John Lasseter responds to Toy Story 4 rumours

His cryptic response doesn't rule it out

After Tom Hanks' suggestion that they're already "working on it", Pixar head John Lasseter has been grilled by the normally reserved hosts of the BBC's Breakfast show about a fourth instalment of Toy Story.

"We haven't announced anything, so I can't really talk about it" was his official-ish response after agreeing that he found Hanks' gaffe "interesting".

The shuffling, raised eyebrows and awkward humming are certain to get rumour-mongers thinking that an official announcement could be imminent. Check out the video here.

Is it too hard to imagine the perfect Pixar trio becoming a quartet without destroying a little of the magic?

Although, with some critics suggesting that the 'Hawaiian Vacation' short preceding Cars 2 is outdoing the main attraction at the theatres, it may be required.

Will Brave and Monsters University get Pixar back to the heights we know they can scale? Even if they do, Toy Story could just be too valuable a property to be put away in the attic...

Desperate for another Woody and Buzz outing?  Or does the thought of draining the Toy Story cash cow further leave you cold in your milk maid mittens?  Please let us know your thoughts...

Comments

• trist808

Jul 19th 2011, 13:32

If Pixar can maintain the level of quality as with the previous 3 films, I can't see how anyone would begrudge a fourth installment. As long as the characterisation and story is there, you know the animation will be outstanding, then by all means do it. It's good to see that Pixar have a new project out next year in the form of BRAVE and MONSTERS UNIVERSITY is their first prequel, but I hope they don't start going sequel crazy ... they are known for their originality, too many sequels will dilute that ... still, that said TOY STORY 4 would be very welcomed ... by me at least :)

• Rikib004

Jul 19th 2011, 15:03

I love all 3 Toy Story movies but they ended it really well, absolutely no reason to make another one. This is the exact reason the movie industry is dying, Execs think why make a new film idea when we can release Harry Potter 14, Cars 12 and The The Final Destination 5. How bout some ingenuity hollywood!

• trist808

Jul 19th 2011, 15:30

The film industry is not dying, far from it, and sequels are a common part of the business nowadays. Even tripe such as Pirates 4 manages to make over £32 million, so while ever people go see these films, studio execs are going to greenlite more of the same. Every so often we'll get something that breaks the mold and offers something genuinely new, but Hollywood will stick to what they know to guarantee box office returns ... it's basic business - you sell the product that will guarantee you make money.

• Rikib004

Jul 19th 2011, 15:55

Although I understand & agree with the business side of it, from the creative side of it I can't help but be disappointed everytime I hear yet another sequel...Don't get me wrong I completely feel that some movies were madde to have sequels and the sequels truly do it justice but MANY don't. For every Godfather 2 there is a thousand Halloween 3's

• trist808

Jul 19th 2011, 16:17

Oh I totally agree with you on that point, some sequles just aren't worth it and should never have been made. I just feel that a fourth Toy Story woudn't necessarily be a bad thing, the story arc with Andy is finished but the Toys did end up with a new family and new characters were introduced that could have more screen time (such as Mr Pricklepants who is a hoot in Hawaiian Vacation - the TS short before Cars 2) so there is scope to maybe do another one that could be worthwhile and fun and just as enjoyable and entertaining as the other three films :)

• Rikib004

Jul 19th 2011, 21:34

If another is made I will most likely go see it and contribute my few quid but I think my main worry is that they ruin the greatness of the original 3 by souring it with a new one...yet that was the risk with 2 & 3 so I guess time will only tell.