Josh Brolin reveals he had talks to play Batman

“It just didn’t turn out”

Josh Brolin has confirmed that he was up for the part of Batman in the forthcoming sequel to Man Of Steel, only to eventually lose out to Ben Affleck.

Brolin had been linked to the vacant cape and cowl for some weeks, and reveals that discussions did take place with director Zack Snyder over the potential casting.

“We did,” confirms the star. “I didn’t have conversations about it, but Zack, that was part of his idea. It just didn’t turn out. It’s OK. It is OK. You know, another scenario might have worked better, but I’m happy for Ben.”

Indeed, Brolin might be thinking he dodged a bullet, particularly given the public reaction to Affleck’s appointment.

“I’ve never seen such a global reaction in my life,” says Brolin. “I feel for him, truly. I would not want to be him right now. The reaction becomes so personal. It’s like, ‘Fuck this guy, I wish he was dead.’”

“And you’re like, ‘What? Dude, seriously? This guy is just working like you are. He’s doing the same thing you are. He’s trying to make the best choices he can.”

Batman Vs. Superman will open in the US on 17 July 2015.

Would you have preferred Brolin as Batman? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Sep 9th 2013, 6:20

Nice one, coming up for Affleck like that. Some people take these things way too personally.

Sep 9th 2013, 8:55

I doubt casting Brolin would have gotten the same reaction but the reality is no choice would have pleased everyone. People had their favorites for the role (Jon Hamm for me) and the majority of fans wanted Bale to return, there was always going to be a negative reaction.

• Kurbie

Sep 9th 2013, 13:08

If Bale was to appear, I would find it a little difficult for him to share screen time, I find him memorizing to watch, and would spend some scenes just waiting for bale to appear. Brolin just feels too serious and a little rigid and doesn't need a suit to make him look tough, maybe there's that. Ben is more flexible and I think of the three would be best for the film as he is normal and needs the suit.

• spid2411

Sep 9th 2013, 14:31

Think he did well to avoid this turkey - its a bad idea being made for the wrong reasons (only money). They should make one off Batman stories based on graphic novels. Arkham Asylum was an amazing book - they could make that one like Sin City as the Batman is merely a silhouette in it (and the Joker looks insane). I would pay to see that and think Brolin would fit the bill (though it would have to be at least a 15 to capture the horror of the book)

Sep 9th 2013, 23:51

What the fanboys won't admit is that - at some point - they have hated ALL the actors that have chosen to play Batman.

• Stephen1984

Sep 10th 2013, 9:58

@Hadouken76: Good point. There was a negative reaction when Michael Keaton was chosen, and for some his portrayal is still the best Batman on film. There was also a lot of negativity when Heath Ledger was cast as the the Joker and when Anne Hathaway was chosen as Catwoman. Perhaps we should learn from the past, reserve our judgment and wait until we see the film.