Jason Statham talks Crank 3 and The Expendables 2

"If there's anyone who can do a good sequel it's Sly Stallone"

While doing the promotional rounds for his latest actioner The Mechanic, Jason Statham spoke to Collider about the possibility of Crank and Expendables sequels.

When asked about the status of a potential Crank 3, Statham said: "It’s a shame the last one didn’t do that well. I think the first one had a little bit more success and usually if you do a sequel, it usually has to in some ways take a little bit more money than the first one."

"It was absolutely nuts, which reflects exactly who those two [directors Neveldine and Taylor] are. I don’t know, whether we’ll do another one... Who knows?"

"Working with those two guys is not like working with anybody else. I mean, they are absolutely mad as hatters."

The subject of a sequel to Sylvester Stallone's testosterone-drenched action team-up The Expendables arose, and the hard-man actor offered the following: "Yes I have heard about a sequel and I’d be the first to say yes to a phone call from Sly."

"I mean, we spoke about it as soon as the movie started to do really well and he says, you know, it would be great to do this again, and if there’s anyone who can do a good sequel it’s Sly Stallone! He’s done a fair amount."

"Yeah, we had a good time. It’s something I’d like to repeat… I'm very positive that it will be going."

So it seems there's no chance of The Stath slowing down on the action man front. The Crank movies were delirious fun (we can't wait to see what directors Neveldine and Taylor will do with the Ghost Rider sequel), and we'd welcome a third part.

The Expendables was far from perfect, but with the team in place (and Bruce Willis, hopefully, on lead villain duties) Stallone should be able to deliver a much more enjoyable follow-up.

Would you rather see Expendables 2 or Crank 3? Comment now!

Comments

• joker16

Jan 16th 2011, 17:27

Total Film sucks, if you weren't able to enjoy The Expendables, you have no business commenting on action films. It was 2 hours of non-stop carnage, and that, my friends, is an action movie. There were no cut away's when some was about to be dismembered. This is not some PG-13 fluff, I'm talking to you Iron Man.

• Chevelle

Jan 16th 2011, 22:11

I just hope Sly decides on some real blood rather than computer generated stuff. It looked awful just like the newish rambo.

• Jeffbiscuits

Jan 16th 2011, 22:44

Real blood?lol

• frdmrngr

Jan 16th 2011, 22:54

Really he should stop being offered movies. Truly, truly dreadful actor

• McSerious

Jan 16th 2011, 23:17

I'm not a big fan of Statham but I thought he was excellent in The Expendables, he did a lot to restore some of the respect I once had for him, I'm desperate for a sequal and I'd be very happy for him to be as prominent in it. And Total Film's treatment of the Expendables was just wrong... I love TF, but I'd honestly be tempted to say if the Expendables was exactly the same but with an unknown cast they'd be giving it the credit it deserves rather than the unfair derision they gave it thus far... Roll on the Expendables 2! And more Dolph please!

• Frankie88

Jan 17th 2011, 13:07

I'm both hands for a sequel only if Sly Stallone doen't direct it. His style is just ... dreadful (no puns)

• Jeffbiscuits

Jan 17th 2011, 13:26

I'm actually more interested in any possible Crank sequel. Statham will probably never find a character as suited to his acting range as Chev Chelios. The first two films were very savvy and completely braindead at the same time and for as pure popcorn entertainment they're perfect.

• TheEnigma

Jan 17th 2011, 17:11

Crank 3.... Yes please.. Expendables 2... Yes.. I think TF doesn't rate the first Expendables because it was an 'absolute waste' of potentially the best action cast ever assembled... I wouldn't blame any one thing for the mess that it turned out to be eg. shallow script, poor character development.. But i would def like to see that cast go around again... Possible inclusions: Van Damme, John Malkovich, Denzel Washington, Karl Urban, Vin Diesel...