James Gunn confirmed to direct and rewrite Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel gets its man

It was thought to have been a done deal for a little while now, but Marvel has officially unveiled James Gunn as its director for Guardians Of The Galaxy, and has revealed that he'll rewrite the script to boot.

A script had already been written by Chris McCoy and Nicole Perlman, but Gunn has been given carte blanche to do away with that and write his own, as was the case with Joss Whedon on The Avengers.

Gunn is understandably excited about the project, and released an official statement via his Facebook page.

"For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy," said Gunn. "Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians Of The Galaxy."

"As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited.

"I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!"

Guardians Of The Galaxy opens in the US on 1 August 2014.

Is Gunn the right man for the job? Tell us, below!

Comments

• Lampost

Sep 19th 2012, 12:13

I was excited for this but I'm not a fan of James Gunn at all... i mean, he wrote those fricking awful Scooby Doo movies! But if Marvel/Joss Whedon sees something good in him than I'm sure I might be able to too. Fingers crossed this isn't a boring origins movie though, I think we've all had more than enough of those in the last few years. P.S: Is rac**n seriously censored?

• Lampost

Sep 19th 2012, 12:16

Oh it is... can anyone tell me why? I've just googled it but all the results are related to the animal. Am I missing something here?

• Lampost

Sep 19th 2012, 12:17

Oh it is... am I missing something here? Why is it censored?

• smellyhands

Sep 19th 2012, 13:03

@Lampost and endofdays-- look up the word c**n (without the fullstops obviously) and you will find its a derogatory term for a black person.

• smellyhands

Sep 19th 2012, 13:06

Ok lets test this again. Clearly TotalFilms censoring tool is not as basic as I thought it was. C00N. Thats probably censored.

• smellyhands

Sep 19th 2012, 13:08

Sorry TotalFilm but if somebody still wants to be racist or foul mouthed, I think I found their opening.

Sep 19th 2012, 14:06

But they don't censor their own articles. Are we to believe TF are full of foul-mouthed racists? LOL (just joking TF, seriously!)

Sep 19th 2012, 19:45

I am intrigued by this series.

• thedanieljson

Sep 20th 2012, 16:13

I like James Gunn, he's got a good sense of humour - more adult humour though I think, hence why things like Super and Slither work very well (some would disagree about Super maybe but I thought it was great). Worried about this as it sounds as if it's more likely to head in Scooby Doo direction, this broadly being a family film.