Javier Bardem officially signs on to The Dark Tower

Will star in multi-part saga including movies and TV series

Javier Bardem has officially signed on to star as Roland Deschain in Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, surprising literally nobody.

This is no normal casting news however, as the project is planned as an ambitiously huge franchise.

As well as a trilogy of films, the story will continue through three TV miniseries that are planned to follow each film.

The New York Post quotes a source as saying: “Bardem has signed on to the first movie and the miniseries, but the intention is that he will star in all three movies and each of the TV series.

"It's an enormous deal for any actor, but Bardem was always the first choice.”

The Old West-inspired fantasy epic sees "Gunslinger" Deschain on a journey to find the mythical Dark Tower, with the hope of saving civilization.

Production on the first film looks likely to start this September with Howard directing.

The first of the TV series will follow and then the franchise will continue inexorably, into the distant future, seen only by whatever alien race conquers us humans.

Glad that Bardem's locked into the lead role? Will Ron Howard be able to conquer Stephen King's 'unfilmable' books? Share your two cents below...

Comments

• clearwriter

Apr 27th 2011, 20:18

As a Dark Tower lover (sounds a bit dodgy yes) nobody was every going to be perfect for Roland; not even Eastwood for me. However Bardem...I can see that and I'm happy, very happy, with the casting. I still believe though, that Ron Howard will mess it up. I truly hope to be proven wrong.

• unopeneddoor

Apr 27th 2011, 20:40

Not a chance will this be good. The source material horrible. I LOVED the first three books, but after that King became a hack and realized he wasn't good enough to finish the story he started. He just wrote whatever he could think of and wrote an illogical, uninteresting series after that.

• clearwriter

Apr 27th 2011, 20:52

It's all subjective. People will have different reactions to the books. Wizard and Glass is my favourite, whereas I felt Wolves of The Calla was overlong and dragged. The final book was amazing for me. The source material, in my opinion, is stellar and only a hack could mess it up.

• MelvinSchlock

Apr 28th 2011, 0:57

@clearwriter - How can you be so negative after the sterling job Mr Howard did translating Dan Brown's perfect prose to the screen?..........Actually you may be onto something there.

• SteelPanda

Apr 28th 2011, 14:05

Love the books, The Best of Mr. King. I am worry that he only signed for 1 movie and 1 season. Sounds like a wait and see approach by him. If its huge then he can demand more $ which he should get. I'm also worried that this is a NBC run operation which they will F__k it up so bad that Roland's story will not be completed on the big screen

• SiMan

Apr 28th 2011, 14:28

I too am a fan of the books and hope Ron Howard can deliver a worth version of it, i'm just slightly worried that the many different tones within the book wouldn't be translated well by a director like Howard. I also don't see Bardem as Roland - its just his accent that puts me off the thought of him playing the Gunslinger. There's an Arthurian undertone to the Gunlingers and i always thought of Roland being played by an English actor - can't think who though!

• amityisland

May 30th 2011, 16:04

Worried and curious at the same time. Great material- but is there a wide appeal for the non-King fans.. Ron Howard? no no no.. he's hardly an adventurous film maker.. it's going to be SO studio-ised... But stranger things have happended, so let's wait and see.

• acrestare

Jul 8th 2011, 20:13

Looks like Red Ded Redemption mixed with Lord of the Rings.