aliens also rocked because all the sets felt, and usually were, real. The loading bay of the Sulaco with the loaders clunked and echoed like it should- CGI has yet to catch up. Strong female characters, the futility of machismo (Arnie's T800 is only aping macho attitudes to comic effect, the colonial marines fall apart and get their 'asses kicked', the Navy Seal in Abyss can't handle the stress) and some serious action helped, too.

• ilikescifi

May 9th 2012, 14:21

****I thought Tron Legacy was an awesome film-I can't wait for more Tron sequels but I have re watched it in 3D like 10 times and the 3D depth is very shallow compared to other 3d films. They played it a bit too safe in that respect. And I think James Cameron DOES want to make an Abyss sequel. Didn't he say Avatar 2 would be called a completely different name and it might be set underwater....? He owns the rights to potentially one of the best two-film tie-ins EVER. i also agree with @ali1748