John Lasseter says Cars 2 wasn't about merchandising

“It’s a very, very special film to me”

It's not the norm for a Pixar film to get a lot of flack from the press, or for it to rank so lowly when it comes to reviews (38 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes). But Cars 2 director John Lasseter says the sequel wasn't just about selling a bunch of new toys.

"I reached deep into myself and saw what this film was about and I think it’s clear that audiences have responded. It’s a very, very special film to me,” he told The Hollywood Reporter

Some have claimed that Pixar was forced to produce the sequel by its owners at Disney to create new merchandising for the franchise.

"It’s not true. It’s people who don’t know the facts, rushing to judge,” Lasseter said.

“I recognise my place in the Walt Disney Company, but my job, my focus, my deepest desire is to entertain people by making great movies, and we did that with Cars 2.”

The box office take backs up his comments, with Cars 2 making $551m worldwide - 20 per cent more than the first film.

“I make movies for that little boy who loves the characters so much that he wants to pack his clothes in a Lightning McQueen suitcase,” Lasseter added.

Your not helping that argument about merchandising there, John.

Do you pack your clothes in a Lightning McQueen suitcase? Or is it time to end this capitalist experiment and occupy Sesame Street (99 per cent of the world's cookies are eaten by one per cent of monsters!). Speak freely below.

Comments

Oct 18th 2011, 21:48

One mans good intentions, is another man is cynical merchandising opputunity. Lasseter should of known Disney doesnt do personal films, they do blockbusters, if he wants the former he should work for Studio Ghibli.

• albongo

Oct 18th 2011, 22:25

Jesus Christ Hadouken, you want to go back to school and learn how to spell please. I mean your comment is awful! For the love of God, refrain from leaving comments on websites if you write like a seven year old!

• 5thghostbuster

Oct 18th 2011, 22:42

Only people who can spell are allowed an opinion? Seems a bit harsh.

• murphy

Oct 18th 2011, 23:26

wahts rong wif hiz speling? Seriously though,if that offends you,don't ever read one of dalidabs posts! And if that film wasn't about merchandising you'd better tell that to the staff at the Disney store who went batsh!t crazy with the Cars 2 display!

Oct 19th 2011, 0:25

LOL @ "you want to go back to school and learn how to spell please." If that isnt grammatically retarrded * I dont know what is. I think you meant "You NEED to go back to school and learn how to spell." Hey, maybe we can share a classroom...hahaha! (*Spelt incorrectly to avoid the censors).

• QuietLife

Oct 19th 2011, 11:40

Spelling/grammar aside I agree with Hadouken76's original point. It was rather naive of Lasseter to think Disney had any motive other than to fill their pockets.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Oct 19th 2011, 12:15

Really like Cars but Cars 2 was s**te! (I meant to spell it that way btw). My kids are still loopy over the merch so I take Lasseter's comments with a big ol pinch. He knows why Cars 2 was made, even if he doesn't want to admit it

• StevePotter

Oct 19th 2011, 21:26

*Cough cough b******t cough cough* Sorry, I've had a bit of weird cold lately. What I meant to say was, "b******t."