Joel Kinnaman talks RoboCop’s PG-13 rating

Says it remains a very adult film

Joel Kinnaman has been discussing RoboCop’s PG-13 certificate, and has reassured fans that despite the family-friendly rating, José Padilha’s film will remain a very adult enterprise.

“I had a couple of brief conversations with José about what he wanted to do with the film,” says Kinnaman. “I didn’t really know that The Dark Knight was PG-13 as well...  I didn’t know what you could get away with with PG-13."

“After seeing what we got away with with PG-13, that battle became quite irrelevant. The original RoboCop was X-rated and then they had to cut it down so it became R-rated and Verhoeven claimed that actually made the movie more violent, because it’s what you don’t see that actually scares you.”

“The violence of the of the original RoboCop was so much aligned with Verhoeven’s cinematic tone and his comedic tone, and our film is carrying José’s tone. He’s a completely different filmmaker, so the violence that we have in our movie completely makes sense in terms of who José is.”

Co-starring Abbie Cornish, Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton, RoboCop will open in the UK on 7 February 2014.

Are you excited to see the remake? Tell us, below!

Comments

• WayneT23

Feb 4th 2014, 9:49

Its PG-13 so it can more bums in seats, same reason the Total Recall remake was, and like Total Recall it will loose all the appeal and message of the original. Robocop had a level of satire and social commentary running through it, where as this one opitimises whats wrong with Hollywood at the moment, kiddie remakes of classic adult cinema, relying on brand recognition in order to make money.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Feb 4th 2014, 10:00

Short sighted Hollywood. If they were to make something outstanding, something where they just went for it, did what they wanted and made a piece of 'cinema' rather than a marketing opportunity targeted at American male teens they would stand a much better chance of making their money back and starting a franchise. We (even American male teens) can spot a wafer thin cash cow a mile off. Sniff sniff, Total Recal. Sniff sniff Texas Chainsaw. I predict this will be as empty on the inside as it looks shiny on the outside. All surface, no depth means quickly forgotten which sounds short sighted to me.

• chibik

Feb 4th 2014, 11:09

I still haven't decided whether I'm watching this or not. I don't like the idea of a PG-13 remake. I don't like the direciton they're taking at all, compared to the original. But it still looks like it might be a fun watch. I just don't know what to make of it!

• CaptainCrazy

Feb 4th 2014, 12:23

I will watch it, but on DVD. I will not support this during its cinema run purely on principal. The last time I went against my gut I doubled the attendance figure(s) for Jack The Giant Slayer in the UK. That said, you have to feel for Kinnaman. I get the feeling even he doesn't believe the marketing bullcrap he has to say to sell this flick.

• apo1978

Feb 4th 2014, 13:33

1."Serve the public trust" 2."Protect the innocent" 3."Uphold the law" 4."Never arrest a senior OCP Officer" 5."Reboot with sub-par watered-down Hollywood remake...probably"

Feb 4th 2014, 15:37

Damn I didn't realize it was even PG-13 now I am definitely not watching it.

• frankiesmales

Feb 7th 2014, 18:21

in my country Ghostbusters lost it's PG status a few years ago when they did an re-release the British film board found it was no longer family friendly due to scenes of adult nature where a possessed Sigourney weaver trying to have freaky sex with Bill Murray on her bed and said provocative lines like take me now Subcreature and I want you inside of me amongst other coarse language as the film progresses and other scenes that the film board deemed it unfit for an PG and Downgraded it an 12A for the cinema but for home video release a 12 but we are living in the signs of change where violence in film and TV has to be toned down so we do not need a repeat of the dark days of the 80's where it was blood and violence all the way that ended up getting banned or cut in Britian where you see women getting raped people was getting chopped and eaten animal cruelty was violent and that's why they do not want an repeat of the video nasties culture ever again. Frankie smales smalestv uk