Joss Whedon discusses how he could have improved The Avengers

And reveals his hopes for the sequel

Joss Whedon might have scored a veritable mega-hit with The Avengers, but according to the director, he still could have improved upon its structure.

"When I think of a great film, I think of something that’s either structured so perfectly like The Matrix or made so lovingly like The Godfather Part II," says Whedon. "There was haphazardness in the way it comes together – not just the people, but the scenes.

"I don’t think you’d look at it and go, 'This is a model of perfect structure.' You’d go, 'This is working.' I like it. I’m proud of it and I like its imperfections. The thing I cared most about – making a summer movie like the ones from my childhood – is the thing that I pulled off."

As for what we can expect for round two, Whedon is planning to be even more meticulous this tine around…

"I want to be clearer about how I engage the audience, and where I take them," explains Whedon. "I want more control visually, more time to prep it.

"Not that I didn’t dictate every shot - I did. But there’s only so much you can do when you’re making a summer film when the ball is already rolling as fast as it was when I got in. Why do it again if you can’t do it better?"

Avengers: Age Of Ultron
will open in the UK on 1 May 2015.

What are you hoping to see from the sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• anant

Sep 26th 2013, 7:28

i always liked dc superheros more, but you have got to love this man! intelligence and humility and focus! this is what dc need! this was what nolan was supposed to do with tdkr and mos! i always favored nolans dark batman over marvel drivel, (iron man1, thor were good) but one will have to admit that he is losing his touch, inception, tdkr, mos show a downward trajectory. common dc pull up your socks! hope for a miracle from mos2, with zack synder at the helm, only a miracle can bring dc back in the game. and Mr. Whedon sir....grudging respect.

• chibik

Sep 26th 2013, 7:29

When I saw the headline I thought, "Oh please, you did fine." Reading the full quote, though, I have to admit he's got a point. The Avengers is among my top five, and I stil enjoy watching it repeatedly, but I agree that the structure isn't the film's strongest point. Looking forward to see his new approach with Age of Ultron!

• spid2411

Sep 26th 2013, 8:52

The Avengers was fine of its type - entertaining for kids and quite funny in places. Not sure why it has been so widely praised but maybe that is as much to do with the fact that most comic book movies are pretty dreadful (Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Captain America etc). He did the best anyone could do with it - he has a good sense of humor and knew not to take it seriously (he wasn't trying to make the Godfather).

• trist808

Sep 26th 2013, 12:12

@endofdays ... when the Helicarrier is in trouble during Hulk's rampage, it is located just off New York's coast line. Both Thor and Hulk land in New York's outer areas and when the portal opens and the Chitari come through, it can be viewed from miles away (as it is bright and sunny and the middle of the day). There's no way this wasn't noticed by the majority of peopel livign in NY and both Banner and Thor would have seen it (in fact there's a deleted scene on the Avengers Blu-Ray that shows Banner watching the carnage from across the bay and he tells the old man he knows where he needs to go and the old man gives him the motorcycle he turns up on). But even without this scene in the final version of the film, it's not hard to figure out that both Thor and Banner could SEE what's going on and knew to head to that part of New York.

• ilikescifi

Sep 26th 2013, 12:14

after an Avengers rewatch i feel what he is saying, it was like he was handed a hot potato and forced to make it presentable but now he wants to GROW the potatoes in his special superheroes farm

• ilikescifi

Sep 26th 2013, 12:16

endofdays thanks, i didn't love IM3 first time, maybe i will try rewatching that too. Just about to watch first episode of Shield right now....

• ilikescifi

Sep 26th 2013, 12:37

@trist808 yes you are totally correct, but the fact that @endofdays did not see that is kinda what Whedon is saying here, about engaging the audience more clearly with stronger direction. for example, the fact that thor and hulk came to the fight because they happened to land nearby and saw the light in the distance is not exactly dramatic, or tense, or even have anything to do with their character

• SiMan

Sep 26th 2013, 13:30

If he wants to make it better he just needs to put Johannson in a skimpier superhero outfit. Preferably a Bikini (or have a 'Star Trek Into Darkness'-random-undie-shot)

• batt101

Sep 26th 2013, 13:47

Banner is a genius and Thor is a God, if they didn't know to go to New York then you know your screwed!

• Monkeynuts30

Sep 27th 2013, 11:27

@endofdays re: Banner knowing to go to New York, he was actually the first to know where the portal was going to open. Watch the standoff scene on the Helicarrier closely; the one where Stark and Cap confront Fury about Phase 2. Just before the engine explodes the machine that Stark and Banner set up to scan for the Tesseract's gamma emissions beeps and Banner goes over to it. He even has long enough to say "Oh my god" before the explosion. If he hadn't hulked out then in all probability the Avengers would have made it to NY before the portal was even opened. I got nothing on how Thor knew where to go but trist's theory works for me.

Sep 27th 2013, 11:49

Aside from putting Scarlet and Cobbie into more sexier outfits the movie is almost perfect.

• patriciahanson

Oct 1st 2013, 19:30

upto I saw the bank draft which had said $9704, I accept ...that...my father in law woz like truly making money part time on their apple labtop.. there sisters roommate haz done this for under seven months and just now took care of the mortgage on their villa and bought Jaguar E-type. check... url.ℳn/23bb7d0