Jamie Foxx talks working with Quentin Tarantino on Django Unchained

Sings his director’s praises

Quentin Tarantino doesn’t generally inspire anything other than praise from the actors he works with, and having thoroughly enjoyed himself on the set of Django Unchained, it sounds as though Jamie Foxx is on the same page as so many of his predecessors.

“You can’t look at Pulp Fiction,” begins Foxx, “and see those performances by Samuel Jackson and John Travolta, and not go, ‘Man, if I could just work with that dude and say those types of words.’ He’s a wordsmith.”

“Quentin was like, ‘Don’t come in here, Jamie Foxx-ing it. Come in here and really be the character.’ I thought that was fantastic for a person to take you back to school and really get to work… You grow when you work with directors like that.”

Meanwhile, Foxx is keen to reassure audiences that Django Unchained won’t pull any punches when it comes to dealing with the thorny issue of slavery.

“With Django Unchained, when you’re dealing with slavery, it’s like a gymnastics routine with the highest amount of difficulty,” explains Foxx. “Quentin Tarantino is not going to do a movie that’s just going to lay there and be safe. There’s going to be twists and flips… that was the challenge."

We can hardly wait. Django Unchained opens in the UK on 18 January 2013.

Do you think Django Unchained will be another QT classic? Tell us, below!

Comments

• CaptainCrazy

Sep 25th 2012, 11:23

I'm sold on the movie but NOT on Jamie Foxx. He just looks confused in all the stills and trailers I have seen so far - nowhere near as dangerous or coiled as he should be.

• dancarmody

Sep 25th 2012, 15:50

id of really liked to see the role go to Idris Elba or Michael Kenneth Williams who were previously rumoured. Completely agree with CaptainCrazy, as awesome as this movie looks, not entirely convinced by Jamie Foxx.

• ibealex

Sep 25th 2012, 16:25

Michael K Williams would've been perfect (especially when I imagine him saying the trailer line "I like the way you die, boy"), but whilst I'm not entirely convinced by Foxx, I'm wiling to be won over.

• Scurf

Sep 25th 2012, 17:28

I don't understand why anyone ever doubts that Tarantino's work will be nigh on flawless. I know that I can sit down in the cinema and know for sure I'm going to watch 2 hours (plus) of pure class. Maybe some folks assume he's destined to f**k up eventually, but even his weaker films (Jackie Brown and Death Proof (and the latter works far better amidst the chaos of the full Grindhouse spectacle)) are leaps and bounds ahead of most other directors.

Sep 25th 2012, 18:21

Any time I read Michael K Williams all I hear is " Omar coming "

Sep 25th 2012, 19:08

Presenting Janes Austen's 'Fuq and Muthafuq'