Jason Momoa talks Conan The Barbarian

Exclusive: We sit down with the new Arnie

Jason Momoa has spoken exclusively to Total Film about taking on a role made famous by Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan The Barbarian.

The Hawaiian-born man-mountain is currently best known for roles in Stargate: Atlantis and Game Of Thrones, but that’s set to change this summer.

Momoa gave a suitably dramatic response when we asked him what it has been like playing Conan, telling us: “I should be dead.”

On the tough shoot, he added: “The day I got crushed by a horse was the worst. I stopped that day, went straight to the trailer and started drinking scotch.”

So, was it difficult stepping into Arnie’s sizeable shoes? “I don’t really think it’s filling his shoes. We’re not remaking it – it’s a reboot of the franchise in the vein of Bond or Batman.

Conan The Barbarian opens on 26 August 2011.

For more from Jason Momoa, get the new issue of Total Film Magazine, which hits newsstands on Thursday 9 June!

To subscribe to Total Film Magazine, click here.

Looking forward to seeing Momoa as Conan? Or is Arnie the only Cimmerian warrior for you? Talk to us!

Comments

• Ichi1

Jun 7th 2011, 16:49

I had no desire what-so-ever to see this Conan. And then came Game of Thrones. Momoa's Khal Drogo is the baddest bad a*s on TV since Jack Bauer. And his relationship with Dany is really great. A great part to an amazing story. Now when Conan hits, I'm there. But still, I fear it will suffer in comparison to Game of Thrones and Khal Drogo.

• FBALowe

Jun 7th 2011, 16:59

Yeah, but... Surely the key question is: who would win if Khal Drogo and Conan had a fight with swords?

• writerdave87

Jun 7th 2011, 17:17

I thought Khai Drogo was a bit of a stereotypical average character in an awesome show, but he's massively grown on me (mainly due to a surprisingly subtle performance by Momoa). Hopefully this film won't harm his career, I don't think it looks much good myself but I wish the guy well.

Jun 7th 2011, 20:25

Game Of Thrones is THE best show on tv right now !!!!

• mrblonde

Jun 7th 2011, 21:53

At first, I was slightly unsure of whether or not Momoa was the right person to take over the role of Conan. However, his performance as Khal Drogo in Game Of Thrones has sold me on the idea and I'm now really looking forward to seeing his portrayal of the character. I also agree that Game Of Thrones is the best show on TV right now.

• Ichi1

Jun 7th 2011, 22:10

Are the good folks of the UK able to see Game of Thrones yet? Hope so. It is that good.

• Frankie88

Jun 7th 2011, 22:19

The scene with Drogo proclaims conquering Westeros was awesome. Mamoa was suberp - delivering gibberish lines with such rage and angst that I''ve got as pumped up as those Dorthraki standing around.

• joker16

Jun 7th 2011, 22:26

Game of Thrones is indeed the best show on TV at the moment.

• Gav83

Jun 7th 2011, 22:35

In agreement with everyone here. Had no interest in Conan til' Game of Thrones. He play the character brilliantly and makes all that made-up-gibberish he speaks sounds fierce and believable. I haven't read the books but if I can't get a Jamie Lannister v Ned Stark showdown I want a Jamie v Drogo showdown!

• writerdave87

Jun 8th 2011, 15:20

I don't think Conan's gonna be able to beat Khai Drogo ripping a guy's tongue out with his bare hands though XD

Jun 8th 2011, 16:07

Ichi, we get the episodes a day after they air on HBO.

• lovlid

Jun 11th 2011, 6:32

“With no disrespect to Arnold, I haven’t seen his version yet – I wanted to see mine first!” Or in other words... "Feck off, we're talking about my film.Not some badly acted c**p that looked alright in the eighties" And rightly so. If we were talking about a remake of The Godfather,then you can get away with comparative questioning.But most of Arnies films would have been a lot better with an "actor" in them.

• KittyD

Jun 11th 2011, 20:48

I'm biased because I've been a fan of Momoa since Stargate Atlantis. I agree with everyone above. His portrayal of Khal Drogo is epic - subtle, but commanding and powerful, and I believe the best is yet to come from this big guy, as he's still relatively young. Bring on Conan and the rest of J-Mo's career!!

• kipwinchester

Jun 15th 2011, 17:05

im a fan of momoa but as conan he is the worst choice ever nothing at all like how robert howard descibes him in the books everyone keeps going on about him in game of thrones but drogo is not like conan at all in fact he is very bland and has no depth were as conan has a lot more going for him also this films cgi is terrible and the only good cast choice imo is perlman this will be just like predators but with swords in other words utter rubbish