James Gunn talks Guardians Of The Galaxy

“I’ve done a lot of studying with real raccoons”

With the casting for Guardians Of The Galaxy beginning to come together, director James Gunn has been talking about what we can expect from the project, and how it fits in with the rest of the Marvel universe.

“In terms of a lot of stuff we’re very much like The Avengers, where it’s a very big, huge movie,” says Gunn in an interview with HeyUGuys. “It’s different because it’s cosmic, it’s in outer space, it’s very colourful.

“We have a whole history of science fiction behind us that we’re dealing with, and borrowing from, and also fighting with to create something unique. But at the same time there’s a lot of stuff it has in common with The Avengers.”

Indeed, when it came to casting, Gunn had one eye on The Avengers in terms of how he wanted to populate his movie…

“I was very specific that I wanted it to be somebody really extraordinary,” he says of Chris Pratt’s Star-Lord. “I really had Robert Downey Jr. in mind a lot. You had this guy who came in and he inhabited Tony Stark, when you first saw Tony Stark he blew your mind, you couldn’t believe what you were seeing.

“We saw a lot of good performances, but it wasn’t until Chris came in and he read and I was like, ‘oh my God’, this guy has his own, very particular, amazing take on the character that blew my mind, blew me away. Then I thought, this is the first guy I could see sharing the screen with Robert Downey Jr. and giving him a run for his money.”

And what of Rocket Raccoon? Everyone’s favourite pint-sized sidekick has yet to be cast, but Gunn has been doing his homework with regards to getting his look right.

“I’ve done a lot of studying with real raccoons, and we had real raccoons come in. We’ve done photography with them, I’ve played with racoons, and fed racoons, and dealt a lot with real raccoons to get some of the behaviour down.

“It’s really, really important to me that Rocket Raccoon, who is the heart of the movie, is not a cartoon character, it’s not Bugs Bunny in the middle of The Avengers, it’s a real, little, somewhat mangled beast that’s alone. There’s no one else in the universe quite like him, he’s been created by these guys to be a mean-ass fighting machine.”

We can’t wait to see what they come up with. Guardians Of The Galaxy will open in the UK on 1 August 2014.

What do you think of Gunn's plans? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Apr 19th 2013, 7:21

My hype filter notwithstanding, this is starting to sound very promising.

• TwoBobRuss

Apr 19th 2013, 7:49

I agree

• marvelboy

Apr 19th 2013, 9:10

I agree it sounds promising - I still think this will be a hit with the fans, and a flop with the general public - but prove will be in the pudding, I guess.

• tommclaughlin11

Apr 19th 2013, 9:53

"Then I thought, this is the first guy I could see sharing the screen with Robert Downey Jr. and giving him a run for his money.” So...Iron Man in Guardians of the Galaxy, then?

• chibik

Apr 19th 2013, 10:04

@tommclaughlin11: I rather think he was alluding to the possibility of the Guardians in The Avengers 2.

• trist808

Apr 19th 2013, 10:58

@chibik - possibly not. At the moment in the comics Iron Man is a member of the Guardians and is out in space with them. And the whole concept of Marvel's recent mini-relaunch (Marvel NOW!) was to tie the Movie-verse and comic book world closer together ... I would not be surprised if at some point over the next few weeks Downey Jnr is annouced as part of the cast in GOTG. It would be a shrewd move, cinema audiences will be more inclined to go see the GOTG film with Downey in it. I still think GOTG could be Marvel's Movie Banana-Skin though, as much as I will enjoy it (as a comic book fan and a big GOTG fan) regular multiplex-botherers may not take too kindly to it ... Green Lantern flashbacks anyone? (shudder) :-/

• marvelboy

Apr 19th 2013, 11:50

the thing is as well, with this being part of the Avengers world, it has to be family friendly. I don't know to much about GOTG but I do see working better for a more mature audience. in regard to Ironman - yes currently he's in the comic team, and there are rumors that Post-credit from Ironman 3 will see him enter space, I guess this time next week we will know for sure, I personally don't want GOTG to be Ironman '4'

• trist808

Apr 19th 2013, 12:57

Ha, well, I already know what's post-credits on IM3, but will not reveal it here :) As for GOTG being "Iron Man 4" I very much doubt that. Just like in The Avengers, Tony would be part of the team, not the centre of it. And if Thanos is the big bad setting up Avengers 2, it makes sense to have one of the Avengers there to see what he's capable of and then returning to Earth to warn Fury and get the others together to stop Thanos ... of course none of this is set in stone, it's just my thoughts, if they go the comics route and even put Iron Man in the film.

Apr 19th 2013, 17:58

Chris Pratt is hilarious in Parks and Recreations but to pull off a performance like Downey has done with Stark is a big ask.