Johnny Depp unsure about making a Pirates 5

“We should hold off for a bit”

johnny depp

Johnny Depp’s out promoting his fourth stint as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides at the moment, but he’s not sure he fancies a fifth go at the rum.

The actor said that a few key factors needed to be in place first in order to keep the franchise “special”.

“Boils down to story, script and filmmaker,” he said regarding the topic of a fifth movie. “It's not something where I would say, 'Let's shoot it next month to get it out by Christmas 2012'.

“We should hold off for a bit. They should be special, just like they are special to me."

The actor went on to add he has a low-budget idea for further instalments in the profitable franchise, joking:

“I have a clever idea for Pirates 5 and 6. We're actually going to shoot it on the [Disneyland] ride. Just us going around in a circle. Just close-ups on everyone.”

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides opens 18 May.

Want a Pirates 5? Or think they should end the franchise with On Stranger Tides? Drop us your thoughts below...

Comments

• ChrisWootton

May 9th 2011, 12:07

Hmm, doesn't bode well for the film. I didn't mind the first 2 (the last one was all over the place but still had its moments) but the trailer did nothing to make me want to see a fourth.

• ASmileSoDevious

May 9th 2011, 12:25

They should just leave it as it is. The whole franchise has gone stale now.

May 9th 2011, 14:01

The joke wore off before the end of 'Black Pearl', its gone the way of Little Britain,

May 9th 2011, 16:29

Well Johnny isn't a spring chicken anymore, so it's no wonder he wants a break.

May 9th 2011, 20:01

No dalidab, some of Pitt's best work came after 2001, just look at Jesse James.

• matty2392

May 9th 2011, 20:38

Its getting stupid now, the 4th one looks like its going to be poor. I think Johnny Depp should try doing some more 'normal' films. And if they do the 5th and 6th why dont they change the charecters a bit.

• Morituri

May 9th 2011, 21:52

I agree with him, if they churn them out like products they will eventually turn c**p. Deep is the only keeper of the franchise and as such he is key to its quality. If there's a great script shoot it,if not, wait for one.

• Samwise89

May 9th 2011, 22:05

and there we have another great rant from dalidab. never fail to make me laugh, it's almost as if your version of the films are some cheap rip off made by 4 year olds. Everybody is entitled to thier own opinion though i suppose however The Departed, Shutter Island and Inception being truly awful films? I'm starting to wonder if your favourite films are Battlefield Earth, Howard the Duck and Batman and Robin? Back to the subject matter however I think that a 5th POTC would be a step too far, im surprised they managed to churn out a 4th, which by the way looks terrible and too similar to the others, same old people doing the same old things in pretty much the same sort of places, i know they tried to vamp it up with a slighlty different cast, but seems as though they are playing the same sort of character, original, i know. However they make money and that is why the companies continue to make them, and to be honest it wouldn't shock me to see a 5th and a 6th.

• goldengazzy

May 9th 2011, 22:48

Unfortunately it's like most series these days, if they can make more money out of it they will. Perfect example George Lucas with all the extra awful programs and animated movies that he's added onto the Star Wars franchise. The first film was enjoyable and from there they just went downhill. Jack Sparrow has showed little if no character development over the past 3 movies so what's the betting that he won't grow at all in this one. The only good thing I personally feel to come out of this movie is no Kiera Knightly or Orlando Bloom as both of them I personally cannot stand. Orlando was tolerable in The Lord of the Rings as Legolas and just Kiera is one of the worst actresses I have ever seen. @Samwise89, "Everybody is entitled to thier own opinion though i suppose however The Departed, Shutter Island and Inception being truly awful films? I'm starting to wonder if your favourite films are Battlefield Earth, Howard the Duck and Batman and Robin?" That did make me laugh. Now @Dalidab1982, you are completely entitled to your own opinion. I'm one for free speech. However I feel the need to excercise my right to free speech, how on earth can you say that Inception, Shutter Island and The Departed are awful. They are 3 of the best films of the last 5 years. The direction is superb along with the cinematography not too mention the writing for them. Now before you get on your high horse and claim that I don't know anything lemme inform you that I am a National Diploma Media Student so I do happen to know what I am on about. There we go rant over.

• goldengazzy

May 9th 2011, 23:38

@dalidab1982. I beg you to point to the exact sentence where I claimed I was better than you. I never claimed that I was better than you. I stated what i do because i've seen you try to shoot down people claiming they don't know anything, so maybe you'd actually take my opinion and not brush it away like you do some others. For your information I am not pompous I've worked my a**e off to get where I am and if you think that makes me pompous than I am as pompous as a conservative politician. I'm just proud of where I am and how I got here. I was just stating a fact that I personally disagree. Now if you can't deal with that, then that's you're own problem and I feel sorry for you. Now that we've finished perhaps we can direct this comment thread back to POTC 4 like it's meant to.

• filbert77

May 10th 2011, 0:06

Y'arrrrrrr right there Johnny.

• filbert77

May 10th 2011, 0:06

Y'arrrrrrr right there Johnny.

• BruceShark

May 10th 2011, 0:13

@dalidab1982 I quote "The Departed is one of the worst & most boring remakes ever made which I think is nothing compared to the original 1990 masterpiece Internal Affairs starring Richard Gere & Andy Garcia" Who needs to go to media class.

• DanRose

May 10th 2011, 0:44

@Dalibab makes me crack up ......We are all entitled to opinion and as we are probably all self proclaimed movie buffs we all like to think we know what's good and that....you certainly love to show off your knowledge and I admire your spirit but you do come up with some cracking stuff.... @Samwise jokingly concludes you like three of the most derided, crappy movies ever...you admit none of them are your favourite but still exciting proclaim that you love one of them and proudly own another.... classic... and @Brucetheshark, I was wondering who was going to mention that....

• fuzzydunlop1

May 10th 2011, 2:32

@Dalibab Just so we're all clear, 'The Departed' is, in fact, a remake of the Hong Kong film 'Infernal Affairs' (2002). You should watch it. It's great! Do you like subtitles? As for POTC 4. Nah, not for me...

• writerdave87

May 10th 2011, 3:17

Wow Dalidab, lay off Gazzy. You can't come out with a torrent of abuse and then turn around and beg forgiveness. Stop being aggressive to anyone that disagrees with you. You can't take what you yourself dish out. If you insist on espousing the virtues of a bunch of films that pretty much everyone who's ever seen them thinks they're naff, you can't throw a temper tantrum and scream and cry whenever someone disagrees with you. As you're so fond of saying, it's your opinion that those films are good. But it's the opinion of everyone else that those films are absolute turd. And if you decide to call anyone a c*nt and eff and blind when they disagree with you, you're going to alienate absolutely everyone, and you're going to look pathetic. Especially when you go all high-horse and say the Departed is a remake of the Richard Gere film (which, have you even seen? The plots are completely different and no-one who's watched both could think they're connected). Take a chill pill and get over yourself.

• writerdave87

May 10th 2011, 3:19

Going back to POTC5, I think it's quite encouraging that Depp isn't willing to go to the well too often. Hopefully it means 5 will be a return to the quality of 1, which I actually really enjoyed despite the fairly limp Knightly/Bloom handicap.

• TwoBobRuss

May 10th 2011, 7:37

@Dalidab never fails to entertain. He is my inspiration for signing up to be able to comment. You have made some rants in your time but that takes the biscuit. As for the Internal Affairs mix-up they couldn't be any more different movies. Keep up the good work, I am sure one day Total Film will realise your brilliance and offer you a position on the editing desk.

• ChrisWootton

May 10th 2011, 9:31

Can I ask a practical question at this point?........... Are we going to do Stonehenge tomorrow night?

• DanRose

May 10th 2011, 12:10

No, no, no,no,no...... both completely different!

• ChrisWootton

May 10th 2011, 12:42

Yeah, Infernal Affairs (2002) is an original movie and is the first of a trilogy and remade as the Departed but Internal affairs has nothing to do with it. It's an original movie from 1990. But as said completely unrelated movies.

• trist808

May 10th 2011, 14:32

This is quite interesting, coz about a year or so ago it was reported that Pirates 4 would be the start of a brand new trilogy of POTC films. Pushing Sparrow's character to the front and having him go off on some new(ish) adventures. I'm sure I recall Depp saying he'd signed up for them too, so I think 5 & 6 are most likely, and I woudln't be surprised if they were shot back-to-back and released within a year of each other (same as Dead Man's Chest / At World's End). I think the POTC films are fun and entertaining enough, however they're nothing special, but while ever they keep making shedloads of money Disney will churn more and more of them out. Nowadays it's all about those "safe bets" for the big studios and regardless of the quality on display, people seem happy to part with their cash and go see the latest installment. I hope this one is an enjoyable romp that's worth 2 hours of my time and the 3D is actually good for once, but we'll see.

• ChrisWootton

May 10th 2011, 14:44

I agree dalidab.. Internal Affairs is a cracking movie. Yeah I remember this one being the start of a new trilogy..

• writerdave87

May 10th 2011, 15:21

Dalidab. Internal Affairs has nothing to do with Infernal Affairs at all, it's not a remake; nothing about the story is remotely similar (Infernal Affairs doesn't feature an Internal Affairs unit, no characters are similar, the story is totally different). And drop the sympathy act- 'I just dont mean to hurt, offend or put down other peoples opinions on here & if I have I am truely sorry.' Really? You called someone a pompous w****r, called his friends cunts, told him to f**k off and all manner of other things. You can't then turn around and simper some apologies. Grow up.

May 10th 2011, 17:08

"The Departed is one of the worst & most boring remakes ever made which I think is nothing compared to the original 1990 masterpiece Internal Affairs starring Richard Gere & Andy Garcia" LMAO bless you Dalidab.

• TwoBobRuss

May 10th 2011, 18:42

Er, not quite how I meant it Dalidab.....

• writerdave87

May 10th 2011, 19:50

TwoBobRuss the man likes Battlefield Earth. He's clearly not on the same plane of reality as the rest of us ;)

• writerdave87

May 10th 2011, 21:02

You can take a joke? When?

• fuzzydunlop1

May 12th 2011, 1:10

Stonehenge? Where the demons dwell and the banshees live (and they do live well)? Um, no.