James McAvoy talks X-Men: First Class sequel ideas

Exclusive: “I’d be up for it”

Total Film recently sat down with the new Professor X, James McAvoy, and naturally we grilled him about the potential of a sequel to X-Men: First Class.

When we asked him if he’d be up for a follow up to Matthew Vaughn’s mutant prequel, McAvoy told us, “I’d be up for it. But the truth is I’m contractually obliged to be up for it because they made us all sign multiple picture deals!”

But does he have any idea where the story will go, following on from the ending of First Class?

“I’ve spoken to Matthew [Vaughn] about ideas, but I can’t tell you what they are because they may or may not be the story. One thing I liked about our one was that it was different from the other three films where the X-Men are the good guys, Wolverine’s figuring out who he is and Magneto is the bad guy.

“This was a completely different thing. Magneto wasn’t a bad guy, we were friends. We’re now set up to go back to the way the other movies are, so we’ve got to try to be cleverer than that.”

For more from James McAvoy, get the new issue of Total Film Magazine, which hits newsstands on Thursday 27 October 2011!

To subscribe to Total Film Magazine, click here.

You can now read Total Film magazine on iPhone and iPad via Apple Newsstand!

To find it on the UK App Store, click here. To find it on the US App Store, click here.

Are you keen for a Second Class? You know where to comment…

Comments

• DirkD13

Oct 24th 2011, 13:10

I hope the new issue is out on the 27th Octocer otherwise it's a bloody long wait!

Oct 24th 2011, 19:18

I'd much rather just have a Magneto spin off with Fassenbender.

Oct 24th 2011, 22:35

Well it would be more welcome than Wanted 2. Bending bullet trajectories? Looms that give assignments? Even for a comic book thats a barrel of shiiite!

• Indianabones

Oct 24th 2011, 23:49

I really would have liked them to stick with the Magneto/Xavier friendship for a few more sequels, build it up and smash it to get some real effect, they had good chemistry and maybe by the third film or even the 2nd one have them as enemies

• Indianabones

Oct 24th 2011, 23:49

and I mean by the end of the 2nd film that they become enemies ;)

• TheEnigma

Oct 25th 2011, 2:47

@Indianabones, i agree.. They (tha Studio's) alwayz seem like they're tryin' 2 fit so much n2 a Movie 2 make sure it recoups well at tha Boxoffice instead of showcasing tha amazin' depth of tha source material...

• FBKSchlichter

Nov 6th 2011, 18:56

Sadly, they've already blown Stryker as a villain in the main franchise, because the Civil Rights movement as a backdrop for the God Loves, Man Kills storyline would be amazing. Perhaps they should start developing Mr. Sinister as a villain for the First Class sequels, use him to lead into Apocalypse in X4.