Jeremy Renner not happy with Hawkeye's presentation

Says his character in The Avengers was not what he signed on for

Amid all the box office success, critical plaudits and general fanboy love, there have hardly been two cross words to rub together where The Avengers is concerned. However, Jeremy Renner is one dissenting voice, having not been happy with how his character came across in the finished film.

"For 90% of the movie, I'm not the character I signed on to play," says Renner, before homing in on the decision to have Hawkeye brainwashed by Loki from the get-go. "It's kind of a vacancy. [He's] not even a bad guy, because there's not really a consciousness to him."

"To take away who that character is and just have him be this robot, essentially, and have him be this minion for evil that Loki uses... I was limited, you know what I mean? I was a terminator in a way. Fun stunts. But is there any sort of emotional content or thought process? No."

To be fair to Renner, he does fall under Loki's spell remarkably early in proceedings, with the character barely having time to establish himself before becoming a pawn in the God of Mischief's game. He also gets next to nothing in the way of backstory, unlike his super-powered chums.

"Is [Hawkeye] working for SHIELD or not?" muses Renner. "There's a lot of unanswered questions, even for me." Unanswered questions that could be answered in a standalone film? Given Renner's attitude to The Avengers, we'd say that possibility is receding...

Do you think Renner was short-changed in The Avengers? Tell us, below!

Comments

• NickyC

Aug 10th 2012, 11:13

That was silly, Jeremy. What if Loki's power over him left a mark and became a major plot point further down the line. You gotta think long-term, dude.

Aug 10th 2012, 11:35

Hawkeye Vs Green Arrow, who would win?

• Firedragon76

Aug 10th 2012, 12:04

And that's the rest of the quote that was apparently too positive to be copied onto this page: There’s a lot of unanswered questions, even for me. And I was OK with that. At least I was still in the movie. And I was glad for that. The closest thing I could really link to was Scarlett [Johansson's] character, Black Widow, because they have a history. And that definitely plays in the movie, I think. And obviously, you can’t go into too much just because there’s so much story to tell, but you definitely get a sense that they’re connected, and that there’s something really, really important that ties them together. And I could try to summarize it, but it can go a lot of places. That excites me, though, that there’s room for other things.

• Senver

Aug 10th 2012, 12:09

Careful Jeremy, you were the least known of The Avengers main cast. just because you are headlining a film don't get too big for your boots.

• Elderlandwurm

Aug 10th 2012, 12:16

Ahh i'm pretty sure Jeremy Renner has starred in at least two relatively large films. 28 Weeks Later (which was a summer tentpole that faired poorly) and the Hurt Locker (which won Best Picture). I get what he's saying, and reading the quote in context it seems less whiny and more of an artist wishing he could have had more to do his art with. Also maybe he's the least known, but right now he has a metric ton of clout, and there are a few Avengers who are lacking in that department at the moment (most notably Mark Ruffalo).

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 10th 2012, 12:47

I really don't get the appeal of archers as superhero characters. None of them are interesting and most of them always miss when they are supposed to be super-level archers which is supposed to be their claim to fame!!

• IHATESNAKES2896

Aug 10th 2012, 13:53

I personally agree with Renner-I think Hawkeye could have been one of the best characters, especially with Renner playing him. Certainly, in the last battle (and a bit at the beginning) he is incredibly "bad-assed" and cool, very impressive. But he gets the least amount of screentime of all the Avengers (considerably less) and very little in the way of a dramatic character arc, unlike the other Avengers. He gets a lot of anger in a ool way, towards Lki, and the hints at a deep relationship with Black Widow, but could have had more. The brief cameo in Thor he had hinted at someone who was both cocky and funny, quite light-hearted. Not much of that in Avengers :(

• Firedragon76

Aug 10th 2012, 14:06

I agree with you IHATESNAKES. Comic Hawkeye is very snarky and Renner delivers snark really well, so while I do understand that it was hard to fit all those characters into one movie, he was underused. CaptainCrazy: I might be biased because I run around armed with bow and arrows in my spare time, but I do think Hawkeye is an interesting character. Not just because of the archery, his backstory offers a lot of possibilities.

• osochavarria

Aug 10th 2012, 15:31

Hawkeye was always one of my favorite Avengers, and I agree he was underused as far as screentime, but he was the MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER IN THE MOVIE. The very mention of agent Barton was what it took to bring in Black Widow, who then was able to peacefully bring in Banner, who was really the only Avenger who could have defeated Loki. So there, Hawkeye: most important character in the movie!

• alexr

Aug 10th 2012, 15:41

Having read the rest of the quote (as provided by Firedragon76) I can safely say with 100% certainty, that this is a total non-story. This just stinks of tabloid journalism. Take the quote that will get the readers in, and dismess the rest of the quote that puts it all into context. f*****g hate journalists.

Aug 10th 2012, 21:22

Who would have thought watching SWAT last decade that Renner would go on to be Hawkeye.

• moviemind91

Aug 10th 2012, 23:37

I think Loki controlling Hawkeye was just showing the audience how powerful he is as the films antagonist. Let's face it, when we all got excited for the Avengers it was because Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man and Thor were all teaming up, I doubt many people said "Let's go see it! Hawkeye and Black Widow are in it (then again I do have a big crush on Scarlett Johanson so yeah I got a little extra excited about seeing her...). I'm sure Renner will be pleased with his role in the next film. Calm down though, Renner! You've only just become a big star this year! Take it nice and easy.

• chriscarter

Aug 11th 2012, 9:27

I don't know what Renner is moaning about! It was a miracle that all the characters and plot were perfectly balanced to give each actor there moment in what is THE BEST SUPERHERO movie of all time. Considering that Hawkeye actually has no super-powers, I thought he played a really integral part and stood his own ground. If Renner is so eager to tell Hawkeye's story then maybe he should put his hand in his wallet and fund his own spin-off... chances are it would flop.. so stop moaning and be grateful you got to be part of such a brilliant movie.

• Murphy0806

Aug 11th 2012, 17:53

So, we can add misinforming readers to the list. The standards are certainly dropping at TF. Not happy with Hawkeye's presentation? I guess you didn't read the full interview then, or even the whole reply to that one question.

• Murphy0806

Aug 11th 2012, 17:53

• garyu2

Aug 13th 2012, 7:30

Lets be honest, in a movie with Iron Man, Thor and The Hulk... who's gonna care about a normal looking bloke (with few lines) shooting an arrow?

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 13th 2012, 7:41

Firedragon76: I am partial to walking around in public in my underwear which kinda makes me a superhero. We should team up. I go by the code name Skids.

• Firedragon76

Aug 13th 2012, 13:18

CaptainCrazy: if you are actually brave enough to walk around in public with your underwear OVER your outer wear à la Superman (just underwear is boring), I'm in. Fair warning: I shoot 3D and usually hit the vitals, so no calling me Katniss or your undies are getting a new ventilation system ;-)

• jeffschader

Aug 13th 2012, 20:21

Given how badly he acted with a bow, I'd be fine with him being replaced. He clearly didn't take any lessons in archery. Considering the character is supposed to be the best archer in the Marvel Universe, I think his lack of preparation is an insult to the viewers.

• dncredible

Feb 13th 2013, 7:20

Hawkeye Rocks. Number 1 with seeing the potential victories and enemies weaknesses. Coolest naturally gifted superhero ever!!!

• dncredible

Feb 13th 2013, 7:24

And he makes not have a gun look cooler than ice. Even recycled an arrow. Can't do that with bullets.