James Cameron talks writing the Avatar sequels

“My job is take the audience on a journey”

james cameron

Director James Cameron has talked about how he’s approaching the scripts for Avatar 2 and 3, revealing he’s not forming them as a proper trilogy.

“We’re shooting two films back-to-back,” he tells Fox News, “so I’m writing two scripts, not one, which will complete a free-film story arc.

“Not really a trilogy, but just an overall character arc so I’m pretty excited about that.”

The filmmaker’s first Avatar film opened in December 2009 and went on to become the highest grossing film ever made – even trumping Cameron’s own Titanic.

The director went on to add that he can handle the pressures of crafting a sequel to such a successful movie as he’s already done it before.

“There’s always an expectation,” he says. “I had to deal with that after The Terminator back in 1984. All of a sudden I had a big hit movie and it was, ‘What are you doing next?’

“I don’t think about that stuff, about standing on a red carpet. It has its own life, really. The characters have their own lives.”

Avatar 2 opens December 2014, while Avatar 3 opens December 2015.

Excited for the Avatar sequels? Or not that fussed? Talk to us below...

Comments

• writerdave87

Jun 22nd 2011, 13:22

'James Cameron... if you are reading this' cracked me up.... I'm sure he's racing to change his plans as we speak...

• SiMan

Jun 22nd 2011, 13:39

Just curious; 'Highest Grossing film', does this go by money earned or actual ticket sales. If its money earned, then does it account for the fact the vast majority of people saw the film in 3-D and therefore paid a little bit more. Is it possible Avatar earned more money, but less people saw it than went to watch Titanic? Would also love to know Cameron's thoughts on the terminator franchise and how the direction those films have gone. Wonder if he ever had other stories planned out (although, i think he originally planned on having the second film end 'properly' and the future war was averted)

• mystra

Jun 22nd 2011, 14:30

lol spot on writerdave87... i love people who say they couldn't give a c**p about a film the story is about - but then comment about it... dalidab1982 - I'M SURE HE'S READING IT RIGHT NOW AND THINKING"OH MY GOD THIS GUY IS SO RIGHT!" but i'm looking forward to the sequels, i really enjoyed Avatar

• writerdave87

Jun 22nd 2011, 14:44

You obviously missed Dalidab's Tom Cruise copy and paste filmography adventure from the other day- considering he doesn't care about so much, he doesn't half go to a lot of effort talking about it.

• Porkchopexpress

Jun 22nd 2011, 16:30

Lulz at the prospect of 'Abyss 2' , "It's worse than we thought Admiral that big space ship that came out of the bottom of the sea, well the Chinese just sunk it again!"..."Fetch me Virgil Brigman and Mary Elizabeth Anthony Ministrone!". Oh SherbertDibDab82, you really are on crack, love it.

• murphy

Jun 22nd 2011, 16:43

“But my job is take the audience on a journey and entertain them. The second I am sitting down writing, I just go to Pandora." Well do me a favour and stay in pandora and don't make the sequels to that overhyped turd of a film please,thanks.

Jun 22nd 2011, 17:55

Screw you guys, seeing Avatar in the IMAX was a magical experience.

Jun 23rd 2011, 17:29

doe ??

• writerdave87

Jun 23rd 2011, 20:50

Dalidab's spelling is like his taste in films and actors- completely random and incomprehensible.

• JohnJDuffy

Jun 24th 2011, 12:40

I give 3D 18 months

• MikeyRix

Jun 24th 2011, 14:59

Hmmmmm...Should be interesting to see where the other two go exactly. Though why sequels are necessary, I'll never know...

• bazman05

Jun 25th 2011, 1:17

I thought the first Avatar was a decent film but the 3D (gimmick) did not impress me, and it was a story well told but was done so many times before. So I don't care if he makes an Avatar 2 & 3. Take your time Jim, no rush whatsoever.