Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Dark Knight Rises character revealed

He'll play Alberto Falcone

Since Joseph Gordon-Levitt's name was linked to The Dark Knight Rises, there has been a ton of speculation surrounding which character he'll play.

It has finally been announced by Variety (via WorstPreviews) that Inception actor J G-L has been cast as Alberto Falcone in Christopher Nolan's feverishly-anticipated trilogy closer.

Alberto is the son of mob boss Carmine Falcone, played by Tom Wilkinson in Batman Begins.

Gary Oldman has previously mentioned in a interview that Rises will round off Nolan's Bat-story, and bring it all back to Begins, and this character announcement certainly seems to validate those claims.

Nolan will undoubtedly keep the plot details tightly under wraps until the film is released, but Alberto had an interesting role to play in Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's The Long Halloween (spoilers for that comic follow…)

In that storyline, Alberto was revealed to be the Holiday Killer, a murderer who had been taking various people out on significant holidays throughout the year.

It's hard to guess whether this is something Nolan plans to bring into the film, but it seems more plausible that Alberto will be used as a vengeful son figure, considering how Carmine ended up in Batman Begins.

It'll also be a neat link back to the death of Bruce Wayne's parents, and Carmine's involvement with that incident.

Hopefully this announcement should also diminish the persistent, irksome rumour that Robin will be appearing in this installment…

This news has done little to quell our excitement for The Dark Knight Rises, which is due for release on 20 July 2012.

Did you think J G-L would be playing Falcone the Younger? Pleased that the story is returning to Begins territory? Talk it out below...

Comments

• willow138

Mar 20th 2011, 16:15

will be ace to see a dark character from him x

• writerdave87

Mar 20th 2011, 17:48

Thank the good Christ he's not Nightwing or Robin.

• DANNYBOYDANJA

Mar 20th 2011, 17:48

I guess its a good fit, but i was really hopin that Joseph Gordon Levitt would be playin Nightwing, considering that this would be Christopher Nolans last Bat film & i thought that the Gotham torch couldve been passed to another vigilante, but thats just me.

• Raybros

Mar 20th 2011, 18:19

gratz to the guy who guessed he was playing this character on total film's forum!

• affro360

Mar 20th 2011, 20:16

and there it is... dalidab1982 not happy with the result personally i think its great cos he's a villain that hasnt been done before in the films and its always good to see someone new... plus Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks perfect for the role!

• writerdave87

Mar 20th 2011, 20:35

You can't do a Nightwing story without doing a Robin story. And that would be c**p. But hey, Bieber hasn't been cast yet...

• mrblonde

Mar 20th 2011, 20:40

Personally, I think this is great casting and JGL will do a great job in that role. This also makes it look more likely that it will be brought to light in TDKR that Selina Kyle is supposedly the daughter of Carmine Falcone. I really like the way that this film is coming together and like all the casting decisions so far. I really hope that Talia and the League of Shadows turn up in the film to make the trilogy go full circle and that the rumours of Marion Cotillard playing Talia turn out to be true. It would also be nice to maybe see Hugo Strange and Calendar Man show up as well, even if they're only small parts. So far. IMO, all signs are good that Nolan/Bale's Bat trilogy will be the first great Superhero movie trilogy!

• spm1987

Mar 20th 2011, 20:48

I'm confused. I didn't know that reading the Wikipedia page was the same as reading the source material. I'm actually really surprised that you aren't familiar with The Long Halloween story. It is one of the more popular arcs in the Batman comics. It's very compelling and thrilling; with Nolan working with the character there shouldn't be any worries. In regards to Nightwing: I know Nolan has taken his liberties with the franchise, but I do not think that he would stray so far from the mythology and create Nightwing in a world were he does not become Robin first. If you have the time please read The Long Halloween, you’ll love it.

• morphadite

Mar 20th 2011, 21:49

can't wait for this film! Joseph will be great as always.

• writerdave87

Mar 20th 2011, 22:30

Wow Dalidab, you've been hitting the acid tonight huh?

• FilmLover94

Mar 20th 2011, 23:47

I was guessing it might've Joseph would've been casted Alberto, considering Joseph wouldn't of been casted a big role as Nolan is doing him a favour by letting him be in the film in the first place, also it would tie Bane and Alberto in nicely, who else is hoping that Bane breaks the Bat's back in this film?!

Mar 20th 2011, 23:49

So theres Bane, Catwoman, and now Alberto Falcone, isnt this goin down the Spidey 3 road of having too many cooks? Killer Croc wouldnt have been possible in Nolans 'practical' bat-universe. I would of cast JGL as Deadshot..(I know I keep harping on about it) but a suicidal assasin fits perfectly in Nolans world of psychologially impaired misfits.

• quadrille

Mar 21st 2011, 1:14

I really like this news, considering the reboots have already lifted a few things from The Long Halloween -- atmospherically, it's a perfect fit. Bit worried about there being too many villains, but hey, I believe in Christopher Nolan.

• ThrashGordon

Mar 21st 2011, 1:43

Bring back Liam Neeson!!!!!!!

• DrunkyMcDrunk

Mar 21st 2011, 4:56

To Dalidab- The article doesn't say that Alberto will be the Holiday Killer. It simply mentions that he played that role in ONE storyline of one comic arc. In fact, the article expresses doubt that this would be the case in the film. It says, "It's hard to guess whether this is something Nolan plans to bring into the film, but it seems MORE PLAUSIBLE that Alberto will be used as a vengeful son figure." [Instead of the Holiday Killer.] So don't worry too much, and don't make that an expectation. Trust Nolan. I think he and his brother wrote some damn fine scripts for the previous films. And after casting Heath Ledger, whom I could NOT visualize as the Joker when that casting was first announced (but which was obviously a genius decision), I have a tremendous amount of respect and trust in his decisions. I still see Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as being too young for their roles. But I also thought that about Ledger, and I was definitely proven wrong there. So I'm not sweating any of these rumors or announcements.. I'm just going to look forward to another kick a*s film.

• actionDALLAS

Mar 21st 2011, 5:47

Ok i stopped reading dalibducks whacked out batman idea half way through, don't quit your day job bud. Gordon Levitt iss weakk 500 days of summer BS in a batman film? as a no name villain?!? nooo... how can that be the follow up plan to the best villain portrayal of all time done by heath ledger? Wheres CLAYFACE MOFO? How could such a badass story and character as clayface go unused by special effects genius Nolan? so many questions with no possible answers, whoa is mee......

• writerdave87

Mar 21st 2011, 8:57

JGL won't be a main villain, that'll be left to Tom Hardy and whoever's playing Hugo Strange I reckon. Would still like to see Cillian Murphy pop up again :p Re Dalidab's ideas... I'm almost convinced he just does it to mess with us now.

Mar 21st 2011, 14:09

Good choice, I should have seen this coming.

• Peachy556

Mar 24th 2011, 12:40

Good character, and I'm more than certain that Levitt will nail it, it'll be nice to see him play a villian, he has the looks for it. It'd be great if he was the holiday killer, but by no means essential. My only slight worry is that there are a lot of people in this, Nolan might be stretching things too far. We all remember Villain-Man, sorry Spider-Man 3.