Joss Whedon discusses villain Ultron in Avengers 2

Also talks Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Only yesterday, Edgar Wright was talking about the absence of Ultron in Ant-Man, and today Joss Whedon's dropped in with his two cents, discussing the villainous robot's role in Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

“I knew right away what I wanted to do with him,” he tells Entertainment Weekly. “He’s always trying to destroy the Avengers, goddamn it, he’s got a bee in his bonnet. He’s not a happy guy, which means he’s an interesting guy.

"He’s got pain. And the way that manifests is not going to be standard robot stuff. So we’ll take away some of those powers because at some point everybody becomes magic, and I already have someone who’s a witch."

Just how bad-guy Ultron will fit into Avengers 2 remains to be seen, but it does seem that he won't be the creation of Harry Pym (aka Ant-Man), which he was in the comics.

On top of the Avengers chat, Whedon also talked a bit about upcoming TV show Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., comparing it to the Xander-centric season three episode of Buffy entitled 'The Zeppo'.

“This is basically a TV series of ‘The Zeppo’, which was a very deliberate deconstruction of a Buffy episode in order to star the person who mattered the least,” he says.

“The people who are ignored are the people I’ve been writing as my heroes from day one. There’s a world of superheroes and superstars, they’re celebrities, and that’s a complicated world - particularly complicated for people who don’t have the superpowers, the disenfranchised.

"Now obviously there’s going to be hijinks and hilarity and sex and gadgets and all the things that made people buy the comics. But that’s what the show really is about to me, and that’s what Clark Gregg embodies: the Everyman.”

Avengers: Age Of Ultron
opens in cinemas in 2015.Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. begins airing in September 2013.

Can't wait to see Ultron on the big screen? Tell us below...

Comments

Aug 22nd 2013, 11:31

So stupid how Joss is messing around with Ultron's origin.

• chibik

Aug 22nd 2013, 11:50

Haven't they been messing with everyone's origin stories for the MCU? If it makes for a fun and coherent story, I don't see any reason to complain.

• hawkass

Aug 22nd 2013, 12:17

Yes, what @chibik said. They always tinker to make things work and flow in the movies. Different mediums and all that. As long as it works beside the existing movies then there shouldn't be a problem.

• CharsmatcEngma

Aug 22nd 2013, 12:31

@Chibik, agree. Hell even the comics always tinker with the stories and backgrounds of characters depending on who's writing or if they are one shot novels etc. What's wrong with the movies doing it? As long as it makes sense in their version of the universe, I'm all for it.

Aug 22nd 2013, 12:38

Oops I forgot Whedon can do no wrong and is Kubrick reborn. There is no need to alter anything! Marvel own the rights to Ant-Man and can easily plant the seeds of Ultron in that series, Whedon is rushing at the expense of Pym when there is no need to. Loki worked in The Avenger cause his origin was already covered in Thor 1.

• douchebag1

Aug 22nd 2013, 17:28

So what we know is that Ultron will be in Avengers 2 and not in Ant Man. Is it possible that Ultron will appear as the villain without an origin story in Avengers 2, the Avengers will defeat him, and then tracing him back to his origins will lead them to Pym? It seems so far that it's been an assumption that because Ant Man doesn't appear in Avengers 2, there's no possible way he's still Ultron's creator, and I'm not sure we should jump to that conclusion yet.

Aug 22nd 2013, 17:46

d****e - Whedon already confirmed Ultron will be getting a new origin. The common theory is they just use Tony Stark instead of Pym.