Joss Whedon announces the start of The Avengers shoot

Filming began yesterday

You may have been stuffing your face with Easter Eggs on Sunday, but Joss Whedon was busy preparing The Avengers.

The director (notable for his snarky sense of humour) took to fansite ‘Whednonesque’ toupdate fans and, amongst other things, officially announce that filming on Marvel's epic superhero team-up would start the following day.

He said: “Tomorrow [Monday 25th] we start shooting (I THINK I'm legally permitted to say that). Day one. That's right. We'll be shooting the pivotal death/betrayal/product placement/setting up the sequel/coming out scene, at the following address:

“[Marvel Lawyers rush in, take Joss's keyboard, blowtorch a picture of his family like in "Stormy Monday", drink his milkshake, leave the seat up, fluff his pillows, violently unfluff his pillows, leave]

"Went too far. My bad. Anyhoo, it should be a fun day, followed by the eighty thousand other fun days it will take to finish this."

Whedon went on to add: "So wish me luck. DO IT! LUCK! NOW! I'm off to finish some Buffy pages, and then figure out what the movie is about already.

"I'm pretty sure it's about the Justice League [Marvel Lawyers re-enter, unspeakability occurs] or possibly something else. I'll get it. I've been looking forward to this. For about 46 years."

The film is currently shooting in New Mexico and is heading towards a 4th of May 2012 release date.

Expect a sneaky photographer to snap the entire cast shooting together soon...

Can you believe The Avengers finally happening? Is Whedon the perfect person for the job? Comment now!

Comments

• Cueball

Apr 26th 2011, 14:17

Can't wait. :)

• euanmcgrath

Apr 26th 2011, 15:33

HANG ON??! He's going to shoot and finish a movie of his size and complexity all in the space of under a year..?? whoah

Apr 26th 2011, 16:29

Fanboys are gonna go crazy about this, not crazy enough to talk to women and leave thier parents house..that would be silly! haha

• liamio2802

Apr 26th 2011, 19:47

So he say's “Tomorrow we start shooting " and this article is Sub-Headlined "Filming began yesterday" . . . . . . Lets just say I'm glad Total Film is no longer my one source of movie news. I know this is not exactly a story with a time limit but still a 3 Day delay? I like how TF reports (when it's not extremely Xenophobic and english biased) just not when!!

• porter

Apr 26th 2011, 20:53

Are there no other movies being made at the moment? All I've seen and heard is more comic-book c**p. Whatever happened to original ideas? And as for this being a movie of "size and complexity"...it's just a shiny kid's flick, for crying out loud. We've seen it all before. Different tights, same story. And what's with the dude above getting all upset about the story coming out 3 days late? If this is the most important thing you're waiting to hear about, you need to grow up kid. You know the films getting made, you know the release date...what more do you want? You'll see it next year. Who cares that they've started making it and you didn't find out for 72hrs. You'll live.

• jaydubb

Apr 26th 2011, 21:18

Forgive me if I go against the grain here, but couldn't they have found someone better to direct this? What has this guy really done movie-wise that makes everyone think he's god all of the sudden? I never got into Buffy or Firefly, so maybe thats the problem. But I'm sure they could have found someone who actually has some big budget / well made / high grossing movies on their track record. This guy sports multiple cancelled television shows, and movie based on one of those cancelled shows on his resume. Thats it. I realize that he is familiar with the universe as a writer and what-not, but lets face it. So is Stan Lee. And they're not asking him to direct any of these movies. I'm looking forward to the film, but I've got ot be honest, I'm a little concerned that Whedon can't handle a film of this scope.

• ChrisWootton

Apr 27th 2011, 0:05

Christ, he already looks stressed in that picture!

• jolopity

Apr 29th 2011, 9:59

To all you doubters, Joss has never truly been given an opportunity to direct such a huge movie! This is his chance, and making such iconic TV shows such as Buffy/Firefly/Dollshouse he has more than proved he is capable of pulling it off! He's got The Avengers in the bag and it's gonna rock :D Go Joss!

• jolopity

Apr 29th 2011, 10:01

P.S as for jaydubbs comment of they should have a big budget/ well made/ high grossing movie director.....Michael Bay is all those things but it doesn't stop Transformers 2 from sucking eggs!