Jodie Foster defends “gifted” Mel Gibson

Says The Beaver contains “a powerful performance”

Mel Gibson

Jodie Foster continues to stand by “gifted” but nonetheless troubled Mel Gibson, who she directed in The Beaver and starred alongside in Maverick.

Having defended him publicly when angry voicemails allegedly left by Gibson on his ex’s phone were leaked, Foster has again spoken out in his defence.

“He’s the easiest, nicest person I've ever worked with,” she tells MORE magazine. “The second I met him, I said, ‘I will love this man for the rest of my life.’”

Furthermore, she adds that The Beaver, which has still yet to receive a release date after the phone furrore, features one of Gibson’s best performances to date.

“When you love a friend, you don't abandon them when they are struggling,” she says. “Of course, Mel is an undeniably gifted actor and director, and The Beaver is one of his most powerful and moving performances.

“But more importantly, he is and has been a true and loyal friend. I hope I can help him get through this dark moment.”

Does Gibson deserve a second chance? Or is this the end of the road for him? Tell us below...

In cinemas this week…

Comments

• Agent69

Sep 22nd 2010, 1:21

Now that's what you call a great friend.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Sep 22nd 2010, 12:55

Nice one Jodie, very refreshing

Sep 23rd 2010, 14:59

I am sure Mel can be a great person at times, but those clips are horrific, and the rumors of wife beating have severely damaged his image.

• s1monb

Sep 25th 2010, 18:00

I don't care if he can walk on water. He's a violent, racist, sexist a***hole. And as such, his movies won't be getting any financial support from me. He has to face the consequences of his actions.

• Gav83

Sep 26th 2010, 21:07

IMO there's a serious amount of manipulation going on here on Mel parts. His missus sounds like a right sneaky b@#%&. Her voice mail tapes got "leaked"? She most likely goaded him on know full well what she was doing. And it's hardly surprising than Jodie is coming to his rescue she as how her new movie is being held up because a) Mel is the star & b) he rep is in the great white telephone at the moment. Rant over.

• Gav83

Sep 26th 2010, 21:08

IMO there's a serious amount of manipulation going on here on Mel parts. His missus sounds like a right sneaky b@#%&. Her voice mail tapes got "leaked"? She most likely goaded him on knowing full well what she was doing. And it's hardly surprising than Jodie is coming to his rescue she as how her new movie is being held up because a) Mel is the star & b) he rep is in the great white telephone at the moment. Rant over.