Joe Cornish to direct Die Hard 5?

Attack The Block director in the frame

Die Hard 5's rudderless ship may be about to get some new directions, with Joe Cornish, Nicolas Winding Refn, Justin Lin and John Moore all in the running to helm.

Out of all of them, Cornish is the surprise given his first feature Attack The Block only opened this weekend in the US (notching up $138K from just eight screens).

His rivals have what could be seen as more reliable credentials: Lin (Fast Five); Refn (Valhalla Rising); and Moore (Max Payne).

However, Lin is expected to helm another Fast And The Furious movie, Refn shoots Only God Forgives this summer in Thailand, while Moore was the initial favourite for the job but reportedly has yet to meet with 20th Century Fox.

The fifth film in the franchise sees cop John McClane in Russia, with Bruce Willis apparently ready to shoot later this year.

The original Die Hard 5 director Noam Murro jumped ship after being handed the reigns on Warner Bros' 300: Battle Of Artemisia.

Can Joe Cornish turn his low-budget Brit success into a gig directing an action blockbuster? Is he the anti-John McClane - the right guy in the right place at the right time? Tell us below.

Comments

• youngnedyoung

Aug 2nd 2011, 1:38

Surely, this is a hoax? If not, I would love to see Cornballs direct a Die Hard movie. Adam Buxton can be the new sidekick, with the intrepid duo on a mission to create the world's best podcast jingle. Whilst shooting space rockets out of the sky. With a submarine. Awesome!

• ohwayne

Aug 2nd 2011, 2:31

This would be the greatest thing ever. Adam should play a character called Stephen for sure.

• trist808

Aug 2nd 2011, 12:00

OMG, what an amazing choice :) I hope this isn't some random rumour with no truth behind it or a hoax. Attack The Block wasn't great, but it felt new and fresh and was certainly an interesting take on an old sci-fi formula ... plus Joe has proved he can do One-Man standing up to adversity ... in a building, so Die Hard wouldn't be a stretch (lol). Please someone in Hollywood make this happen!

• oldirtywag

Aug 2nd 2011, 15:29

I am not one to usually comment on these things but I feel compelled to sign up, get involved and bask in the awe inspiring wonder that is dalidab1982 Where do I start? Do you have any friends? Do you have a job? Do you ever leave the house? Do you have any legs? Are you just an angry little head in a jar wired up to the internet like something out of Futurama? I have never read so much utter drivel in my life. It is just pure desperation. You clearly watch a lot of films but I'm not sure what kind of accident you were in which prevented you from understanding them in any way. My personal favourite battle was over the Expendebles 2... priceless. I wait in anticipation for your response... Oh and just to give this post some relevence.... Attack the Block was class, I would give my right nut to see Jo Cornish direct Die Hard 5, after the turd that was Die Hard 4. And of course you'd need to get Bruce Willis in it, not that strange bald humourless robot in a leather jacket from Die Hard 4. I love you dalidab1982

• oldirtywag

Aug 3rd 2011, 10:30

dalidab1982, first thing - full stops, they really go a long way to making you at least appear educated. I must say your life sounds wonderful. You must be really good at your job, but have you ever thought your life might be similar to the plot of Shutter Island? All I'm saying is keep your eyes peeled for those clues, and every once in a while actually try and leave the facility - see what happens. Do you have co-worker who follows you round everywhere and calls you "boss"? I'm glad you appreciated my "understanding" and I do hope you enjoy your live show of Batman, I'm sure there will be lots to keep your attention. Lets just hope Robin is over 18 ay?

• trist808

Aug 3rd 2011, 13:19

Clueless

• murphy

Aug 4th 2011, 15:46

hahaha totally clueless,what a berk! Nice work Oldirtywag.

• oldirtywag