Johnny Depp enters negotiations for Pirates 5

Cap’n Jack could be back again

pirates of the caribbean

Despite previously sounding unsure about making a Pirates 5, Johnny Depp has officially entered talks to play Captain Jack Sparrow for a fifth time.

The fourth Pirates Of The Caribbean film, On Stranger Tides, just brought its total worldwide gross to a staggering $1bn. No surprise, then, that Disney are keen on continuing the profitable franchise.

During press for Stranger Tides, Depp had mentioned he’d like to take a break from Jack for a while for fear of a backlash against the character.

“It's not something where I would say, 'Let's shoot it next month to get it out by Christmas 2012,'" he said earlier this year.

“We should hold off for a bit. They should be special, just like they are special to me."

Disney are obviously applying the pressure, though - they already have a Pirates 5 script being written by series regular Terry Rossio.

Not only that, but back in December we heard that the studio are considering making Pirates 5 and 6 back-to-back. That's a lot of rum-swigging.

Let’s just hope that Jack’s further adventures fare better than Tides, which brought new meaning to the term ‘resting on your laurels’. That despite stellar support from Ian McShane as Blackbeard.

A pirate's life for you? Or on yer bike? Do you want a Pirates 5? Drop your comments below...

Comments

Jul 6th 2011, 10:22

butone small snag... no-one liked ANY OF THE LAST 3..let it die!!

• PiedPiper

Jul 6th 2011, 11:28

I agree. Although I loved the first three films, the fourth ones was just pants. We've seen Sparrow's antics and know what he can do. In Stanger Tides, the film-makers didn't push the boat out and try to challenge the good/bad pirate. Can you imagine what it would be like for another two films? No, no. Like the Toy Stories, they should just leave it be.

• PiedPiper

Jul 6th 2011, 11:28

• PiedPiper

Jul 6th 2011, 11:28

• PiedPiper

Jul 6th 2011, 11:28

• ScottFree

Jul 6th 2011, 11:28

they're driving this themepark ride till the wheels come off.... anyhow....when they're still making sequels they won't bother to reboot the franchise...so we won't have to see the same s**t all over again...!

• PiedPiper

Jul 6th 2011, 11:29

Oh for God's sake. Sorry about all that. I thought the 'submit' button would move or do something to show you've sent it off. *shakes head*

• joker16

Jul 6th 2011, 12:21

F U C K I N G sell out!!!!!!

• MikeyRix

Jul 6th 2011, 19:30

1 was good, 2 was good and 3 was the reason for my disinterest in 4. Yeah, let's milk the f*****g cash cow whilst we can (!)

Jul 6th 2011, 20:55

It could be could IF they hire a director with action chops. Ditch the tedious need for two youths to fall in love, and find a menacing villain. The 4th movie wasn't so bad, it was just meh.

• Binkybonk

Oct 13th 2011, 18:49

personally, i thought 4 was better than 3. Can't really see where they're going with all this though. I guess it pays the bills.

• LadyoftheManor

Jan 27th 2012, 12:00

Yes, the storylines can be a bit daft, but for goodness sake everyone lighten up and accept them for what they are. They are great family adventure movies with superb special effects, and Johnny's camp pirate is a real hoot! I liked the first film and loved the second one, although I found the third one a bit hard to follow. Still made for great viewing though. I saw Pirates 4 a few times and still enjoyed it. I thought Blackbeard was great. Not sure where they will take it from now on, but what the heck, I can't wait to see any more sequels that they care to make, if only to see the sexiest pirate on the seven seas!